Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best pressure act on the opposition is to take marks and kick goals, and Sharman had no problem doing that later last season. Bring him in.
I totally agree with Membrey not having impact he previously has, we need to bring in another marking and accurate goal kicking option and that's Sharman.

Even if Membrey is rotated with Wood through a wing, to use his marking more down back. The Saints need to mix up their forward group, they have become too predictable.

King got bullied and double teamed against the Dees and rarely bought the ball to ground for our smalls. Its simple we need another lead up marking option to release the pressure off the others.

If Ratten and co can't see that, then they are relying far too much on stats and not seeing the game well?

If he comes in and plays a single role. “Mark the ball and kick goals” he’ll either do that or take attention away from king
Membery is a very good mark and surely he is a guy that needs attention not only King and Marshall / Ryder.
I also have to mention we also have a small guy in Higgins who can take a grab which makes him so special, even Long can take a grab when given a forward role.
Saying the lack of marking power in the forward line is wrong - I feel everyone is focusing on King to much.

Membery is a very good mark and surely he is a guy that needs attention not only King and Marshall / Ryder.
I also have to mention we also have a small guy in Higgins who can take a grab which makes him so special, even Long can take a grab when given a forward role.
Saying the lack of marking power in the forward line is wrong - I feel everyone is focusing on King to much.

When does kicking the ball through the 2 big sticks come into equation....

Skills needed to be in the Saints forward line .... marking, pressure acts but kicking the ball accurately doesn't seem to be part of the selection criteria.

I totally agree with Membrey not having impact he previously has, we need to bring in another marking and accurate goal kicking option and that's Sharman.

Even if Membrey is rotated with Wood through a wing, to use his marking more down back. The Saints need to mix up their forward group, they have become too predictable.

King got bullied and double teamed against the Dees and rarely bought the ball to ground for our smalls. Its simple we need another lead up marking option to release the pressure off the others.

If Ratten and co can't see that, then they are relying far too much on stats and not seeing the game well?
I thought the ball was on the ground a bit, and we just didn't crumb. King need not have been double teamed if Ratts had been prepared to try a few things- I didn't see much bullying, just tough contests which KPPs need to win some of.

They most probably watch everything he does on video and goes through everything from effort , gps etc and if he is not doing it a VFL level get real.

And to move Membery from the forward line to play a kid is a joke - like everyone else when he has shown he is ready to go bring him in and if Membery is spuding it up he replaces him if.

And the forward line in the Demons game was so congested no one could lead that was the problem.

Jesus I hope for Sharman's sake when he comes in he plays like a superstar because everyone has made him out to be the reincarnation of Gary Ablett Snr.

Sharman kicked 2 goals against the Bullants , so did Kent and for god sake I hope he doesn't get's picked.

One thing to point out as well there is no VFL this week which has to effect the chances of a lot of players wanting to push there case to play seniors.

Guys like Bytel , Connoly , Sharman etc are just not getting the game time they need.

Cool your jets on Sharman. Was told preseason he had been scouted i.e oppo track watchers were studying his running patterns.
Showed v Carlton where their zone continually blocked his runs.

Working on this with the coaches. Coops has raw talent and will get a gig as he is a hard worker and a great listener.

Don't fret.

When does kicking the ball through the 2 big sticks come into equation....

Skills needed to be in the Saints forward line .... marking, pressure acts but kicking the ball accurately doesn't seem to be part of the selection criteria.
We all know it is the most important part and they have to get there s/it together bringing in a kid with 2 VFL games and 3 goals under his belt is really going to make the difference you reckon.

We all want Sharman to be playing but really he has not been great in the 2s and I'm pretty sure once he can kick a few more goals he will make his case.
Marshall is one of our best contested markers and he could easily kick a bag when you least expect it and everyone has to remember when they are playing 2 ruckmen he isn't resting and if he was he would be on the bench.
Membery has kicked bags and because he hasn't doesn't mean he will not in the future.
Saying we are just rely on King and Higgins is not the case , it has only turned out that way.

I'm only expecting one change this week and that is Butler for Billings.
He kicked how many goals last season without playing one VFL game? Just saying....
Not saying he'll be the messiah, but it's not like we can't do with a little goal-kicking help presently.

Cool your jets on Sharman. Was told preseason he had been scouted i.e oppo track watchers were studying his running patterns.

Working on this with the coaches. Coops has raw talent and will get a gig as he is a hard worker and a great listener.

Don't fret.

Thanks for the intel, hope our coaches can get him back in the big time ASAP.

Don't fret.
Good to hear. Thanks

Yeah that's coz we kick it to him 95% of the time. Couldn't find the actual stat on this but it'd seem close. We need to be less predictable in that sense

He kicked how many goals last season without playing one VFL game? Just saying....
Not saying he'll be the messiah, but it's not like we can't do with a little goal-kicking help presently.

Not 100% sure the Billings inclusion will improve our kicking accuracy in front of the big sticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go watch it.
I have watched it and like I say all the time it’s nearly impossible to see things like that from tv. Yes he might stand next to him at some stoppages but then he would have a different role. How many times do you see membery when you go to the footy just stand forward. He works harder up and down the ground than any other forward and I can assure you alir wasn’t following him. Why would he. He is the back basically playing on his own because he isn’t required to run and down with any forward. I’d be blaming the forward covering for membery or the others kicking to alir.

