Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest were Stephen Silvagni and Scott West, Nicest were Jack Riewoldt amd Marlion Pickett.
I didn’t meet Jack properly but worked in Cremorne for a bit and saw him at my local coffee shop one Saturday morning.

He was holding multiple kids, juggling them and happily talking to fans in the meantime

Had a game that day, too

Just seemed like a really nice dude

Pickett I saw at Northland, I recognised him and at first he was stink eying me, but I smiled and nodded and his expression changed and he smiled and nodded back - so seems to be nice enough, probably thought I was staring him down or something hahaha

I think it was about 2004, Adam Mcphee had his first year at Essendon, my favourite player, looked like he'd be a star. I saw him nye at the anglers tavern, as he was walking I tapped him on the shoulder just to say hi, he ignored it, I thought he must not have felt it, so I tapped again, he swivels around and gives me a death stare like he wants to punch my lights out. Needless to say he was no longer my favourite player and he got some good karma with his career falling off a cliff in the following years.

Great bloke, me and my best mate a few years ago were at the longroom in the city. Daisy Thomas randomly comes up asking if we know where he can charge his phone. Ends up chatting to us in the bar for 10 minutes about basically nothing as his mates are over in the corner waiting for him. Was sober too surprisingly. Really nice guy was even asking questions about us, wasn't all about him. Glad he is doing well on 7, good guy and good special comments man.

Sam Newman, in primary school was showing up to some event with just our class to promote something. All the kids were super excited, waited out in the cold for over an hour coz he was late, he showed up, took a group photo, got back in his porsche I think it was after not interacting with anybody and ****ed off. All the kids left very disappointed as the footy show was at its peak back then, the teachers had to try and lift the solemn mood afterwards.

I think it was about 2004, Adam Mcphee had his first year at Essendon, my favourite player, looked like he'd be a star. I saw him nye at the anglers tavern, as he was walking I tapped him on the shoulder just to say hi, he ignored it, I thought he must not have felt it, so I tapped again, he swivels around and gives me a death stare like he wants to punch my lights out. Needless to say he was no longer my favourite player and he got some good karma with his career falling off a cliff in the following years.

Wasn't McPhee on 7's Live and Kicking or something with the whole Narre Warren JFC team that never lost a game in the whole time these kids were playing? I remember well before he was drafted (like when we were 14/15) a mate of mine said he was a real piece of shit and I guess he wasn't lying!

I didn’t meet Jack properly but worked in Cremorne for a bit and saw him at my local coffee shop one Saturday morning.

He was holding multiple kids, juggling them and happily talking to fans in the meantime

Had a game that day, too

Just seemed like a really nice dude

Pickett I saw at Northland, I recognised him and at first he was stink eying me, but I smiled and nodded and his expression changed and he smiled and nodded back - so seems to be nice enough, probably thought I was staring him down or something hahaha
Marlion shops at Preston Woolworths and always stops to talk to the beggers

Wasn't McPhee on 7's Live and Kicking or something with the whole Narre Warren JFC team that never lost a game in the whole time these kids were playing? I remember well before he was drafted (like when we were 14/15) a mate of mine said he was a real piece of shit and I guess he wasn't lying!

Yeah I was shocked to be honest, I must have only been 19 or so, this guy only just played his first good year and was carrying on like he was Wayne Carey off the back of it. Absolute w***er.

Played C grade cricket against Greg Stafford and he was trying to intimidate me when I was umpiring.

Tom Morris a ripper bloke.

Tall poppy syndrome destroyed him w the leaked clips.

Imagine what others (males and females) say in their group chats !!

If you think females are so respectful of males you have some growing up to do!
Tall poppy syndrome... isn't that referred to like, academics or highly successful musicians or something?

Also one of the great furphies. people don't like pricks and ultimately a lot of successful people are arrogant or unlikeable. it happens in England far more than here.

One of the great furphies.

Anyway point is, Tom Morris was cancelled because he was the sort of kid to sit on the sidelines during kick to kick and tried being one of the boys when he's just some pencil neck nerd. most people in his position would be chuffed they get to talk about footy for a living but he had to go down that route.

Also even a regular shitkicker wouldn't speak about a female employee in a private chat. you're a screen record away from losing your job.

Say it at the pub but never over message. everyone knows this.

