Preview Round 7, St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Friday 5th May, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad call
But Leon always announces debutants early in the week. It hasn't happened so I'm assuming Matt Kennedy and Taranto particularly play forward.
Possibly Adam Kennedy to play Reid's role.
Taranto fascinates me, I see him do brilliant things, inevitable I guess, his inexperience leads to poor decisions at times. He does have the advantage some of our mids lacked in that he has more experience and leadership around him.
Taranto has been very, very solid.

Taranto has been very, very solid.
I didn't say he wasn't. I've watched him play every game live and I stand by my statement he does make poor decisions at times. For a player of his inexperience at senior level that not a reason to worry much IMO and his overall contribution is outstanding.

Would love to see HH play an intercept role. His reading of the play is exceptional for his age.

Also would love to see Lloyd get a run
Himmelburg will never get a better chance, and he stepped up when given a chance last year. Will be watching with interest if he plays loose tall.
I have a feeling Corr is building and Wilson playing himself back into form as well. I think they might be ready for great games this week.

Himmelburg will never get a better chance, and he stepped up when given a chance last year. Will be watching with interest if he plays loose tall.
I have a feeling Corr is building and Wilson playing himself back into form as well. I think they might be ready for great games this week.
HH will neve get a better chance to showcase his talents.

Agree with all the HH sentiments. Only out from full strength backline is the one he is best suited too and he will get a fair crack at settling into the role given Haynes is out for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit of a review of some players of last week/preview of players in general. Seemed most appropriate in here...

I thought Taranto’s game last week was underrated. He’s shown glimpses so far this year but his game last Friday to me screamed future star. What impressed me most was his composure and ability to select the right option. First quarter, hot game, and I counted at least 3-4 classy decisions that really set up the play. Elite hands in close, good decision maker, and just so clean. Also counted two terrific spoils, and you know he’ll use that leap to take some grabs up forward before too long. As a high pick he’s flying under the radar, but is showing enough signs to say he’s going to be an excellent player.

Aidan Corr was another that was superb last week, and not enough love for his game. His closing speed is a real asset as he can play on both talls and smalls. Caught one out with Bonts a few times last week and handled it well on every occasion. I can see why you guys have talked him up in the past, I don’t see how he wouldn’t ever make your best 22 given the signs he’s showing. Massive fan!

Now, Josh Kelly. Absolute star, class act, jet. Love watching him play more than just about anyone else. However he needs to use his right leg more. I know he’s got one, as he belted a raking right foot pass inside 50 against us last year, so he’s perfectly capable. A few times last week he could’ve gone the right instead he opted to straighten up and go on the left, resulting in some ineffectual kicks. Actually cost you guys a goal vs Port. Coaches should be telling him to back his right, or else teams will be doing everything they can to take away his space and try and cramp his kicks.

I’m still not entirely convinced on Matt Kennedy. He’s got two really good things going for him; first off he’s absolutely hard as nails, strong tackler, can’t question his endeavour. Secondly he’s showing good signs of winning the contested footy, plus that contested mark he took on the wing in the fourth was great. However I do question his skills, and his fitness, as I’ve often seen him looking totally spent. Being only 20 his fitness will improve, but I feel like he needs more hurt factor with ball in hand. Like fitness, maybe that will come over time as he gets used to the pace. It’s good that he’s been given a string of games, that will help.

Secondly, Hopper. And I know that’s probably a controversial one but hear me out. Like Kennedy, tough as nails, strong tackler, contested bull (57% of his possessions for the year are contested, a huge number). But also like Kennedy, I sometimes question his ball use. Sometimes his decision making with ball in hand is poor. As mentioned, great contested player, excellent potential to be a stoppage king, and still very young. At times he does things that really impressive me, then other times I’ll question what his long-term potential is.

Question, is there room long term for both Kennedy and Hopper? Maybe. If you disagree with any of my assessments have a crack! I’m a Crows fan, but also really like the Giants, as you might have known. I try to watch all of your games so I like to think I know what I’m talking about.

Pretty happy with the team announced. I really think Kenners offers a lot of flexibility to throw around. He could line up us named, got to the wing or play half forward flank if needed. Even Wilson, named on wing, could offer LC that ability to roll between hbf and wing. Not sure about a forward role. Loves a long goal though.

This is a bit of a review of some players of last week/preview of players in general. Seemed most appropriate in here...
Nice writeup there, Drummond, probably wouldn't argue too much. Obviously we'd like to think that Hopper is a future star given all that was written about him in the leadup to the draft - and Matty K to a slightly lesser extent. The problem for us is probably how we react to outside offers - I think in both cases they were talked up too much, but we obviously want to hold onto them as NSW boys and even if they are depth, but do we match a massive offer that probably outstrips their likely value?

Another underrated player to give kudos to is Adam Kennedy. Picked up as previously overlooked in the draft, more a journeyman type than a star, but he gives 100% and while I would never mark him down as best 22 he's sitting on 82 games, and always does a solid job in defence (or wherever he pinch hits).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 7, St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Friday 5th May, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back