Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of being facetious. Jen's post outlined Curnow's goal tally the last time we met, and the only player on her list who didn't play that day was Big Bill.

We all know Charlie will likely have a big day regardless of who is playing on him. The umps usually ensure that happens anyway.
surprisingly
Yep. Five of them from soft free-kicks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
when DARCY learns to stop wrapping arms around him , and other defenders, the free kick count might drop

I'd personally be going:
Out: Sidebottom
In: Dean

Play Dean on the resting ruck, with Frampton/Moore taking the lions share on Mckay/Curnow, and utilize Howe of a wing to fold back on the play and play as the spare at all times. I'm only going Sidebottom out over Lipinski, as I would give Lipinski the role on Acres - who as pointed out by a few on here, is so vital to Carlton's set up. Lippa has the tank for it, and imo always looks best when given a clear role in the side. Using Lippa out on that wing role means we can bring WHE back i50 where against a Carlton backline that imo is a bit of a "mixed bag" in terms of quality, is the sort of guy that can sneak under the radar and have an impact.

I think the forward line of Mihocek (+ Cox/DC) and the smaller brigade can work against Carlton as long we don't play in to Weitering's hands by constantly going long and high without direction.

Limiting Walsh and Cripps will be key - Pendles has done well matched up against Crippa in the past, and do we look to that well again? Someone like Levi Greenwood would be the dream to send to a Walsh type, but sadly those days are gone and we don't really have anyone to perform that role at present, we just need to limit the opportunities we allow them to explode out the front of the stoppage.

I'd personally be going:

Play Dean on the resting ruck, with Frampton/Moore taking the lions share on Mckay/Curnow, and utilize Howe of a wing to fold back on the play and play as the spare at all times. I'm only going Sidebottom out over Lipinski, as I would give Lipinski the role on Acres - who as pointed out by a few on here, is so vital to Carlton's set up. Lippa has the tank for it, and imo always looks best when given a clear role in the side. Using Lippa out on that wing role means we can bring WHE back i50 where against a Carlton backline that imo is a bit of a "mixed bag" in terms of quality, is the sort of guy that can sneak under the radar and have an impact.

I think the forward line of Mihocek (+ Cox/DC) and the smaller brigade can work against Carlton as long we don't play in to Weitering's hands by constantly going long and high without direction.

Limiting Walsh and Cripps will be key - Pendles has done well matched up against Crippa in the past, and do we look to that well again? Someone like Levi Greenwood would be the dream to send to a Walsh type, but sadly those days are gone and we don't really have anyone to perform that role at present, we just need to limit the opportunities we allow them to explode out the front of the stoppage.

While Sidebottom simply has to be the out (at minimum), the number one issue in this game is going to be our midfield winning their share of the clearances

If we let Carlton do to us what Port and Essendon did in the first quarters, there won't be any coming back

We will not lose .to those blue baggers.
We need a bit of grunt and speed in the midfield so not sure about the changes maybe Sidebottom can be thrown forward ,get him out of the midfield and he is too slow for wing.
Crisp is better a sub impacts better especially since he has been down on form.
Mitchell must come in and we need either a Sullivan or Bytel to give the team some energy .
Harrison is okay but not sold on him.

But who do we drop ???? Cant lose to Carlton !
Pies are back .Pies by 15 points in a thriller.
Jamie to ice the game

Nah, Mitchell is going to be incredibly important for us against Carlton

Only change we need is Sidebottom out and either Reef, Sullivan or Fin in

Given it's Carlton, we need as much midfield depth/grunt as possible so it should probably be Sullivan or Fin for Steele. Hosk or Lipinski can play wing.
I reckon the coaches will back Sidey in to reverse last week’s form in such an important game, especially off the 8 day break. He could possibly be sub but doubt he’ll be dropped or given a rest this week. More likely that we go in unchanged or maybe a change of sub in my mind.

I'd personally be going:

Crisp , JDG also play on Cripps, not as concerned with Walsh given he is far smaller than Cripps.

