Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your mate is correct.

Footy is nowhere near as ingrained over here in WA. ( I moved here 20 years ago).

In my office building there are about 40 people. I can talk footy with about 5 of them, max. And a lot only know about WCE/Freo.

I know plenty of blokes who like to watch the footy, but don't have a team. That would be unheard of in Vic.

I laugh when I hear WA described as a "footy mad state". It's not.
Where are most of your workmates from? Plenty of people from the UK, NZ, SA etc. In fact Perth has more UK born than Sydney or Melbourne despite being much smaller.

Your mate is correct.

Footy is nowhere near as ingrained over here in WA. ( I moved here 20 years ago).

In my office building there are about 40 people. I can talk footy with about 5 of them, max. And a lot only know about WCE/Freo.

I know plenty of blokes who like to watch the footy, but don't have a team. That would be unheard of in Vic.

I laugh when I hear WA described as a "footy mad state". It's not.
Also on the flipside, I moved here to Melbourne years ago and none of the Melburnian friends I know even watch footy or have a team. Or most of the people I meet. Partly the type of people I meet or hang with. Remember meeting someone from Perth here...asked him if he was Eagles or Dockers and he replied: 'I'm a nerd, so neither', with the assumption being nerds aren't into footy. Which is mostly true. Same with the hipster arty arty types.

My sister-in-law is mad Pies supporter and her favourite player was Darcy Moore. He was at NBL game sitting in front of her and my brother near courtside. At the end of a quarter, she said "hello" to him. He said to her "go on, take your selfie and then f*ck off!" She didn't want a selfie and was disgusted. Just said to him "I'm good, thank you!" Her favourite player is now Charlie Curnow.
Lying Pants On Fire GIF

People in WA do care about football. people love it, particularly out in the country and particularly for the Eagles.

It's just way more of a social engagement in Melbourne. plenty of people who are barely arsed about the sport will still go to a game once a year or so and own a scarf to go along with it; people might be more open to watching a game on Friday night with their boyfriend or something.

It's just a more casual engagement and that's probably due to the ease of attending matches.

For nearly two decades, you could barely get a ticket to an Eagles game. I went to school in a footy-mad town and kids were astonished I'd go to a real, live game at Subiaco. it was really only because I was a Freo supporter and you could always get a ticket sitting with the morons in the death trap three tier stand.

People in WA do care about football. people love it, particularly out in the country and particularly for the Eagles.

It's just way more of a social engagement in Melbourne. plenty of people who are barely arsed about the sport will still go to a game once a year or so and own a scarf to go along with it; people might be more open to watching a game on Friday night with their boyfriend or something.

It's just a more casual engagement and that's probably due to the ease of attending matches.

For nearly two decades, you could barely get a ticket to an Eagles game. I went to school in a footy-mad town and kids were astonished I'd go to a real, live game at Subiaco. it was really only because I was a Freo supporter and you could always get a ticket sitting with the morons in the death trap three tier stand.

This is an issue then, so many people have been priced out of attending, which typically takes you from an ok casual fan, to a full on footy nuffie. It's why Perth 3 could be seen as important though, because it opens access to a whole lot of locked out people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back