Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They looked like they were matched up on each other for most of the night but I didn't hear any of the commentators suggest that Membrey was playing a defensive role at all through the night.

That's something I'd imagine would get picked up by one of the commentators if it was actually happening. Especially considering how well Aliir was reading the footy.

As if commentators know anything. It certainly looked like Membrey was paying very close attention to Alir and that he was struggling.

Agree Premium, but after the loss to Port I question some of Ratts match day decision making and planning.

Melbourne play four tall forwards (Brown, McDonald, Fritsch and Jackson). It works because they are constantly creating space leading and blocking for each other. Our tall forwards become far too predictable when the opposition know where its going.

The long bomb to King is fine when we are not playing against elite intercepting teams. But if we are to improve against those teams we need to drastically improve our F50 entries and planning.

Geelong are another team who are excellent at setting up down back and taking intercept marks. I believe we have the forward players to play a similiar game to Melbournes, Ratts just needs to get away from the insistence of constantly playing 3 small forwards and the 'long bomb'.

It's not an issue so much as some other things, I just still see it as an area for improvement and would prefer more physicality and marking power hence wanting Highmore included. Although our defenders do a good job I think they're punching above their weight and would not be giving other teams nightmares. I want Battle and Highmore as roaming interceptors.

Wilkie, Fullback*, Pato
Batts, Doogs, Highmore

Bench: Coffield

Some have noted that this group lacks offensive run, but I'd rather players that mark the ball and can kick to a target.
With our wingers not getting enough ball we would struggle to get any run out of that backline. Melbourne get away with it because brayshaw and Langdon provide so much run as does Salem when available. It also helps that they have petracca and Oliver to given them a hand.

They looked like they were matched up on each other for most of the night but I didn't hear any of the commentators suggest that Membrey was playing a defensive role at all through the night.

That's something I'd imagine would get picked up by one of the commentators if it was actually happening. Especially considering how well Aliir was reading the footy.
That’s my point. No way does membery ever play a defensive role. He spends half his time running up and down the ground which means alir is on his own most of the time so I’m not actually sure membery or alir are together to often.

As if commentators know anything. It certainly looked like Membrey was paying very close attention to Alir and that he was struggling.
Yes all the other forwards had a night out. I don’t understand your opinion about membery most of the time. Yes he struggled against port but he was clearly our best forward last week yet you said he was poor or at least ordinary. He was much better than that.

Agree Premium, but after the loss to Port I question some of Ratts match day decision making and planning.

Melbourne play four tall forwards (Brown, McDonald, Fritsch and Jackson). It works because they are constantly creating space leading and blocking for each other. Our tall forwards become far too predictable when the opposition know where its going.

The long bomb to King is fine when we are not playing against elite intercepting teams. But if we are to improve against those teams we need to drastically improve our F50 entries and planning.

Geelong are another team who are excellent at setting up down back and taking intercept marks. I believe we have the forward players to play a similiar game to Melbournes, Ratts just needs to get away from the insistence of constantly playing 3 small forwards and the 'long bomb'.
Melbourne long bomb. Every side does. There isn’t enough space to constantly find forwards. Our problem last week was we didn’t get it quickly or deep enough until after half time. We were trying to take lever and may out of the game but forgot we actually had to score. In defence of the players though Melbourne like Richmond previously have a great set up behind the ball. You don’t realise how good it until you see them play live.

Melbourne long bomb. Every side does. There isn’t enough space to constantly find forwards. Our problem last week was we didn’t get it quickly or deep enough until after half time. We were trying to take lever and may out of the game but forgot we actually had to score. In defence of the players though Melbourne like Richmond previously have a great set up behind the ball. You don’t realise how good it until you see them play live.
But they have that luxury because they have a very good midfield that usually wins the ball first and allows the defence to setup properly.

This is true.

And if you go and read other teams autopsy threads you will see exactly the same issues and complaints with every club.

It's the modern game unfortunately. Sides have become so good at defending an area rather than the man that it become almost impossible at times to find space to lead.

And the sides that are getting beaten around the ground are the ones that are forced to kick long because the opposition has more time to set up.

The Hawthorn game is the perfect example. Everyone was marking the footy on the lead. Not because we just decided to lead all of a sudden, but because we were smashing Hawthorn everywhere around the ground and they had no time to set up.

