Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's always struck me as an introvert, which often times gets taken as arrogance by people with a lack of maturity.

As you say, he's eccentric, and in a country like this (particularly playing a sport like footy) you're going to be branded as a weirdo through no fault of your own.

Some just can't wrap their heads around those who skew from the typical 'blokey' culture of footy, which seems to be Fyfe's way from what I've seen of him.

The Bob Murphy interview with him is a classic example. He appears to be a really deep thinker - at least by sportsmen standards - and that can come off as pretentious to those who haven't been around people like that.
100%

Isn't this campaigner like 45? one of the more surprising pantsmen of the competition.
Yeah he is about 45-50, idk I was shocked. Thought it was someone who looked like him but yeah, was him. Idk what he’s doing in the country, especially at a nightclub. He’s so short too, which I mean was to be expected.

Drew Petrie was great with my Bombers supporting son when he was young. My son wore a Bombers jumpers to a Roos footy clinic in Hobart.

Petrie just had a bit of a laugh and called him 'Lloydy' for the entire clinic.

I remember talking to the great Clive at a shopping centre appearance. He didn't disappoint and was great to chat to.

I'll always have a soft spot for Neil Craig. I was waiting to watch Sturt training one day, he stopped and started chatting to me, took my BMX for a spin and then invited me into the change rooms to meet the team. Made my day.
I've told this story before, but was serving Neil Craig at my work once. Had pleasantries, then he asked me who I supported, I told him Bombers, then he asked what I thought of Bomber Thompson, who had just had his house raided.
For whatever reason I said that when I saw his house had been raided, I was glad it was for drugs and not child p**nography.
He just sorta stared at me in silence. Still I don't think it's necessarily the wrong sentiment.

Please expand on this
I worked on his car without knowing who he was at the time and treated him like any other person. He was extremely standoffish and acted as if everyone was beneath him, finding it an inconvenience to even converse with us. It was a while ago, but from memory, the conversation went like this: "Hey, how are you going?" which he ignored. Instead, he simply said, "I don't care what's wrong, just fix it and hurry up" and had a massive tantrum when we told him it would take a few hours. I think he had just retired at the time.

As I finished up the work, I looked at his name on the paperwork and suddenly realized why he seemed familiar.

Last edited:
I worked on his car without knowing who he was at the time and treated him like any other person. He was extremely standoffish and acted as if everyone was beneath him, finding it an inconvenience to even converse with us. It was a while ago, but from memory, the conversation went like this: "Hey, how are you going?" which he ignored. Instead, he simply said, "I don't care what's wrong, just fix it and hurry up" and had a massive tantrum when we told him it would take a few hours. I think he had just retired at the time.

As I finished up the work, I looked at his name on the paperwork and suddenly realized why he seemed familiar.
Maybe that's why Terry Wallace hated him. Wallace, by the way, a very good bloke.

Growing up in Perth a few Eagles/Dockers players (usually lesser known ones) came to our school so that doesn't count. I saw Embers and Jacko at shopping centres but back then was too shy to approach them/had to wait anyway so can't speak for them. Embers seemed always nice though.

As for random meetings, I bumped into Jordan DeGoey in Brighton just before the 2022 PF. I asked if he was Jordan DeGoey, he said yes, I asked a few questions which he answered. Fairly neutral, so can't comment on him too much, like he wasnt overly friendly or rude etc but I mean I was a random stranger, and at least granted me that.

Served Daisy Pearce and Ben Brown at a Melbourne FC function 2 years back. Daisy seemed a bit chilly, standoffish, but can't judge her on that as we didnt speak much. Only served BB, didn't really speak to him much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See Dermie around my local area. Seems a nice fella

Yeh Dermie is the nicest I've met. Always has time for a chat.

His love of footy is infectious.

My sister-in-law is mad Pies supporter and her favourite player was Darcy Moore. He was at NBL game sitting in front of her and my brother near courtside. At the end of a quarter, she said "hello" to him. He said to her "go on, take your selfie and then f*ck off!" She didn't want a selfie and was disgusted. Just said to him "I'm good, thank you!" Her favourite player is now Charlie Curnow.

Last edited:
As plenty of cricketer posts.

Seen plenty of SCG tests in the members. The Australian players do a net session and then walk through crowd with their gloves still on. Obviously a tactic to avoid signatures. Other teams seem more obliging especially India with Virat Kohli a standout with the time he gives fans.
Can confirm Michael Clarke is a complete tosser. Steve Waugh is much like you see him, cold but not rude. Ricky Ponting was a ripping bloke when I met him, had a lot of time to chat to some young kids too.

Going back a fair while but Andy Bichel was super nice and chill whilst playing a Pura Cup game for QLD at the WACA at the back end of his career. He fielded on the boundary for a long while and was very chatty and friendly to kids and adults alike. The cricket match became a secondary importance to him whilst he was down there. Chatted to my old lady for a long while about random shit that wasn't cricket related, signed literally anything the kids handed him. Seemed to be genuinely enjoying the time.

Going back a fair while but Andy Bichel was super nice and chill whilst playing a Pura Cup game for QLD at the WACA at the back end of his career. He fielded on the boundary for a long while and was very chatty and friendly to kids and adults alike. The cricket match became a secondary importance to him whilst he was down there. Chatted to my old lady for a long while about random shit that wasn't cricket related, signed literally anything the kids handed him. Seemed to be genuinely enjoying the time.
A mate went to school with Andy Bichel and says even at school he was a really nice guy.

My sister-in-law is mad Pies supporter and her favourite player was Darcy Moore. He was at NBL game sitting in front of her and my brother near courtside. At the end of a quarter, she said "hello" to him. He said to her "go on, take your selfie and then f*ck off!" She didn't want a selfie and was disgusted. Just said to him "I'm good, thank you!" Her favourite player is now Charlie Curnow.
I’ve heard a similar experience from a close friend regarding Moore. Fairly rude to her too.

Maynard apparently a very good bloke though.

Personally, the most notable of my experiences was meeting Nick Stevens who was ironically very friendly. But I’m also a male soo.

I’ve heard a similar experience from a close friend regarding Moore. Fairly rude to her too.

Maynard apparently a very good bloke though.

Personally, the most notable of my experiences was meeting Nick Stevens who was ironically very friendly. But I’m also a male soo.

I have met Maynard out and about, great bloke. Far nicer than he looks (off the field I guess).

things that didn't happen

things that didn't happen

Things that did happen: Darcy Moore deliberately crushing his knee into Petracca's ribs. It's fairly clear cut imo and a real dog act for the 3rd man up. Can't believe it's never been spoken about either. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a prick in private, but I'd be totally guessing on that and the basketball story I agree sounds exagerrated. He has a very clean-cut image and is expert at managing his public persona. I've met quite a few people irl from similar demographic to him, there's a bit of a type there and it's most easily described as two-faced. To me he's at the very least as vain as all f and I'd encourage people to look at the footage of the Trac incident again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back