Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can confirm Darcy Moore is not approachable.

My colleague's young adult daughter kindly asked him for a photo with him whilst at a pub in October and he said no to her in no uncertain terms.

Stoneham is the definition of flog.

Best AFL 'blokes' I have met. Adam Cooney is kind and will talk to anyone. Sicily is a great person.

Scarlett by far the worst
Came here to say the same thing, I was 18, didnt even know who he was, he was much older. Apparently I looked at him funny and he wanted to punch on. Weird tall skinny bloke was about to get folded like a deck chair by some mates of mine who much larger and scarier looking and he back off straight away.

Tom Lynch probably the nicest player I have ever met, pure gentlemen and very shy.

Retired players, Barry Hall, absolute legend.

My colleague's young adult daughter kindly asked him for a photo with him whilst at a pub in October and he said no to her in no uncertain terms.
I have to say i’d really struggle being a player these days, and this expectation that you need to be available at all times for selfies with strangers.
Selfie culture is so weird.
Good on him for saying no to having a photo with a stranger so they can put it online and feel validated via a few dozen ‘likes’.

That's now a few stories about Moore being a knob.

Interesting given the good guy persona he puts on in the media.

Sam Lloyd (ex Tiger and Bulldog) deserves a mention. Would have a kick of the footy with the local kids and seemed more of a friendly approachable uncle than a footy player. Only heard good things.

Only heard good things about David Rodan too. Even after becoming an umpire.

Played a game of masters footy on Gary O'Donnell. Great yarn, talking about life. Man had hips of silk, making him super hard to tackle. He went on community radio the next day and pumped my tyres a little which was nice.

I think a lot of good/bad interactions with players can be totally situational. They are just people too.

Paul Kelly - Met him a couple of times. Seems like a great bloke.

Ron Barrassi - Very jovial and happy to take time out for a photo.

Andrew Schauble - Met him when he was coming out of the SCG after training, was quite friendly and had a quick chat. He asked me where I was off to where I told him I was seeing Slayer at the Horden Pavillion and he just asked if they were a metal band. Wished him well for the season, etc.

Troy Cook - Came to my school to do one of those footy clinics. Looked bored and like he didn't want to be there.

Confirmed.

They say never meet your heroes, because they will disappoint you, and at 10 years old in the early 90's , i found out the hard way.

Well I was about 10 years old when I met Modra and he was great. Sitting in his car after the game, door open signing autographs for everyone with about 200 people lined up. After I got his autograph on my Simpsons jumper I ducked back and asked him to sign "Godra" on it and he went to do it and said ahh you better do that yourself mate lol. Don't think he wanted to get caught seeming like a big head.

Nigel smart on the other hand was likeable but had a massive head on his shoulders. Those were the days. Honestly the whole team was good. We use to go to training all the time and they'd all pretty much sign everything.

Also saw Modra do an appearance at Rowe and Jarman and he was doing the old fashioned handball through the hole thing Lou richards use to do on the footy show and he couldn't get a handball through so he started kicking them and couldn't miss lol.

David Neitz up there with the nicest blokes. He gets on the train like a normal human being to the footy and always has time for a chat with my old man. At round 1 this year he was in the Melbourne box behind level 2A in the AFL members and he called out my dad's name for a chat. My old man had a smile on his face the rest of the day.

Paul Salmon was at a function I was at a few years ago. I am too young to recognise him but he spoke with me for 40 minute about everything until one of my mates came and said "its the fish!" I appreciated that.

Rudest flog of all time was Robert Harvey, was eating at the table next to me and was staring at us the whole time. Eventually dad said gday to him and he just ignored it.

Played a game of masters footy on Gary O'Donnell. Great yarn, talking about life. Man had hips of silk, making him super hard to tackle. He went on community radio the next day and pumped my tyres a little which was nice.

I think a lot of good/bad interactions with players can be totally situational. They are just people too.
I stood Eddie Fry about five years after he retired and for some reason was playing Cs for Unley Jets, obviously he killed me but was very much a gentleman about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually forgot to mention Richo, one of the best humans you will meet. Gives everyone time and always down for a chat.

hate to mention it, Dusty, couldnt be less interested in fans and IMO, ****n rude. Lost alot of respect for him after that.

Well I was about 10 years old when I met Modra and he was great. Sitting in his car after the game, door open signing autographs for everyone with about 200 people lined up. After I got his autograph on my Simpsons jumper I ducked back and asked him to sign "Godra" on it and he went to do it and said ahh you better do that yourself mate lol. Don't think he wanted to get caught seeming like a big head.

