Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to fathom that Rowbottom was a whipping boy once upon a time but because of how bad we looked in the midfield without him we are like, "Please help us Rowy!!"
Has been quality since pretty much day one. I remember him getting about 30 touches and the full 10 coaches votes in his very first reserves game in a Swans jumper, and he was the youngest Swan since Parker nearly a decade earlier to be playing midfield for us in his first year at the club. By his second year he was leading by example through our toughest season in decades at just 19 years old.

Safe to say there's been some... rigorous... debate over the journey as to his role in the team, but I'd question anyone's acumen if they didn't realise what a seriously good player he's always been.

Small forward? Be the largest small forward in history
I don't class Parker as a small forward. He's a mid who can cause some trouble when he goes up forward in patches. Mostly due to marking ability and at stoppages, not at zipping around causing mayhem.

But he's the same height as Charlie Cameron, who is regarded as one of the best small forwards in the league.

To be fair, he is probably the best sub going around in the competition. I’d get nervous seeing him come on late in the third, as an opposition coach.

Yeah I agree, otherwise he looks bog ordinary anyway playing longer game time

About the changes I expected, would've dropped Wicks as well as it's hard enough carrying out of form stars, no need to carry out of form fringes as well....likely won't decide the result but still would've preferred an in form Cleary or the like get a go.
Campbell is too talented to be performing as ordinary as he is so needed to go, think he needs to start dominating in the 2's before coming back...not just have 'good' games actually go back and start playing like he's too good for the level, he's got the talent to do that. Ideally they'll actually play him in the 2's in the same flanking roles he'd get at AFL level, we've seen playing him in the VFL mids doesn't translate into anything when he steps back up to AFL.

But mainly, thank **** Ladhams isn't playing, can't be trusted to not do stupid things at VFL, let alone AFL. The only game he should play, barring injuries, is Grundy's rest game(s).....which ideally would be the Injectors game against another useless ruck who wouldn't be able to expose us in Draper, suspect we'll need to get the W this week (and hopefully next) before Grundy would even put his hand up for a rest, let along Horse.

Is only 2cm taller than Wicks.

Wicks needs to kick some goals surely?
Wicks seems to go in fits and starts. Hopefully he's due a cracker.

Agree that Parker is slower, and tailed a bit after the North game, but still think he'd simply do a bit more of everything and offer a marking target up forward.

People get very angry without naming who should be dropped

Let me guess Wicks, amartey? maybe Adams as some hate him!

Which senior key player did people want dropped? Mills, Heeney, Gulden, Parker, Warner? Mccartin Blakey?
Granted, it’s tough.

But Parker has been on the fringe & was less than impactful last week when introduced.

Wicks hasn’t really justified a spot for quite some time now.

Corey isn’t yet a proven AFL standard.

I feel Campbell has been part of our success all season & I can’t quite figure out how he’s suddenly fallen behind the aforementioned three.

Wicks seems to go in fits and starts. Hopefully he's due a cracker.

Agree that Parker is slower, and tailed a bit after the North game, but still think he'd simply do a bit more of everything and offer a marking target up forward.

Agree. Right now he is a no brainer to start forward and pinch hit in the guts to relieve Rowbottom

Parker can take a grab and at least you know he will keep it forward

Granted, it’s tough.

But Parker has been on the fringe & was less than impactful last week when introduced.

Wicks hasn’t really justified a spot for quite some time now.

Corey isn’t yet a proven AFL standard.

I feel Campbell has been part of our success all season & I can’t quite figure out how he’s suddenly fallen behind the aforementioned three.

I just feel Campbell doesn't really matter to the team , you could forget he was playing, but I also think he never gets a go in his best spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been quality since pretty much day one. I remember him getting about 30 touches and the full 10 coaches votes in his very first reserves game in a Swans jumper, and he was the youngest Swan since Parker nearly a decade earlier to be playing midfield for us in his first year at the club. By his second year he was leading by example through our toughest season in decades at just 19 years old.

Safe to say there's been some... rigorous... debate over the journey as to his role in the team, but I'd question anyone's acumen if they didn't realise what a seriously good player he's always been.
Wow.. Ive not responded to many of your hypocritical posts regarding Rowbottom (and other topics).. but, I cant bite my tongue any longer.

