Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Years ago use to see Dayne Beams often in Brisbane walking his dog and at the dog park, and I had my dog. He was very friendly and polite, but you could sense an inner sadness.
We never spoke about AFL and I never spoke about by job, who wants to speak their work on their time off.
You've clearly never dated a nurse or a school teacher.

People in the Northern states really don't give a rat's bumhole about AFL. You got the 20k - 30k who attend the matches and some more who will have the game on in the background TV if they've got nothing better to do. The other 98 % wouldn't know their Toby Green if he walked up and punched them in the face wearing a GWS jumper.

I don't know if it's still the case but the away teams playing in Sydney always used to stay at the Pullman hotel opposite Hyde Park in the centre of Sydney, which is where my work put me up once a month when I had to travel to Sydney. Teams would literally do warm up exercises in full matching tracksuits in Hyde Park at peak hour and nobody would pay them the slightest attention

My best mate has lived in Sydney for 20 years and reckons people don't really care about sport in general there. Well compared to other cities he has worked in.

My best mate has lived in Sydney for 20 years and reckons people don't really care about sport in general there. Well compared to other cities he has worked in.
True.

We’re not obsessed by it there like say, Melbourne.

Nice to watch on telly, general chit chat at work, go to the occasional game but very few have their weekends ruined if their team doesn’t win.

Extends to all sports. Not just the football codes.

True.

We’re not obsessed by it there like say, Melbourne.

Nice to watch on telly, general chit chat at work, go to the occasional game but very few have their weekends ruined if their team doesn’t win.

Extends to all sports. Not just the football codes.
What do people do in Sydney? the hospitality there is shithouse and rude and it feels like the only people in pubs are little cokehead zoomers or 38 year old single blokes.

City ugly and grey. then you go to the beaches and it's just populated by rich Danish data analysts and gyno'd Americans.

Always thought it was sort of a cool place but jesus christ nah, it genuinely is a weird place.

The people there are hotter though and it does have some of the most spectacular views in the world. reckon only Edinburgh or parts of northern Italy/France rival it in terms of seeing something magnificent in the background.

What do people do in Sydney? the hospitality there is shithouse and rude and it feels like the only people in pubs are little cokehead zoomers or 38 year old single blokes.

City ugly and grey. then you go to the beaches and it's just populated by rich Danish data analysts and gyno'd Americans.

Always thought it was sort of a cool place but jesus christ nah, it genuinely is a weird place.

The people there are hotter though and it does have some of the most spectacular views in the world. reckon only Edinburgh or parts of northern Italy/France rival it in terms of seeing something magnificent in the background.
Stuffed if I know. I hate the joint. Why I moved to Melbourne.

You’re spot on re: Edinburgh.

I’m too chicken to approach footballers these days, even when the opportunity is ripe

Couple of weeks ago I walked into the South Yarra shopping centre at the same time as Bill Brownless, walked alongside him for a good minute or two without making eye contact. Hell, I grabbed a plastic bag to get bananas from Woolies straight after he did the same, saying ‘sorry mate’ as I needed him to move to the side to grab my bag

Schrödinger’s celebrity I guess, unknown whether they’re rude or nice - and maybe that’s a good thing

I knew a girl who did sex with Neitz back in the day, after he picked her up in nightclub . She brought him back home. She was short and petite and Neitzy kept picking her up and throwing her about the bed in different positions. She had to stop the sex and say 'Neitzy this is getting annoying, will you just pick one position and go for it?' I don't know how he reacted to that.

I had the exact same feeling when Neil Daniher kept moving Neitz between FF and CHB when we were struggling.

Matty Armstrong (North and Fitzroy) lived across the road when I was a kid, he was a legend, often took us to the park for a kick and gave us a footy each.

Before the 99 final against West Coast, was playing kick to kick outside the ground. Some guy started running towards us on the lead asking for us to kick it to him. It was Dipper :) He was a legend.

Met Bont and Marra at the races last year. I was drunk enough to approach, so I daresay would have been super annoying, despite that both were super friendly.

