Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Came to our school and spoke to everyone who wanted to chat with him afterwards. Really impacted my life as I was just getting into the gym then, he is someone I cite for setting me up with healthy lifelong habits when it comes to health and fitness.

I still think about him on some of my harder running sessions

I actually felt so inspired after having him talk to us in Year 12, I wanted to do something with it so I quit smoking. There's been the odd relapse (when drinking, normally) but it's now got to the point when even thinking of them makes me sick.

Haven't met many footy players but Mal Brown was a great guy.

Michele Holding is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet.
David Gower was a good bloke as well.

Greg Chappell was an arse.
Mal Brown is an absolute champion.

I too have met more cricketers

Jonty Rhodes is also a champion bloke. Joel Garner and Clive Lloyd both great guys.

Malcolm Marshall and Michael Holding very nice too. Wasim Akram I spoke to briefly and was very polite.

Muttiah Muralitharan - I had a sit down and we had a 30 minute chat about lower grade cricket and is a lovely guy. Met Sachin Tendulkar briefly at a cricket dinner and he was very polite

Ones I didn't like so much. I was about 30 seconds away from punching on with Damien Martyn in a nightclub although other people I know says he a good guy. Maybe I'm a dick. Andrew Symonds was a bit aloof maybe he was shy. Glenn McGrath good guy. Ian and Greg Chappell not so much. I had a never meet your heroes moment with Dennis Lillee.

Shane Warne met him 3 times and was always quite friendly.

Footballers Wayne Carey good guy I quite liked him. Rory Sloane champion bloke. Josh Carr much quieter than I expected. Same with Chad Cornes. Same with Stewart Dew. Jackson Trengove good guy. Matthew Primus champion bloke.

Last edited:
I sat at a table with both Jordan Lisle (ex Hawthorn and Brisbane) and Josh Walker (ex Geelong, Brisbane and North).

Lisle was extremely engaging, good to chat with. Very enthusiastic about everything.

Walker was someone who I thought based on his on-field persona might be no good, but he was also very engaging and good natured.

But, former Fitzroy, Port and Richmond player John Rombotis then made an appearance. Talked about himself in the third person (Rombo) and true to the real estate agent stereotype won best on ground in the flog stakes. He was banging on about VAFA games from decades ago and how well he played. Painful stuff.

Couldn't meet a more down to earth, nice guy than Jack Steele. Did work at his house for an extended period.

Came to our school and spoke to everyone who wanted to chat with him afterwards. Really impacted my life as I was just getting into the gym then, he is someone I cite for setting me up with healthy lifelong habits when it comes to health and fitness.

I still think about him on some of my harder running sessions
He also came to our school to speak when we were in year 12. Very insightful, genuine, engaging and really just came across as a nurturer. I distinctly remember him saying that one of the worst things that he ever heard was when Blighty publicly called out Pittman’s effort in the ruck as “pathetic”.

Simon and Patrick Wiggins (moreso Patty) are legit crazy as ****

Patty was playing with one of my best mates against a notorious bikie linked club in the WRFL. He was getting berated by them from behind the goals, he slotted 4 in the first quarter and the 4th he drilled it low and hard at one of them, bouncing it off of his shoulder and celebrated Micky O style in their face as he ran through the goals

Very good but extremely crazy bloke
Apparently kicked a goal then jumped the fence and started a fight in a state league game after we delisted him.

Probably can't name this person, but let's just say a former footballer from the early to mid-90's, Victorian based club that wore long sleeved jumpers s/a'd a female friend. has a bit of a larrikin persona primarily due to 1 interview at the end of a season.
would have no problem decking him if I ever came across him, rubbish human

Probably can't name this person, but let's just say a former footballer from the early to mid-90's, Victorian based club that wore long sleeved jumpers s/a'd a female friend. has a bit of a larrikin persona primarily due to 1 interview at the end of a season.
would have no problem decking him if I ever came across him, rubbish human

SOS?

He also came to our school to speak when we were in year 12. Very insightful, genuine, engaging and really just came across as a nurturer. I distinctly remember him saying that one of the worst things that he ever heard was when Blighty publicly called out Pittman’s effort in the ruck as “pathetic”.

You just brought back a memory, when he spoke to us he was very critical of Blight having made a Saints player stand away from the huddle once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard from a few people involved in cricket that Broad is a ripper fella but his old mate Jimmy Anderson not so much.
Anderson was fine in the dealings I had with him . Prick on the field but good off it. That was in his early 20s though.
Used to demolish junk food 24/7 .

Broad is as nice a guy as you'll meet . Even his sledging is 'nice' .

You just brought back a memory, when he spoke to us he was very critical of Blight having made a Saints player stand away from the huddle once.
I got lucky enough to listen to Blight during a trial game because he couldn't sit in the coaches box and sat directly behind me with the runner. Most interesting 2 hours listening to what he liked and didn't like about that game. Much more process driven than I expected.

Wasn’t that Austin McCrab ?

Not sure, but I have seen the image. Hafey was very big on not excluding someone just for making a mistake.