Nigel smart on the other hand was likeable but had a massive head on his shoulders. Those were the days. Honestly the whole team was good. We use to go to training all the time and they'd all pretty much sign everything.

Also saw Modra do an appearance at Rowe and Jarman and he was doing the old fashioned handball through the hole thing Lou richards use to do on the footy show and he couldn't get a handball through so he started kicking them and couldn't miss lol.
I met Modra in 99 just after he moved to Dockers. We were both staying at Smiths Beach near Margaret river and spent most of his days surfing with a couple of mates.

Was always happy to have a chat

Tex tried to bash me in a nightclub around 2013/14, absolutely shocking bloke.
obviously a you thing...
man does go out of his way to accommodate fans.

Andrew Jarman is also a champ to talk to.
I once had a 20 mins conversation to him about Shane Edwards and his reflections on his career.
great character is jars.

Kamdyn McIntosh is a ripper
Always stays past the cut off time at club functions and gets in trouble for holding up the rest of the staff

Genuinely a nice guy who loves to have a chat

Gary Lyon tried to chat up my wife at an EJ Whitten legends match function. That was long before he diddled his mates missus.

Colin Sylvia started a traineeship at a company I worked at in 2014. Seemed like a quiet type of fellow. Was a 1 day a week job and he turned up twice before packing it in. I had supposed the bloke training him just scared him off, cos he was a big noting w***er.

Last edited:
obviously a you thing...
man does go out of his way to accommodate fans.

Andrew Jarman is also a champ to talk to.
I once had a 20 mins conversation to him about Shane Edwards and his reflections on his career.
great character is jars.
Tried to fight my cos I tried to take a piss in a nightclub toilet, obviously a me thing.

I dare say Tex has matured in the last 10 years.

I can’t remember who it was (think it was Schoenmakers or Whitecross but I can’t remember for sure) but it was a Hawks player from their early 2010’s successes, I met him at a nightclub in like 2016 and the photographer (who thought we were mates, but I can’t even remember his name either) was like “watch this” and was like “hey player X - how’s it going” and he came over, was talking to us for like 30 minutes and the whole time the photographer was going “oh no way! Oh really! Oh crazy man!” To everything he was saying, and not so subtly kicking me in the foot and smirking at me right infront of him

The player was just way too nice, just kept talking to us until the photographer just straight up insulted his footballing ability, saying that the Hawks were better off without him (photographer was a Hawks supporter too)

Was easily the weirdest interaction I’ve ever had with a player, I called the photographer a ****wit and apologised to the player - he took it in good spirits and laughed it off. Wish I could remember his name hahahaha

I have to say i’d really struggle being a player these days, and this expectation that you need to be available at all times for selfies with strangers.
Good on him for saying no to having a photo with a stranger so they can put it online and feel validated via a few dozen ‘likes’.
The person had no issue with being knocked back by Darcy Moore for a photo at the pub. That's more than fine.

The person had an issue with the rudeness of being declined for a photo.

Living in a fishbowl like Adelaide you see them all the time. Use to be at the tab and you'd meet half the team eventually. The Jarman's , Edwards, Scott welsh, Ebert, bond, riccuitio, wanganeen all liked a punt but no one would stop and bother them. You could tell they just wanted to go about their business. It was night clubs where people would speak to them. I think they would expect that though. Most of them probably enjoyed it. You're not really gonna go up to a player you don't like and tell them unless you're a total knob.

David Neitz up there with the nicest blokes. He gets on the train like a normal human being to the footy and always has time for a chat with my old man. At round 1 this year he was in the Melbourne box behind level 2A in the AFL members and he called out my dad's name for a chat. My old man had a smile on his face the rest of the day.

Paul Salmon was at a function I was at a few years ago. I am too young to recognise him but he spoke with me for 40 minute about everything until one of my mates came and said "its the fish!" I appreciated that.

Rudest flog of all time was Robert Harvey, was eating at the table next to me and was staring at us the whole time. Eventually dad said gday to him and he just ignored it.
Harvey does surprise me. I guess my impression of him was reserved, not particularly friendly per se, but not rude etc. But the staring might be a bit more than rudeness? Like maybe he wasn't quite there. What did you think.

As if Modra ever needed to bother to learn how to handball 😛

Remove this Banner Ad

Back