Rucci confirms what we all know

Remove this Banner Ad

Article by MR in today's tiser confirms that Port are on the right track reaffirming their identity as the Port Adelaide Football Club est 1870. He states that independent marketing analysis, including AFL research, has shown this is the best way to differentiate our brand from the crows and strengthen our position as a genuine alternative option.

The AFL research confirmed Port needed to find a strategy which "retains a strong sense of heritage" and to avoid being too generic. And so they support the Live the Creed campaign.

Rucci goes on to say that the polarising effect of the LTC campaign is a good thing, as it shows Port to be a genuinely alternative option to the crows. He even has another crack at Cornes - does he think that by being more generic, crow supporters will change to Port? As he says, and as it has been, it's a generational campaign that must be fought out between two distinct entities.

I wonder if port was able to wear the prisonbar jumpers again how much more would that boost our numbers and help the club find it's "identity"...

Article by MR in today's tiser confirms that Port are on the right track reaffirming their identity as the Port Adelaide Football Club est 1870. He states that independent marketing analysis, including AFL research, has shown this is the best way to differentiate our brand from the crows and strengthen our position as a genuine alternative option.

The AFL research confirmed Port needed to find a strategy which "retains a strong sense of heritage" and to avoid being too generic. And so they support the Live the Creed campaign.

Rucci goes on to say that the polarising effect of the LTC campaign is a good thing, as it shows Port to be a genuinely alternative option to the crows. He even has another crack at Cornes - does he think that by being more generic, crow supporters will change to Port? As he says, and as it has been, it's a generational campaign that must be fought out between two distinct entities.

I can tell you that every non Port Magpie fan I have spoken to (other than kids who are a long term target) that is a Power supporter has indicated the reason they support Port rather than the Crows is they are a club with identifiable tradition and they respected what they did in the SANFL and their success - even if they didnt barrack for them.

Yeah its not rocket science. People will still not get it though. We will never hear the end of the people saying it is 'obvious' that making ourselves 'McDowells' would be much better.

Why should we not believe them? The sheer weight of confirmed statistics and empirical evidence that they have on their side is simply overwhelming.

I can tell you that every non Port Magpie fan I have spoken to (other than kids who are a long term target) that is a Power supporter has indicated the reason they support Port rather than the Crows is they are a club with identifiable tradition and they respected what they did in the SANFL and their success - even if they didnt barrack for them.

Exactly!

There is a real strengthening of our club's image happening right now. Not all to do with the use of LTC in marketing efforts but there is good cause to be optimistic moving forward.

Strong leadership from the CEO/President
Strong words from AFL HQ about the Port club, its history and its long term future
Coach coming out of contract offering to take paycut to stay
SANFL coming to the party, well at least to cuddle and hold hands.

Even seeing the support for us to wear the PB in some games from other supporters was a surprise.

That's the bit I liked most. The PAFC is in the AFL. That is the Club formed in 1870.

agree with everything said here

one thing is clear, haysman and duncanson are the right men for the job, they are proactive and all the things that are coming up now speak volumes about them and condemns previous management

the LTC campaign is fantastic, its making all the haters jealous again, and you only have to look at collingwood to see that the only thing close to as good as being loved is being hated because you will draw crowds and support either way.

Id rather be hated than not thought about at all and be like the bulldogs or something and embracing our heritage is making people realise just how much they hate or love the PAFC and that can only be a good thing

prison bars are definately the next step......

I am a non Port Magpie fan and I follow the Power because I have always followed the PAFC. ;)

..... We will never hear the end of the people saying it is 'obvious' that making ourselves 'McDowells' would be much better.
McDowells :confused:

I am a non Port Magpie fan and I follow the Power because I have always followed the PAFC. ;)

McDowells :confused:

From the movie 'Coming to America' starring Eddie Murphy. There is a restuarant called McDowells that is basically a cheap knock off of McDonalds...'they have the golden arches...we have the golden arcs'

I wonder if port was able to wear the prisonbar jumpers again how much more would that boost our numbers and help the club find it's "identity"...