I've had a decent run and since 2020 have met Lachie Neale, Luke Hodge, Brayden Maynard, Dane Swan, Callan Ward and Josh Kelly.

All top guys, but Lachie was definitely the stand out. It was in Brisbane before his Brownlow win and the Lions being good again...a few punters at the restaurant asked me afterwards if he played for the Broncos 😜.

All encounters took place in Brisbane, Byron or Sydney so the thing they have in common is the shock at being recognised. Imagine being Luke Hodge and feeling thrown when a random walks up for a chat.

He's a ****in nutcase.

I don't think I'd ever tap a person on the shoulder unless it was 'hey mate you dropped your phone' on a dancefloor but to do it to a scary unit like that (and of course it was at the Anglers) is stupid as ****.

You always have this idea that if you played AFL every interaction would be 'how are you looking this weekend?' but you must cop a huge amount of shit. I'd be a guarded prick too.

My uncle used to run the Railway in North Freo for a while. if you know Freo, you know it's rough as all ****. for some reason the Dockers held a couple of post seasons there and apparantly Ryan Crowley was obsessed with the condom machine and blowing them into balloons and Pav was a lightweight. he also operated the Brunswick Hotel for a while and they basically gave the lads free beers after Princes Park games; Peter Bell just sat by himself all the time at the bar and Troy 'Snakey' Simonds was obsessed with the Actua Tennis machine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor Adams and Toby Greene are both shocking blokes

Some of the stuff Toby has done, both publicly and privately, it's hard to fathom he's the captain of an AFL club.

Hopefully neither will win a premiership. (Adams isn't best 23)

Yeah I was shocked to be honest, I must have only been 19 or so, this guy only just played his first good year and was carrying on like he was Wayne Carey off the back of it. Absolute w***er.
I had a similar impression of Jason McCartney when he first started. Kid was new to the big smoke walking around like his shit didn't stink. Was introduced to him by a mutual friend and poor Jason fancied himself a bit too much . He is probably a lot different now considering what he went through

I had a similar impression of Jason McCartney when he first started. Kid was new to the big smoke walking around like his shit didn't stink. Was introduced to him by a mutual friend and poor Jason fancied himself a bit too much . He is probably a lot different now considering what he went through
Shooting Bambi in the back of the legs here but always thought he was a bit of a knob.

North genuinely needed that win that night and he kept banging on about how it wasn't about him and then... wasn't very effective and then retired immediately after.

It was all about him.

Tough what happened to him but I think we could all recover if we had 10 medical staff looking after us after single day.

Taylor Adams and Toby Greene are both shocking blokes

Some of the stuff Toby has done, both publicly and privately, it's hard to fathom he's the captain of an AFL club.

Hopefully neither will win a premiership. (Adams isn't best 23)
Used to think our rivalry with GWS and particular Greene was mostly theatre.

Spoke to a Dogs player who told me if there was a button they could press that would anonymously wipe Greene off the face of the earth with no consequences he and most of the side would dive over a table to smack it repeatedly. They genuinely hate him.

Someone mentioned cricketers higher up. Murali I bumped into in a random city nightclub when he was secretly in Australia for shoulder surgery. I said 'oh the cricketer', he replied 'yes, yes' and shook my hand. Then throughout the night every time I walked past him on the dance floor he gave me a high 5, what a legend. It was an rnb/rap club so I dunno if anybody else recognised him. But from then on, anybody that called him a chucker, I was all over them like a cheap suit defending the great man 😅.

Someone mentioned cricketers higher up. Murali I bumped into in a random city nightclub when he was secretly in Australia for shoulder surgery. I said 'oh the cricketer', he replied 'yes, yes' and shook my hand. Then throughout the night every time I walked past him on the dance floor he gave me a high 5, what a legend. It was an rnb/rap club so I dunno if anybody else recognised him. But from then on, anybody that called him a chucker, I was all over them like a cheap suit defending the great man 😅.
Chucker

Marlion shops at Preston Woolworths and always stops to talk to the beggers

His kids go (or went ) to one of the local primary schools . He was picking them up one day & a group of kids gather round saying "do the flip ! Do the flip!."

So he bent his head back and did a 360 backflip & landed on his feet. To general delight.

Then ex Hawthorn player Carl Peterson's son, who was in attendance, executed the same move perfectly.

I was most impressed.

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back