Best: D.Cox, S.Burgoyne, J.Platten, P.Knights, D.Harford & M.Arceri.

Worst: M.Nicoski, S.Mitchell.

Best (non-afl): Tamsyn Lewis.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah Mark Nikosci is a real dickhead, he'd genuinely take playing a bit of footy in Perth for West Coast over just about anything else you could offer a human.

Will Schofield is a genuine loser, blokes 40 and literally pulls the 'I'm richer than you' stroke. if you watch his podcast you'll realise he's quite potentially literally remedial, zero actual smarts and zero people skills. what's wild is he went to a pretty reputable private school.

To balance it out on the Eagles front, Matt Priddis played a season in the country and by the end of the year, everyone in the side had a brand new pair of Puma footy boots and everyone in the town had a beer or a creaming soda bought by him. integrated well into the community, would go down the pub on trivia nights and watch the local netball, stuff like that.

Tom Harley: hosted an assembly at my high school for the vce students in 2010, afterwards one of my teachers allowed me to ask him for an autograph, he happily personally signed 4 individual ones for myself and my cousins.
**** this sounds gross. exclusionary shit. what issue would it have been if the non-VCE kids got to sit in on him talking?

So many say Fyfe is elusive and arrogant, but I've always found him to be lovely when I have run into him.

We have dogs naed Fyfe and Mundy. They were recently barking at someone across the road and ran over to him. Hubby was yelling out for Fyfe and Mundy, and he was a bit shocked to find the man laughing at them (who the dogs had caught up to) was Ryan Crowley.
Fyfe is a pretty odd guy and the almost direct 50/50 split between 'he's a total arseh*le who doesn't speak to anyone below him' and 'he's just not into the footy stuff too much' probably shows that.

There's a million rumours about just about everything old Fyfey's done or does but I knew a few people who went to Aquinas and said he was a genuine little terror – not just a good hearted clown, but a bloke who didn't care one iota about being disliked.

But the thing I've always found really odd about him is how he's pretty clearly intent on not being seen, and you can't blame him, but every time you do seen him it's like he's chosen the busiest day of the year to expose himself (not like Jon Dorotich). like I've seen him doing bog lap after bog lap through the Cappuccino Strip in the middle of Christmas holidays, or going for a swim at Leighton on the warmest day of the year. the most incognito I've ever seen him is at the pub but that too was in the middle of South Freo – with a heap of other Freo guys.

Really strange.

**** this sounds gross. exclusionary shit. what issue would it have been if the non-VCE kids got to sit in on him talking?
Well if you must know the full story, a former geelong players father was a teacher at my school at the time and organised with him to speak at an assembly for the vce students (by that I mean all year 11 and 12 students) about leadership and life after school, as well as other things.
My school did it every year, my year was just lucky to have him as a guest.

Boomer Harvey: met recently at a country nightclub, saw him in the corner and said gday, was nice and wasn’t really noticed by many people.
Isn't this campaigner like 45? one of the more surprising pantsmen of the competition.

Fyfe is a pretty odd guy and the almost direct 50/50 split between 'he's a total arseh*le who doesn't speak to anyone below him' and 'he's just not into the footy stuff too much' probably shows that.

There's a million rumours about just about everything old Fyfey's done or does but I knew a few people who went to Aquinas and said he was a genuine little terror – not just a good hearted clown, but a bloke who didn't care one iota about being disliked.

But the thing I've always found really odd about him is how he's pretty clearly intent on not being seen, and you can't blame him, but every time you do seen him it's like he's chosen the busiest day of the year to expose himself (not like Jon Dorotich). like I've seen him doing bog lap after bog lap through the Cappuccino Strip in the middle of Christmas holidays, or going for a swim at Leighton on the warmest day of the year. the most incognito I've ever seen him is at the pub but that too was in the middle of South Freo – with a heap of other Freo guys.

Really strange.
I'm very connected to his school so have heard the same stories from his school days (including from guys from his cohort who hung out with him). His maths teacher told him that, if he didn't pull his finger out, he would never be able to even buy a house (am sure he can afford a few now). Another staff member told me, early on, "I can't see Fyfe ever leaving WA because he struggled with homesickness badly at school. He's eccentric, and I think he's awesome for it.

I'm very connected to his school so have heard the same stories from his school days (including from guys from his cohort who hung out with him). His maths teacher told him that, if he didn't pull his finger out, he would never be able to even buy a house (am sure he can afford a few now). Another staff member told me, early on, "I can't see Fyfe ever leaving WA because he struggled with homesickness badly at school. He's eccentric, and I think he's awesome for it.
He's always struck me as an introvert, which often times gets taken as arrogance by people with a lack of maturity.

As you say, he's eccentric, and in a country like this (particularly playing a sport like footy) you're going to be branded as a weirdo through no fault of your own.

Some just can't wrap their heads around those who skew from the typical 'blokey' culture of footy, which seems to be Fyfe's way from what I've seen of him.

The Bob Murphy interview with him is a classic example. He appears to be a really deep thinker - at least by sportsmen standards - and that can come off as pretentious to those who haven't been around people like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back