Expansion "Ruling the World" - 60 Minutes article on AFL - well worth watching

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was travelling through europe earlier this year, nearly every day someone I was talking to in a pub would ask me about AFL. Mostly it was people saying they have watched some matches and loved the pace, the skill and the high scoring

Every person I met overseas had never heard of it and the one that did thought I was talking about Rugby...

When I was travelling through europe earlier this year, nearly every day someone I was talking to in a pub would ask me about AFL. Mostly it was people saying they have watched some matches and loved the pace, the skill and the high scoring nature.

Occasionally I've run into die hard fans. One French guy was a mad Bombers fan and told me all the scores from the weekend before.

I am the first to admit that the claims about AFL's global growth have elements of exaggeration. Look at my post above.

However, it is not nearly as miniscule as the soccer fanboys would have us believe.

I can see AFL overtaking both forms of rugby in europe in the next 10 or so years, and in our lifetime it will be the world's biggest sport.

C'mon mate, let's not get carried away. I'm sure you love footy as much as I do, and I consider myself hardcore, but some perspective please.

However, it is not nearly as miniscule as the soccer fanboys would have us believe.

I can see AFL overtaking both forms of rugby in europe in the next 10 or so years, and in our lifetime it will be the world's biggest sport.

Wish I could agree with you but nothing I have seen over here would support what you are saying. Rugby is massive in France, Ireland and even parts of Germany and Switzerland.

Most people I've spoken to about AFL think I'm talking about Rugby.

Impossible......To play AFL you need alot of space and most parts of the world there isn't enough space to play AFL. That is where soccer has the advantage, a group of kids can play soccer with a little tennis ball in a small car park, if they have to.

Impossible......To play AFL you need alot of space and most parts of the world there isn't enough space to play AFL. That is where soccer has the advantage, a group of kids can play soccer with a little tennis ball in a small car park, if they have to.

This.

How does expanding the game overseas help us?

I think its just the AFL exercising growth for its own sake and stroking their own egos at the same time.

Is the ultimate aim to relegate Australian footy to 2nd rate status with all our best players playing for rich overseas club, just like soccer?

How does expanding the game overseas help us?

I think its just the AFL exercising growth for its own sake and stroking their own egos at the same time.

Is the ultimate aim to relegate Australian footy to 2nd rate status with all our best players playing for rich overseas club, just like soccer?

Even if that was to happen it is a long looooooooooooooong way off. Like, not in my lifetime long.

Not a bad story on 60 minutes, but the AFL has done very little in regards to developing the game internationally. 99.9% of the work has been done by the blokes on the ground, both expats and locals - they are the ones busting their gut week in, week out to recruit players, organise training, source uniforms and footballs, coach, umpire, put up posts, mark grounds and the list goes on!

If not for their efforts, there would be no story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good piece on 60 minutes. Yes Ray Martin is a condescending w***er but at least it got some air time.

Loved hearing about playing on the MCG. :thumbsu:

The game should keep the international development work up, its like Sheedy said we have never really tried. A couple of junket exhibition games was never going to cut it.

Concentrate on PNG, Sth Africa and Pacific Isles. Thoughts/comments of world domination are counter productive. We dont need to surround the AFL's efforts with hubris.

Not a bad story on 60 minutes, but the AFL has done very little in regards to developing the game internationally. 99.9% of the work has been done by the blokes on the ground, both expats and locals - they are the ones busting their gut week in, week out to recruit players, organise training, source uniforms and footballs, coach, umpire, put up posts, mark grounds and the list goes on!

If not for their efforts, there would be no story.

That's very true with the exception of Sth Africa which did feature heavily in the 60 minutes story.

When I was travelling through europe earlier this year, nearly every day someone I was talking to in a pub would ask me about AFL. Mostly it was people saying they have watched some matches and loved the pace, the skill and the high scoring nature.

Occasionally I've run into die hard fans. One French guy was a mad Bombers fan and told me all the scores from the weekend before.

I am the first to admit that the claims about AFL's global growth have elements of exaggeration. Look at my post above.

x2

nobody really follows soccer in europe anymore..

of course it's an exaggeration, but our great game is catching up at an alarming rate, and will surpass soccer before long

recently joined, Supports Western Sydney.

I smell Troll

Perhaps, but the question remains, what is the ultimate aim of trying to get the rest of the world playing AFL?

AFL is never going to be the world's number 1 sport or anything close. Except I can see it developing into an underground following sport/ even become a minor sport (like I don't know basketball or something here) in other countries. If this happens, Australia will still be the number 1 league and the best players will still play here. The only implications are really more money pumped into the game from tv rights and merchandise and also probably the occational player from Sweden or Italy or something who makes it big here.

AFL is never going to be the world's number 1 sport or anything close. Except I can see it developing into an underground following sport/ even become a minor sport (like I don't know basketball or something here) in other countries. If this happens, Australia will still be the number 1 league and the best players will still play here. The only implications are really more money pumped into the game from tv rights and merchandise and also probably the occational player from Sweden or Italy or something who makes it big here.

Spot on.

Historical sporting ties are difficult to break down. The International AFL car wont go from zero to 100Km in 5 secs, its in first gear for sometime, second gear is a long long way away.

I love footy - but let's not get carried away!!

We all love footy. But before the AFL get carried away with this overseas stuff, how about sorting out the footy here. The game game is dying in Tasmania due to pure unadulterated neglect by the AFL. The place has been sucked dry of money & talent for years. We cant even attract ex AFL players to coach down here. Hawthorn & possibly North Melb are just further examples of this continual sucking Tasmania dry. So stuff the rest of the planet. First things first.

recently joined, Supports Western Sydney.

I smell Troll

I have been a member here before, but I made too many enemies by being a passionate supporter, so on re-joining I decided to remain anonymous.

And where is the faith? If you don't think AFL is going to be the world's biggest sport, maybe you should stop following our great game and start watching soccer. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 0-0 draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion "Ruling the World" - 60 Minutes article on AFL - well worth watching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back