Flip it around to the Melbourne game and it's a conpletely different story. Our slow game plan definitely didn't help our forwards though

What i hate about playing Geelong, is when they find a soft free kick for Hawkins in the dying minutes of the day, and then give away 50 because the spotted the Saints runner rolling his ( or her ) eyes up slightly, and he kicks the winning goal, the commentators nod their heads wisely and say " That's the Cats , always find a way to get it done ".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ, Owens was impressive.

32 disposals, 18 contested possessions, 10 clearances, eight inside-50s

Surely gets a look in.

I think he needs longer, he was great at getting touches but as others have said it was pretty messy. He's going to be a gun if he keeps that up though. Byrnes has been good for weeks and not getting a look in, spots are very tight.

Oh, $1.60 I think

Edit: we've now come into $2.10, Geelong $1.70
Did you think the odds should've been closer?

I think it's fair enough, I'm actually pretty nervous about the game. Our recent form against Geelong isn't great and Cameron is red hot. Not sure what impact Butler's omission has on the side either, think he's the best small forward pressure player in the competition. If we keep insisting on bombing it on King's head all game again I think Stewart will tear us apart. Hope I am wrong.

I think he needs longer, he was great at getting touches but as others have said it was pretty messy. He's going to be a gun if he keeps that up though. Byrnes has been good for weeks and not getting a look in, spots are very tight.
Probably an unpopular opinion but what difference is having someone like Gresham in the side then? Gresham hacks it forward at every opportunity, one of the worst kicks we've got. Granted he's a goal kicking threat but is someone like him really much more of a different player to someone like Owens, excluding experience? I think we should be able to fit Owens in.

Yes all the other forwards had a night out. I don’t understand your opinion about membery most of the time. Yes he struggled against port but he was clearly our best forward last week yet you said he was poor or at least ordinary. He was much better than that.

I thought he was no good in either. He was okay up the ground because he touched the ball but when he got near the forward line he ****ed up everything he touched when he's meant to be a leader. If you best forward kicks 1.2 it's no wonder we sucked. He played as a running high half forward from what I could tell but he wasn't delivering inside 50 well and he was scoring. He might have been the best of a bunch of shit but that's hardly an achievement.

I think it's fair enough, I'm actually pretty nervous about the game. Our recent form against Geelong isn't great and Cameron is red hot. Not sure what impact Butler's omission has on the side either, think he's the best small forward pressure player in the competition. If we keep insisting on bombing it on King's head all game again I think Stewart will tear us apart. Hope I am wrong.

Probably an unpopular opinion but what difference is having someone like Gresham in the side then? Gresham hacks it forward at every opportunity, one of the worst kicks we've got. Granted he's a goal kicking threat but is someone like him really much more of a different player to someone like Owens, excluding experience? I think we should be able to fit Owens in.

Gresham's ability to get around players and turn 50/50 balls our way is elite, he's not perfect and just off one of his worst games but he has other strings to his bow. I think Mitch will need to play on ball when he comes in, that seems to be his best spot but he'd have to push out one of the three that are already performing. We need wins right now. I'd say that he's unlikely to get a run this week.

Yep, as I said in my post, I thought It was closer to 50-50

Geelong probably deserve to be slight favourites but they aren't the side they have been IMO

Probably why the odds are coming in I guess

Gresham's ability to get around players and turn 50/50 balls our way is elite, he's not perfect and just off one of his worst games but he has other strings to his bow. I think Mitch will need to play on ball when he comes in, that seems to be his best spot but he'd have to push out one of the three that are already performing. We need wins right now. I'd say that he's unlikely to get a run this week.
Fair enough. For what it's worth I'd have Gresham in over Owens too, but my point was more that we can fit both in. I'd like to see us blood as much of these young guys as we can, this new crop actually look like they can play.

Yep, as I said in my post, I thought It was closer to 50-50

Geelong probably deserve to be slight favourites but they aren't the side they have been IMO

Probably why the odds are coming in I guess
Fair enough and hope you are right. I don't know what we're going to do to go about beating them, I have this dread that they will score nearly every time they go inside 50...I can't see Howard & co stopping Hawkins & Cameron.

I think Owens 1 st couple of years will be a HF and slowly playing more & more time as Mid who can hit the score board
He can take a big mark and kick a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back