I'm ambivalent on it tbh.
What l do want to see is how we function with a FB (Joyce) and Highmore brought into this squad.
I want to see Doogle and Batts be used as 2nd and 3rd talls to have an idea of the need for a proper big FB, and I'd prefer a more physically dominant defense than what we've been running with.
Defence doesn’t seem an issue to me. Our mids and forwards who seem to have lost their defensive pressure seem the real issue.

I have watched it and like I say all the time it’s nearly impossible to see things like that from tv. Yes he might stand next to him at some stoppages but then he would have a different role. How many times do you see membery when you go to the footy just stand forward. He works harder up and down the ground than any other forward and I can assure you alir wasn’t following him. Why would he. He is the back basically playing on his own because he isn’t required to run and down with any forward. I’d be blaming the forward covering for membery or the others kicking to alir.
They looked like they were matched up on each other for most of the night but I didn't hear any of the commentators suggest that Membrey was playing a defensive role at all through the night.

That's something I'd imagine would get picked up by one of the commentators if it was actually happening. Especially considering how well Aliir was reading the footy.

Defence doesn’t seem an issue to me. Our mids and forwards who seem to have lost their defensive pressure seem the real issue.
It's not an issue so much as some other things, I just still see it as an area for improvement and would prefer more physicality and marking power hence wanting Highmore included. Although our defenders do a good job I think they're punching above their weight and would not be giving other teams nightmares. I want Battle and Highmore as roaming interceptors.

Wilkie, Fullback*, Pato
Batts, Doogs, Highmore

Bench: Coffield

Some have noted that this group lacks offensive run, but I'd rather players that mark the ball and can kick to a target.

It's not an issue so much as some other things, I just still see it as an area for improvement and would prefer more physicality and marking power hence wanting Highmore included. Although our defenders do a good job I think they're punching above their weight and would not be giving other teams nightmares. I want Battle and Highmore as roaming interceptors.

Wilkie, Fullback*, Pato
Batts, Doogs, Highmore

Some have noted that this group lacks offensive run, but I'd rather players that mark the ball and can kick to a target.
That's just too tall

I think there's a very good reason why all the best clubs have a few runners in their backline

So many goals come from the back half because of attacking footy and run

Where do you have Sinclair?

Wilkie, Fullback*, Pato
Batts, Doogs, Highmore

Agree with your analysis - disagree with your selection

Wilkie, Fullback*, Paton
Sinclair, Doogs, (the last spot is a fight between Highmore/Battle/Coffield/Leinert/Webster)

I'm pretty confident that we will win this. Last time we played Geelong it looked like Max King was going to crush Geelong's back 6. He kicked 2 in a quarter before going off injured. I know they didn't have Stewart but it wouldn't of helped because King was marking them from everywhere, it looked like he was going to kick 10 goals that night.

Agree with your analysis - disagree with your selection

Wilkie, Fullback*, Paton
Sinclair, Doogs, (the last spot is a fight between Highmore/Battle/Coffield/Leinert/Webster)
I see the best defensive setup for us at least as a base template is

One full back stopper
One chb mobile tall

One running defender for offensive rebound, mopping up the loose ball and pseudo wing assistance

One interceptor

One lockdown small defender to deal with the small forward of the opposition

One wildcard which would either be another running defender, medium defender or interceptor depending on matchup.

To me that’s

Dougs
Battle

Sinclair/Connolly/Hill

Highmore/Coffield/Wilkie

Paton/Wilkie/Webster

Then it’s whoever for that 6th spot

They most probably watch everything he does on video and goes through everything from effort , gps etc and if he is not doing it a VFL level get real.

And to move Membery from the forward line to play a kid is a joke - like everyone else when he has shown he is ready to go bring him in and if Membery is spuding it up he replaces him if.

And the forward line in the Demons game was so congested no one could lead that was the problem.

Jesus I hope for Sharman's sake when he comes in he plays like a superstar because everyone has made him out to be the reincarnation of Gary Ablett Snr.

Sharman kicked 2 goals against the Bullants , so did Kent and for god sake I hope he doesn't get's picked.

One thing to point out as well there is no VFL this week which has to effect the chances of a lot of players wanting to push there case to play seniors.

Guys like Bytel , Connoly , Sharman etc are just not getting the game time they need.

It didn't suggest to permanently move Membrey just use him in the rotations, as we could Sharman. We all know how good Membrey is when he drops back as a loose man in defence, then why not use it more and develop other options forward.

Did you watch the VFL game - it was a wet day and Sharman was clunking contested pack marks that others couldn't. Plus the one thing he is elite at is his goal kicking accuracy and that's something we need on spades.

I'm not suggesting Sharman is the saviour, but he at least would give us another scoring avenue.

It didn't suggest to permanently move Membrey just use him in the rotations, as we could Sharman. We all know how good Membrey is when he drops back as a loose man in defence, then why not use it more and develop other options forward.

Did you watch the VFL game - it was a wet day and Sharman was clunking contested pack marks that others couldn't. Plus the one thing he is elite at is his goal kicking accuracy and that's something we need on spades.

I'm not suggesting Sharman is the saviour, but he at least would give us another scoring avenue.
I agree with you , but I really feel the coaches have more knowledge in what they are doing if he is not in our 22 as yet.
I want him to be playing too.
He will get his chance shortly having our next few games at Marvel should bring out his best.
Some one will be spelled our get a injury and he will be brought in , but when he does I want him to stay there and not given one game and dropped - he will need to be given a good crack and I would suggest the Crows and Lions would be perfect for him before the big test at the Gabba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back