Preview Round 8: The Sydney Swans vs. The Melbourne Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the whole, yeah ok let's drop White & Everitt & Reid etc argument. It's not as though if we bring in other talls to replace them they'll perform better. Structurally we have no choice. Seriously, how much more influence is Pyke, Walsh and.... <insert another non existent tall here> going to have. I understand to play your best 22, but unless we want to stock up the forward line with B grade midfielders then I don't understand what the changes are going to do. There is absolutely no guarantee that they will perform better. At the same time Walsh and Pyke are NOT going to slot in well and perform anything more, at the very least Reid brings it to ground. They're dealing with AFL first/second defenders, it's going to take them a while to adapt. Maybe against Melbourne we can afford to, but really I cannot see how on EARTH they can deal with those 1st/2nd defenders. Best case scenario they break even, probable case easy pickings and marks for the opposition, quick rebounds etc.

White/Reid is not working in terms of scoreboard, but bring in a Pyke/Walsh combination & watch not only the scoreboard remain at 0 but the crumbers get nothing and the opposition scoring from it.

They really couldn't offer much less.

I don't understand the whole, yeah ok let's drop White & Everitt & Reid etc argument. It's not as though if we bring in other talls to replace them they'll perform better. Structurally we have no choice. Seriously, how much more influence is Pyke, Walsh and.... <insert another non existent tall here> going to have. I understand to play your best 22, but unless we want to stock up the forward line with B grade midfielders then I don't understand what the changes are going to do. There is absolutely no guarantee that they will perform better. At the same time Walsh and Pyke are NOT going to slot in well and perform anything more, at the very least Reid brings it to ground. They're dealing with AFL first/second defenders, it's going to take them a while to adapt. Maybe against Melbourne we can afford to, but really I cannot see how on EARTH they can deal with those 1st/2nd defenders. Best case scenario they break even, probable case easy pickings and marks for the opposition, quick rebounds etc.

I would bring in Pyke as the back up ruck/forward. Seaby looks tired and while mummy is not fit yet I think we need someone who can really help in the ruck and forward (even defensively). Seaby isn't imposing enough and he certainly cannot ruck almost single handedly like mummy can. I certainly don't think the answer is dropping Reid. He really does need to stay. But maybe a switch Pyke for Everitt. Play ROK or Jude as the sub and go from there. TDL needs to stay forward with Reid and resting ruck man.

I do think Pyke offers more defensively just by being there. Jesse isn't mean enough!!!

Based on the fact it's impossible to go below 'zero impact'.

No I really don't think it is. At least they're not conceding and bringing the ball to ground.

Pyke I want to see in because I know he has had stints in the F50 in the reserves and played a few games but really Walsh over Reid? No.

I don't understand this, ok sure let's bring Reid into the reserves, get his confidence up in a lower league like we did with White, and then have him play again and have the cycle repeat? The only way he's going to improve is to is learn from experience. I think that is more beneficial to his long-term development than playing him when he's on song and dropping him when he's off - form then expecting him to recapture or magically transfer that into senior play. Completely different quality and standards here.

How many games does Reid get before we drop him? Or is he completely immune from being dropped?

For what it's worth, I think allowing him to go back to the reserves, get to run and jump at the ball and hopefully kick a bag is going to do more for his development than continue to get pummelled and lose all confidence in his game whilst playing for the seniors.

Part of Reid's issues is that he is being used in the wrong role. He should be playing futher up the ground providing leads on the wings and acting as a conduit between the half-back and half-forward lines. He's currently playing as a deep lying forward where he's forced to wrestle with 1 or 2 defenders and he isn't strong enough at this stage of his career to prove successful in that role. He also needs support and over the course of the past fortnight none of White, LRT or Everitt have been able to do that. Reg was a little better in his cameo up forward but I don't expect that to be a permanent move.

How many games does Reid get before we drop him? Or is he completely immune from being dropped?

For what it's worth, I think allowing him to go back to the reserves, get to run and jump at the ball and hopefully kick a bag is going to do more for his development than continue to get pummelled and lose all confidence in his game whilst playing for the seniors.