When I was kid and Gavin Brown came to our school, he was a dick. Signed one autograph for the class to share. Had a good experience with quite a few cricketers including Ricky Ponting and Greg Blewett. Mark Taylor and Craig McDermott were flogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew a girl who did sex with Neitz back in the day, after he picked her up in nightclub . She brought him back home. She was short and petite and Neitzy kept picking her up and throwing her about the bed in different positions. She had to stop the sex and say 'Neitzy this is getting annoying, will you just pick one position and go for it?' I don't know how he reacted to that.

He was recovering from injury & was wearing a knee brace. He left it behind and she contacted him to retrieve it but he never returned. It lived on the balcony for a while.
He just came up as a friend suggestion on Facebook. I should send him this and
Get him to confirm or deny 🤣

Years ago use to see Dayne Beams often in Brisbane walking his dog and at the dog park, and I had my dog. He was very friendly and polite, but you could sense an inner sadness.
We never spoke about AFL and I never spoke about by job, who wants to speak their work on their time off.
For many people that's all they seem to talk about on their time off.

Could be off base but I get the feeling the NRL doesn't have the same number of casual fans/general public at least knowing a bit about it as AFL. I mean they have less members/supporters in general, but it seems to permeate the culture in Sydney less than AFL in Melbourne and the footy states.

I remember the first time I visited Sydney. The plethora of rugby fields and lack of footy ovals was actually a culture shock haha.

Could be off base but I get the feeling the NRL doesn't have the same number of casual fans/general public at least knowing a bit about it as AFL. I mean they have less members/supporters in general, but it seems to permeate the culture in Sydney less than AFL in Melbourne and the footy states.

I remember the first time I visited Sydney. The plethora of rugby fields and lack of footy ovals was actually a culture shock haha.

Depends whereabouts you are:
In the country, everyone does. Different in Sydney.

Yeah was thinking Sydney in particular. In Melbourne there are a lot of people who say they go for a team but rarely even watch them on tv.

Age is a factor in Sydney. It would be rare amongst people 50+ in Sydney who have lived in Australia most of their life to find anyone who doesn’t or didn’t have a league team but you would find a lot saying they ‘used’ to follow such-and-such.

27 years on and Super League still has taken a toll for a lot of people who never really got over it.

Age is a factor in Sydney. It would be rare amongst people 50+ in Sydney who have lived in Australia most of their life to find anyone who doesn’t or didn’t have a league team but you would find a lot saying they ‘used’ to follow such-and-such.

27 years on and Super League still has taken a toll for a lot of people who never really got over it.
Yeah the AFL has done better promoting and marketing itself. I'm biased but I feel Aussie rules is a bit easier for people to get into. People talk about the rules, and yeah there are issues with interpretation, but like soccer it's easier to intuitively grasp the rules. In rugby league for instance you wouldn't know how many tackles a team gets before they give the ball back to the opposition (I only learned that this year actually). And don't get me started on American football/gridiron.

But yeah, it's just so embedded in the culture here. Go to the city during a weekend during season it's flooded with footy fans, everyone talks about big games etc. It's funny Melbourne is also seen as both the arts/culture and sporting capital (despite Sydneys superior climate), as those are usually seen as polar opposites. Obviously getting the big events is a part of that.

Yeah the AFL has done better promoting and marketing itself. I'm biased but I feel Aussie rules is a bit easier for people to get into. People talk about the rules, and yeah there are issues with interpretation, but like soccer it's easier to intuitively grasp the rules. In rugby league for instance you wouldn't know how many tackles a team gets before they give the ball back to the opposition (I only learned that this year actually). And don't get me started on American football/gridiron.

But yeah, it's just so embedded in the culture here. Go to the city during a weekend during season it's flooded with footy fans, everyone talks about big games etc. It's funny Melbourne is also seen as both the arts/culture and sporting capital (despite Sydneys superior climate), as those are usually seen as polar opposites. Obviously getting the big events is a part of that.

Yeah those are fair points.

You get that flooding of footy fans in Sydney within individual suburbs, but never in the city as a whole.

Some places like Canterbury-Bankstown-Belmore (Bulldogs) and Penrith, they breathe it and especially with how successful Penrith have become, it’s embedded there: you can’t escape it. But there are also countless suburbs where on a weekend you can go and you won’t see a footy jersey either

Yeah those are fair points.

