Autopsy Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been really impressed with his competitiveness, strength in the contest and power.
Thought muff had some good moments with impact on the game and kicked a goal. Then looked at the stats and outside the goal he got 5 goals disposals. Will struggle to keep his spot when Kelly comes back.

If only West Coast would give Melbourne some competition to keep the margin tight....

Looks like Melbourne will overtake us on percentage and Brisbane should beat Adelaide at home.

So, despite last night's win, we'll most likely finish the round in 9th but with a heck of a lot more optimism than last week.
Whilst Melbourne won big, their margin of victory was not too big to overhaul our %. So we will finish this round in the final 8 - maybe even 7th in the event of a (very unlikely) Brisbane loss to Adelaide.

Toby has received a fine from the MRO.

Greater Western Sydney skipper Toby Greene has copped a $6,250 fine ($3,750 with an early plea) for a third-quarter strike on Carlton's Brodie Kemp.

The Match Review Officer graded the incident as intentional, low impact and body contact.

The insights from this round at the AFL website - for us, Callan Ward is the key players for the round ahead.

6) Veteran is the new key to unlocking the Orange Tsunami

Callan Ward has played in just about every position, including the ruck, across his 306 matches but is now proving critical to the Giants' attempts to reignite their season since returning to a wing. The 34-year-old hardly needed to turn back the clock, but Ward has still reminded the Giants of his value as a hard-nosed yet versatile midfielder as they look to improve their spread and ball movement to play more games on their own terms. The Giants' inaugural co-captain gathered 30 disposals and booted two goals in the come-from-behind victory over Carlton on Saturday night to have six majors in the past three matches. He now looms as a pivotal player in the run home, especially with Josh Kelly sidelined for a month with a calf injury. – Martin Pegan

The insights from this round at the AFL website - for us, Callan Ward is the key players for the round ahead.

6) Veteran is the new key to unlocking the Orange Tsunami

Callan Ward has played in just about every position, including the ruck, across his 306 matches but is now proving critical to the Giants' attempts to reignite their season since returning to a wing. The 34-year-old hardly needed to turn back the clock, but Ward has still reminded the Giants of his value as a hard-nosed yet versatile midfielder as they look to improve their spread and ball movement to play more games on their own terms. The Giants' inaugural co-captain gathered 30 disposals and booted two goals in the come-from-behind victory over Carlton on Saturday night to have six majors in the past three matches. He now looms as a pivotal player in the run home, especially with Josh Kelly sidelined for a month with a calf injury. – Martin Pegan

Hope Cal goes on next year … even as a back up

I’ve been really impressed with his competitiveness, strength in the contest and power.
He is super clean.
A few times he went through the traffic and outside the other side.
I really like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite an odd set of coaches' votes from the game - some agreement & some wild disagreement:

View attachment 2042940
So there is 2 players with a 4-0, 2 players with a 3 and1, and 2 players with a 2-0.

Glad Daniels got points thought he was terrific, the only surprising omission for me is Finn

... and 2 1 players with a 2-02.
Correction as above.

Glad Daniels got points thought he was terrific, the only surprising omission for me is Finn
Well, the coaches have to follow a 5-4-3-2-1 so I'm not surprised - they couldn't fit them all in. As it was, by disagreeing, they've squeezed in more than I would have expected.

I would point out that I gave votes to all 5 of the GWS players whom the coaches gave votes ... plus Finn.

Make me a coach!! :)

Correction as above.

Well, the coaches have to follow a 5-4-3-2-1 so I'm not surprised - they couldn't fit them all in. As it was, by disagreeing, they've squeezed in more than I would have expected.

I would point out that I gave votes to all 5 of the GWS players whom the coaches gave votes ... plus Finn.

Make me a coach!! :)
I always feel vindicated when I give points to a player that not many (or any) others do. And they get coaches votes.
And yes meant 2 and 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back