Totally agree.

There are two big points which i'd love to see eventuate over the next few years and that is:

1. Getting back to the prison bar guernsey in some form. I'm amazed at the amount of opposition supporters out there saying they would totally back the idea and think we deserve the right. If we have to add some colour, ie: silver or teal then so be it. Even if only for home games, why bloody not.
  2. Get us out of AAMI and into Adelaide Oval or somewhere in the CBD.
I'm sure with either or both of the above you'll see us grow even stronger as a club :thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the movie 'Coming to America' starring Eddie Murphy. There is a restuarant called McDowells that is basically a cheap knock off of McDonalds...'they have the golden arches...we have the golden arcs'
Thanks. Obviously my knowledge of pop culture is not what it should be :eek:

Thats bang on the money Malibu, sums up my decision to go with PAFC when i couldnt stand the shell of a club the crows were (i figured that out very early on in 1991).

As a Roosters supporter i say go hard on the heritage and LTC theme, not alienating me at all, helps me embrace and reinforce the reasons i chose to go with PAFC as my AFL team. Its a club with history and tradition, and a successful one at that, who wouldnt be ramming that down every South Australians throat.

Just because i started barracking for the Power in 1997 doesnt mean i cant look at the clubs history without admiration and respect and also be proud of it too.

The Port Adelaide Football Club needs to be as Port Adelaide as it can be, history, tradition and success define this club, scream it from the rooftops i say.

Im not put off by seeing the PB gurnsey and hope to see more of it as it is truely a great footy jumper of the game, not just in SA either.

It's a reference rich film for the ages. Just after everyone's favourite player-agent got done for DUI, I knocked this up:

ta0dj9.png

"There go the endorsements".

...Getting back to the prison bar guernsey in some form.....
When North Melbourne have to go out in powder blue against Collingwood at their own home game (North's) you know our angst is going to continue for a while yet.

If you believe the Crows supporters over on the Adelaide board, MR has made a guest appearance over there over the last week or so :p

Modern classics.

Look…me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s…I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.”

"WIPERS!" [clap, clap]

Even seeing the support for us to wear the PB in some games from other supporters was a surprise.

That's because it was a stupif ruling in 1997 and an even more ridiculous attitude in 2009. Any fan of any allegedly modernprofessional National competition anywhere in the world understands a) the need to connect with it's fanbase b) the need to stay with some tradition and c) occasionally there is a need to use alternate strips.

The puzzling thing is I have never heard once of a PAFC admin or fan (other than tongue in cheek) state that PAFC should wear it's PB's against Collingwood, there is an acceptance there. Altho' IMO it could be done if Collingwood tweaked their 'white' guernesy a little. only a fool would say that the PB's would somehow dilute Collingwood's brand.

PAFC are at a mini crossroad. Altho' we can wind up the 1870 thing for sake of rivalry the reality is PAFC need to be PAFC.

Would PAFC wearing PB's alienate some fans? Maybe

The real question is; would PAFC wearing PB's bring back more fans than it alienates and therefore end up a positive? IMO yes.

Port have created a new tradition with it's entry guernsey and it was worn on premiership day of course, but you play 12 games @ AAMI every year. 6 in new, 6 in PB's? PAFC could pick the 2 Showdowns and 4 big Vic Clubs to wear the PB's against in any year. Importantly they could be sold, how much money could be made from selling them?

I petitioned my Club to strike up a "Port to wear PB's in Showdowns" campaign. The Club wanted ideas as to why these games have slipped and I refuse to believe it's because the fans can't sit together. I'd love to see AFC play the PB's and I presume vice versa. Twice a year the gurnseys can be reprinted witha Showdown logo and sold, we all have to see Anzac and Dreamtime logos, give the SA clubs the same opportunity.

Small steps, allow PAFC to wear it twice a year in Showdowns and then work from there. Email the club and ask them to raise it, if enough fans from both sides make both Clubs think about it and petition it, how could the AFL say no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucci confirms what we all know

Remove this Banner Ad

Back