You get that flooding of footy fans in Sydney within individual suburbs, but never in the city as a whole.

Some places like Canterbury-Bankstown-Belmore (Bulldogs) and Penrith, they breathe it and especially with how successful Penrith have become, it’s embedded there: you can’t escape it. But there are also countless suburbs where on a weekend you can go and you won’t see a footy jersey either
Interesting, I find it so interesting how we have two sports that divide the country. Can't think of any other country where this is the case.

How tied to each suburb/area are the clubs supporters? Like in Melbourne most club supporters are pretty spread out, although the Western Bulldogs are still pretty tied to Footscray and the West, and Footscray identity. It's interesting both Canterbury and Footscray are working class inner western suburbs, the Bulldog is an apt symbol for an underdog team, though I think the NRL Bulldogs have done a fair bit better.

Interesting, I find it so interesting how we have two sports that divide the country. Can't think of any other country where this is the case.

How tied to each suburb/area are the clubs supporters? Like in Melbourne most club supporters are pretty spread out, although the Western Bulldogs are still pretty tied to Footscray and the West, and Footscray identity. It's interesting both Canterbury and Footscray are working class inner western suburbs, the Bulldog is an apt symbol for an underdog team, though I think the NRL Bulldogs have done a fair bit better.

It’s complex

I’ve never lived in Sydney so I find it harder to get a read on broadly across all the teams but Penrith I’ve spent a fair bit of time in, been to home games, dated two different partners from there and it’s pretty ingrained: if you’re from there, you go for Penrith, no ifs or buts. It’s an us against the rest mentality. The inner west, where the western suburbs magpies were based, I know that during their existence was the same. I went to a couple of pubs there at Lidcombe recently before a concert there was still Wests stuff plastered all over the pubs - the club as a single entity hasn’t existed for a quarter of a century so I assume in the day they were very passionate in that way. It was a battlers area, a battlers club, and fostered that whole ‘fibros vs silvertail’s narrative that was such a part of rugby league in the 1970s. The battlers of the west against the rich boys at manly.

North of the bridge I don’t think it’s ever been the same. Both Norths and Manly had their passionate supporters but north Sydney in particular is a very very affluent area and probably battled a lot with rugby union for a fanbase. North Sydney oval is so pretty but it was a small ground, they still have a decent amount of fans but they were quiet. Like a Melbourne Demons vibe maybe: always part of the traditional furniture but never rabid.

The Roosters - my club - have been there since the beginning, as time has gone on, we’ve veered more and more towards symbolising wealth. That wasn’t always the case, but as Bondi and the city have become wealthy that’s what our club has become associated with, and as we are run by Nick Politis who is as rich as shit, and we have a reputation for buying any player we want, and not having much of a junior base since we lost a lot of it to Souths, a lot of people think of us as soulless. It’s not really a fair wrap but it is rooted in a seed of truth. We do have a good following in Bondi and some of the suburbs but within the actual city no one gives a shit. I don’t think we have many fans in Sydney beyond our boundaries really.

Around Redfern everyone loves South Sydney. It’s a strong Aboriginal community - not without its social issues but the club binds it together and rugby league means a lot to it and everyone loves Souths there. And the rivalry sustains it. It’s not the biggest footy rivalry in Australia - the AFL dominates those - but it’s the one most fuelled by hatred. We hate them and they hate us 😂😂
Souths have fans everywhere though the c**ts

Further down south the Sharks are pretty localised within the Shire.

St George are strong both in their area and everywhere else - they have a huge presence.

Parramatta are the same. They have a big following across the league, they’re a bit like Richmond pre-2017 in that they have somehow maintained a presence in the power-clubs despite letting every fan down for four decades continually.
The Dogs have a huuuuuuge multicultural following, the middle eastern community love them so anywhere there is a strong presence of that demographic they have a big following.

Whereas when I went back to South West Sydney in 2015 (after leaving in 2012) I was shocked by how many AFL posts there were compared to when I left.

Kinda like the Giants were increasing participation in the western suburbs.

But surely that CAN’T be true? We’re a waste of money and offer no value to the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back