You wrote 10 or more posts, in the 6 months post Hewett being traded, suggesting the Swans should trade Rowbottom. Now you are questioning... "anyone's acumen if they didn't realise what a seriously good player he's always been."

The aforementioned three being Wicks, Warner Jr. and Parker.

Wicks has been just as much a part of our success all season as Campbell, no? Wicks has played 15 out of 19 games this year. Campbell has played 17 out of 19 games, but been sub in four of them.

Warner Jr. played six straight VFL games just to get his spot, and even then it was as sub, and even then he was more impactful as sub than Campbell was.

And Parker... well, he's a pretty good player who didn't even get a look in until round 18(!)

So I'm personally not surprised at all that he's behind those three at present.

Wow.. Ive not responded to many of your hypocritical posts regarding Rowbottom (and other topics).. but, I cant bite my tongue any longer.

You wrote 10 or more posts, in the 6 months post Hewett being traded, suggesting the Swans should trade Rowbottom. Now you are questioning... "anyone's acumen if they didn't realise what a seriously good player he's always been."
Nowhere did I say it was because he wasn't a good player.

The aforementioned three being Wicks, Warner Jr. and Parker.

Wicks has been just as much a part of our success all season as Campbell, no? Wicks has played 15 out of 19 games this year. Campbell has played 17 out of 19 games, but been sub in four of them.

Warner Jr. played six straight VFL games just to get his spot, and even then it was as sub, and even then he was more impactful as sub than Campbell was.

And Parker... well, he's a pretty good player who didn't even get a look in until round 18(!)

So I'm personally not surprised at all that he's behind those three at present.
I’m surprised, but not surprised - Campbell always tends to be on the chopping block when we’re not going too well as a team.

I’m perhaps a bit harsh on Wicks - but 10 goals in 15 games & not a lot of crumbing or keeping the ball locked inside 50 ….. I’m just not sure what his actual strengths are at present.

With both Parker & Mills back … and underdone … it feels a bit like we’ve gone from young fast & dynamic back to strong but stodgy. Again, maybe too harsh & likely a reaction to last week.

Corey is still on an upward trajectory & perhaps does fit better with McI out. So in hindsight, not surprised Campbell has fallen behind him.

Part of it is also probably because he’s such a high draft pick & an academy player, I just reeeeealy want Campbell to succeed.

I’m surprised, but not surprised - Campbell always tends to be on the chopping block when we’re not going too well as a team.

I’m perhaps a bit harsh on Wicks - but 10 goals in 15 games & not a lot of crumbing or keeping the ball locked inside 50 ….. I’m just not sure what his actual strengths are at present.

With both Parker & Mills back … and underdone … it feels a bit like we’ve gone from young fast & dynamic back to strong but stodgy. Again, maybe too harsh & likely a reaction to last week.

Corey is still on an upward trajectory & perhaps does fit better with McI out. So in hindsight, not surprised Campbell has fallen behind him.

Part of it is also probably because he’s such a high draft pick & an academy player, I just reeeeealy want Campbell to succeed.
But exactly what you're saying about Wicks could be said about Campbell, too. I do share your desire to see Campbell succeed but him being a high draft pick doesn't make him any different to Wicks to me. I want every Swan to succeed.

Re Parker & Mills taking us from young, fast and dynamic to strong and stodgy, it's worth remembering that we lost to Freo & St Kilda before we brought either of them back. We'd well and truly lost our dynamism before their returns, and that was actually what took us from "We don't need those guys right now" to "Let's see if they can fix things."

Nowhere did I say it was because he wasn't a good player.
maybe not, but you repeatedly said he should be traded. Im not a list manager, but I wouldn't think its a good idea to trade good players?,, especially when the role he was being developed for was the role Hewett used to play.

So, why did you want to trade him?

Part of what annoys me about Campbell is that we've refused to play him in the position he was drafted as. I think he got maybe 2 dedicated games at half forward in late 2021.

He doesn't mind a chase and tackle, so give him Wicks' role for a couple of weeks even. Or give that to Corey and let Campbell try and be a goalsneak. One of his draft strengths was lead up marking.

Random Gulden heat maps one is pre rain v GWS and the other from the Dogs game.

So many wide touches now and his running is more focused to one side

Stop running wide to nothing spaces for cheapies
IMG_0774.jpeg IMG_0775.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back