Preview Round 7, St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Friday 5th May, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevie J seems to be in everyone's firing line right now. Theres no doubting that he has lost pace and tank, but he still has some of the best footy smarts in the game, which is something that you dont lose.

When we brought him in last season there was a lot of talk about him only playing two out of every three weeks. He exceeded expectations and ended up playing just about a full season.

But obviously the time is now here where we need to manage his time and give him regular rests. Leon needs to be smart about which opposition his footy smarts will be more beneficial than his declining physical attributes.
I'm in the he's cooked camp. I dont think my opinion matters though, and from Leons press conference it's ckear he's not getting dropped anytime soon.

If we are going to learn stuff about ourselves I'd rather be doing it at this stage of the season.
Never keen to bag players but am leaning towards the Stevie is cooked camp, him out and Reid in just makes sense.

Perryman probably comes in for AK, will be interesting to watch if he does as the mock on him was that he was too slow to be elite..

You're not up for Whitfield coming straight back in?

Sorry to interrupt but re Jack Steele, which one of your midfielders was keeping him out?

Was it Hopper or Cal Ward or just a combination?
We were calling him Ward V2 at the start of last year. He was never going to take Wards position though. He's our midfield leader. My view it was when Hopper and Matt kennedy got games before him. Club said publicly he "may" have played in the PF to replace Stevie J except for an untimely injury.
It's not like he was consigned to NEAFL and forgotten about. Those sort of indications from our club are always genuine in my experience.
He at the stage where he needed to cement a spot in an AFL list to keep his career on track, and I for one am pleased to see him doing well.

Sorry to interrupt but re Jack Steele, which one of your midfielders was keeping him out?

Was it Hopper or Cal Ward or just a combination?

Nobody was keeping him out. He was ahead of Hopper but got a couple of niggly injuries at crucial stages which then took him out of contention at times and a bad foot right at the end of the season.

He played 7 in his first year and 10 (with injuries) in his second. Nothing wrong with that for a young footballer, but I suppose some young footballers don't want to wait anymore (I mean Tony Liberatore won not 1 but 2 Gardner medals - that's a lot of reserves footy for a Brownlow medalist)

He may have looked into the future and seen that others might go past him. Might have just wanted a change of scenery. But for mine, he was tracking nicely and ready for a breakout season.

You got a good one. Don't waste him.

Stevie J seems to be in everyone's firing line right now. Theres no doubting that he has lost pace and tank, but he still has some of the best footy smarts in the game, which is something that you dont lose.

When we brought him in last season there was a lot of talk about him only playing two out of every three weeks. He exceeded expectations and ended up playing just about a full season.

But obviously the time is now here where we need to manage his time and give him regular rests. Leon needs to be smart about which opposition his footy smarts will be more beneficial than his declining physical attributes.

I respect your views.

I just think he's completely cooked.

When that happens there are teltale signs, first they lose their agility, then they get fumbly and then they start to cheat.

He is cheating every game, losing his feet in contests, giving away free kicks, failing to make second efforts.

The guys don't need him on the field as a coach, he can do that as a runner. His presence is taking space away from others as well as development time.

I can handle him being there for one more game, a retirement game but with Greene and Whitfield back he has to go.

With Stevie J, I get what he offers as far as experience and on-field guidance but I think he needs to go, or at least be "managed" every third week. At this point I don't think getting a string of games together or continuity matters because he's not offering that much outside of his smarts, if even that. He's on a sharp decline and that doesn't seem to be halting any time soon. Personally I don't think he will be playing towards the tail end of the season if we have a near full strength side

My fear is that he'll keep playing throughout the year then come finals time Leon and the coaches will feel the pressure to create the fairytale story and put him in over someone who can offer more

You guys obviously have seen Jack more than we have and personally I love the brute.

Where would he stack in your midfield.

Clearly not Kelly/Shiel level and I rate Hopper to be in that category if not higher.
What Ichabod said, he knows what he's talking about.
Just add as a Giants Academy player from the ACT whatever colours he plays in they can be proud of their efforts, you're welcome.

Think he is done.
Though would be happy to be proven wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Don't let injuries worry you. It's a pain thru the season I know, but we had an absolute shocker last year with injuries and it turned out ok. Continuing this year too. But if you really really need it, you can borrow and amend our hashtag, bestowed upon us by jealous oppo fans :-
#sobravegiants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think its panic stations just yet, our top tier mids all had plenty of it but the strength of last year was the depth through there which probably also helped out the defenders. Currently our second tier midfield is made up of 1st and 2nd year players, considering this we have been pretty lucky to be near the pointy end of the ladder.

We have options

Shaw Davis Corr
Wilson Tommo Williams
Kelly Ward Scully
Ried Cameron Lachie
Smith Patton Lobb

Mumford Shiel Cogs

Harry Taranto DeBoer Kennedy

Forward line looks quicker

I feel bad for that Adelaide supporter from last night now...

:D
Had a super weekend...

Will be somewhat salvaged if West Coast hold on.

I agree with the talk that the forward line lacks pace and defensive pressure. Greene obviously covers a lot of holes because of his sheer brilliance.

And have to admit, while he's still contributing, I expected a little more from Lobb this season. Hasn't really hit his straps.

Last edited:
Given the free count was 22 to 10 he is no less full of shit when talking cricket as he is when sexting, not sure I'd paint all sainters with his brush :p

I don't think I'd paint anyone with his brush. Who knows where it's been???

Had a super weekend...

Will be somewhat salvaged if West Coast hold on.

I agree with the talk that the forward line lacks pace and defensive pressure. Greene obviously covers a lot of holes because of his sheer brilliance.

And have to admit, while he's still contributing, I expected a little more from Lobb this season. Hasn't really hit his straps.
Clearly you're a Croweater I agree with. Priority one Crows win closely followed by Port losing.
I dont think a windy wet afternoon in Tassie means very much to the Crows chances. I was happy to see Norths win. I think they're better than people think, and it's more important to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 7, St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Friday 5th May, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back