Crisp , JDG also play on Cripps, not as concerned with Walsh given he is far smaller than Cripps.
Crisp and JDG are good shouts to spend some time on Cripps.

I am in the opposite camp though and actually worry more about Walsh than Cripps. While he is smaller, Walsh's ability to accumulate the footy and his ability to make space and be damaging with his disposal concerns me the most. At the contest obviously limiting Cripps, cuts them off at the source, but having someone around the ground being able to quell how much Walsh can create for them will also go a long way in getting the win.

Curnow too athletic for Billy. Our skipper has to do the job. I'm worried about matching up with Dekonning. Howe may go to Curnow and Moore to Dekonning. But Howe has been struggling so it's a big concern.

Moore to Chaz
Billy to Harry
Howie to TDK

We don't really have a match up for TDK. Wouldn't shock me to see Dean come back in. Although the Dons went tall and we were able to manage their talls well after the initial onslaught. In saying that, it's a different beast with Mckay, Curnow and TDK.

We really struggle when our key defenders are forced to play tight one-on-one roles and don’t get to zone-off, intercept and rebound.

Unfortunately that’s what’s going to happen against Carlton, with Moore, Frampton and Howe fully occupied by Curnow, McKay and DeKoning. All three of those Carlton talls are very mobile and capable of kicking 3-4 goals if given too much time and space. They showed against GWS just how quickly and devastatingly they can get off the chain. And Moore’s record on Curnow is not good.

So our boys will have to lock down on them, which will rob us of our usual drive out of defence.

Consequently, I expect the Blues to prevail by 4-5 goals.

Like last year when he bathed him early in the year? Let's not be fooled by Curnows 6 fa against us late in the year. We had the cue in the rack and Curnow had the umpires in his pocket.

If we give Carlton the same start as we did against Essendon and Port we will lose by 10 goals.
Carlton have the ability to put the foot on the throat when they are up by a few goals. Something we haven't done well at a consistent level for 2 years. (hence all these close games).
I hope we beat them, I am not confident at the moment we will.

Do they though?

They've basically played in close games all season. They nearly lost to Freo and Richmond and got rolled by the Crows. Not exactly stellar formlines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore to Chaz
Billy to Harry
Howie to TDK

We don't really have a match up for TDK. Wouldn't shock me to see Dean come back in. Although the Dons went tall and we were able to manage their talls well after the initial onslaught. In saying that, it's a different beast with Mckay, Curnow and TDK.
TDK is si athletic and that makes him a bigger threat as Howe used to handle bigger opponents with his leap and mobility. TDK matches him in that department and is a lot bigger.

The only comfort is that TDK has never kicked a bag or torn a game apart as a forward. His bark is worse than his bite
Touch wood this continues.

You mean when the Blues were in the worst of their slump?

What about when we played them the second time? That’s more representative of how they’re playing now.

We were trash in the final 6 weeks of 2023, so there's no comparison to make.

So many on here are haunted of events against Carlton from 40 years ago.

Time to move on and smash these campaigners on Friday night. We're the reigning premiers. Get some heckin swagger back.

I reckon the coaches will back Sidey in to reverse last week’s form in such an important game, especially off the 8 day break. He could possibly be sub but doubt he’ll be dropped or given a rest this week. More likely that we go in unchanged or maybe a change of sub in my mind.
After the serious shoulder injury Sidey suffered on Anzac Day I was shocked he was not subbed at quarter time

This could get real ugly.

If you study their form line it's not really that much better than ours...

Other than GWS (really good win) they've beaten 2 x bottom-four sides (Richmond and North), and lost to a struggling Adelaide.

Beat Brisbane which looked like a great win at the time but Brisbane's form since would say otherwise.

Lucky to beat Fremantle thanks to the umpiring.

Margin to Geelong flattered them as well.

Fin may find himself playing at this rate

Don't be silly, the whole 22 would have to go down for Fly give him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back