He's injured and has been for 4 weeks. Need to give him a rest. It's been terrible what we have done to him. He could hardly run past a jog today. Invest in the future.

No I really don't think it is. At least they're not conceding and bringing the ball to ground.

Pyke I want to see in because I know he has had stints in the F50 in the reserves and played a few games but really Walsh over Reid? No.

I don't understand this, ok sure let's bring Reid into the reserves, get his confidence up in a lower league like we did with White, and then have him play again and have the cycle repeat? The only way he's going to improve is to is learn from experience. I think that is more beneficial to his long-term development than playing him when he's on song and dropping him when he's off - form then expecting him to recapture or magically transfer that into senior play. Completely different quality and standards here.

In the forward line today White did not bring the ball to ground. He jumped into packs to late to get into a competitive position. He had a couple of nice things playing second ruck but am I getting sick of saying that. Horse was forced to move Grundy to the forward line and keep White on the bench until he rucked. Im not sure about dropping him as he missed a game from the two's when he traveled and a run in the ones with continuity but there is nothing redeeming about Whites game today.

Evereett's second term was redeeming a little. He got himself option reasonable position and made a nice pass across to McGlynn in range (who muffed it of course). Everett had a poor game and he's the favorite whipping boy but could have been worse against the Tigers.

It's not unfeasable from that McGlynn could be looked at by the MRP for an intentional trip when he was on the ground and went the leg option. I'll wait to the replay tomorrow for definitive but he could be missing.

Don't get the Everitt hate after today. OK, he had one terrible miss, but he was easily the most involved of our forwards, he provided a good option up on the flank, he used it well when he got it, and he kicked a goal. He was one of our better performers overall. Not great, but beyond 5 or so players nobody was great.

It's time to give Pyke a run. White just doesn't get involved enough. As for Reid, all the same argument for keeping him still apply, but the argument for dropping him just got a whole lot stronger. I'm leaning towards keeping him if only so we don't have to put up with Reidfactor's gloating. :eek:

McGlynn needs a rest I think. I'd be tempted to bring in Cunningham or Morton for him.

should've played reid in the ruck for awhile, and let him get a touch.. i questioned reids form long before anyone here, he needs a rest or a new position for awhile.. heard a rumour he has a brother whose an all australian backman.. something needs to be done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to warm to the idea of a Seaby/Pyke combo, lessen the load on Seaby by splitting the ruck time about 60/40. Pyke can and will attack the contests hard in the forward line although his kicking for goal is somewhat hit and miss (still more reliable than Reid's)

Hate to single 1 player out in a poor performence but Seaby is useless. Can't mark, can't kick, no intensity, is ok in the ruck buts a half decent ruckman cuts him up around the ground. His only saving grace is probably that fact White was probably a little worse today.

Morton and Walsh should come in in. Leave Reid in for 1 more week and see if he can get some confidence from a struggling playing a struggling dee's outfit (although if the team play as they did today, Melbourne will win).

Love to see Pyke for Seaby but it probably won't happen (maybe he'll come in for White, but would rather play Pyke first ruck atleast he goes a hell of alot harder then Seaby...which would leave White & Seaby fighting for the ruck/foward position where White should be chosen over Seaby, although I'd rather both play reserves)

Everitts second efforts and chasing today was disgusting, being at the game you really notice. honestly he was embarrassing. Reid takes the number 1 defender every week and just needs time to develop. I know he has done nothing for a while but dropping him for a Walsh or whoever will do nothing for him and likely nothing for the team.
Seaby was embarrassing today he has to go, Pyke at least goes hard.

Everitts second efforts and chasing today was disgusting, being at the game you really notice. honestly he was embarrassing. Reid takes the number 1 defender every week and just needs time to develop. I know he has done nothing for a while but dropping him for a Walsh or whoever will do nothing for him and likely nothing for the team.
Seaby was embarrassing today he has to go, Pyke at least goes hard.

The last time Reid kicked a goal for us was round 3 against Port Adelaide. Since then we have played North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Adelaide and Richmond and in those 4 matches Reid has not kicked a single goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 8: The Sydney Swans vs. The Melbourne Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back