Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that did happen: Darcy Moore deliberately crushing his knee into Petracca's ribs. It's fairly clear cut imo and a real dog act for the 3rd man up.
Loss For Words Side Eye GIF by Harlem

Things that did happen: Darcy Moore deliberately crushing his knee into Petracca's ribs. It's fairly clear cut imo and a real dog act for the 3rd man up. Can't believe it's never been spoken about either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a prick in private, but I'd be totally guessing on that and the basketball story I agree sounds exagerrated. He has a very clean-cut image and is expert at managing his public persona. I've met quite a few people irl from similar demographic to him, there's a bit of a type there and it's most easily described as two-faced. To me he's at the very least as vain as all f and I'd encourage people to look at the footage of the Trac incident again.
He's a **** so automatically is the greatest person going around in the woke AFL world.

I was out the front of my place digging post holes for a new fence on a stinking hot day when Trent Dennis lane walked past with his dog.

I had a spare wheelbarrow because my 6 year old had started crying after pushing the thing for only 3 hours (but is happy to watch bluey for 8 hours) and the bloke didn't even offer to help.

Dead set germ

Things that did happen: Darcy Moore deliberately crushing his knee into Petracca's ribs. It's fairly clear cut imo and a real dog act for the 3rd man up. Can't believe it's never been spoken about either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a prick in private, but I'd be totally guessing on that and the basketball story I agree sounds exagerrated. He has a very clean-cut image and is expert at managing his public persona. I've met quite a few people irl from similar demographic to him, there's a bit of a type there and it's most easily described as two-faced. To me he's at the very least as vain as all f and I'd encourage people to look at the footage of the Trac incident again.
It's never been spoken about because it was a contested marking accident. You'd know that if you'd played football or any type of contact sport.
Considering who you follow, I'd lay off the public persona swipes. There's more than enough in St.Kilda's recent history to fill another thread

I have/had friendships and acquaintanceships with players but wouldn't consider an answer based on my impressions of them to have been formed in a way that is in the spirit of this kind of question.

So thinking about impressions formed only from 'meetings' per se, the one that really stood out to me was Robert Dipierdomenico.
I was 15 or so and sitting on a park bench alone watching an Eastern Ranges trial game or practice match or something similar when Dipper walks my way and takes a seat next to me (his son Dylan was playing). We watched the whole game together virtually uninterrupted, and he was chatty from the moment he sat down until the end of the match.

He was the one to start the conversation too, introducing himself without any hint of an assumption that I might know who he was already. He asked a lot of questions about me, remembered my name and used it a lot, as well as remembering and bringing up earlier details I'd shared with him in later conversation.
He just generally took a genuine interest in me and my life, and in particular my own progress as a young footballer trying out for an interleague squad that year for the first time.

At the time I felt like he spoke to me and treated me like a peer, or even more than that, like I was important and my very modest junior football achievements and ambitions were impressive and worthy of someone like him taking such an interest in. It was just a very uplifting experience, and looking back as an adult I can see how his instinct to mentor and support a young person came naturally to him and was very authentic (and effective).

*Edit: I should add, I never told him I already knew who he was after he introduced himself or spoke to him/asked him questions like he was anyone but a complete stranger I'd just met and knew nothing about besides what he shared in conversation. When sharing his football knowledge and playing experiences he only spoke about details that were relevant and relatable to our conversation, and was specifically vague on details such as what level his own 'try outs' experiences and such had been at and who he played for. It stood out to me when he was talking about things I knew related to a legendary V/AFL career but he was leaving that part out, clearly not wanting to make the conversation about him.

Last edited:
Tony Shaw is a great bloke

Can confirm Darcy Moore is a genuinely good bloke

Michael Voss, some years ago, Mr Enthusiasm, everything is possible, positive vibes dripping off him.

Kevin Sheedy, decades ago, disciplinarian, humourless, puritannical, joyless.

I'm interested to know what context you met Sheeds in, because I met him about a month ago and he was one of the funniest blokes I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Maybe he's relaxed a bit seeing as it was decades ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's never been spoken about because it was a contested marking accident. You'd know that if you'd played football or any type of contact sport.
Considering who you follow, I'd lay off the public persona swipes. There's more than enough in St.Kilda's recent history to fill another thread

"Accident"

And I've played plenty of contact sports in my life turbo don't you worry. Who I follow means I can't have an opinion now? I've been as critical of the Saints as anyone. Jog on Einstein.

My sister-in-law is mad Pies supporter and her favourite player was Darcy Moore. He was at NBL game sitting in front of her and my brother near courtside. At the end of a quarter, she said "hello" to him. He said to her "go on, take your selfie and then f*ck off!" She didn't want a selfie and was disgusted. Just said to him "I'm good, thank you!" Her favourite player is now Charlie Curnow.
had a mate with a similar experience. took a selfie with him and the picture is funny cause moore looks angry as f*ck lol

I have met Maynard out and about, great bloke. Far nicer than he looks (off the field I guess).

I feel like a lot of those white line fever blokes who are campaigners on the field are some of the best off it.

I'm interested to know what context you met Sheeds in, because I met him about a month ago and he was one of the funniest blokes I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Kevin Sheedy was an idol of mine growing up a Bombers supporter.

Had a chance to meet him at an Anzac Day game back in 2012 or so, where I was working there doing food and beverage. Had no idea what I was doing so I just grabbed a tray of drinks, found a spot in the room and stood there for 10 minutes just trying to look busy. Felt a tap on my lower back, turned around and it was Kevin Sheedy, who very apologetically asked me to move as I'd been standing right behind his seat blocking him in and he needed to get out to use the bathroom. Great bloke, would falsely imprison him again.

It was in the period just before he left RFC for your blokes.

I feel like a lot of those white line fever blokes who are campaigners on the field are some of the best off it.
This will sound like a normal biased, sycophantic comment but all the Pies boys laugh at the image he has to the outside world as off field hes the most caring bloke at the club. I admit id hate the campaigner if he was in other colours though because thats what we do

"Accident"

And I've played plenty of contact sports in my life turbo don't you worry. Who I follow means I can't have an opinion now? I've been as critical of the Saints as anyone. Jog on Einstein.
I was going to have a dig about the Moore comment but since you "turbo'd" the previous poster i respect your posting too much

I know an ex-Saints player from around that period who said that easily the best three blokes at the club were Hayes, Ball and Stevie Milne.

As others have said Bill Brownless is a terrific guy. Did an event at my golf club and stayed around afterwards to talk with everyone for ages :thumbsu:
Agree...throw Stevie Baker into that group, he was a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back