Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
The whole thing's farcical. Two parties, both completely unknown, both without criminal histories, both seemingly upstanding members of the communities. RH sets up camp right next door, theres kms of space available. How the two parties got into an argument is ridiculous in this scenario. GL should've left instead of engage. Guess it's all coulda woulda shoulda now though.
You are very right, Zidane. The Prs. put it to Lynn on the stand that there were several exit points in this conflict, if you take Lynn's vesrion of events. First, if as described, Hill took the gun...Lynn could have left the sight to call/seek police. Similarly, when Carol was shot, once again assuming Lynn's version. Also, another when Hill laying there with knife in chest, etc.

With all those "exit points", any ONE of them would have de-escalated the situation, and would have dramatically change the outcome. At that point, Lynn said he had never considered driving away as an option, until Prs. just mentioned it.

IMO, that is very telling of the character of the man accused...but I think both sides were a bit inclined to not back down.

I also agree, you believe Lynn's version of events, or you don't.😉

Nah, they only intended to stay a couple of days. You don't do No 2s in a porta-potty if there is a toilet handy. I don't think it was too close, they wouldn't have even been able to see his camp.

Getting a bit sick of people blaming Hill for causing his and Clay's deaths somehow. You don't deserve to die for camping 50mtrs away or wanting a particular spot (even if he did). Your partner doesn't deserve to die for being with you.
Not sure Nut was blaming Hill. Just trying to set scenario for angst.

I thought at one stage RH had gone there a couple of days earlier to maybe look for a camping spot?

It is entirely plausible that RH had his heart set on the spot GL was camped and sent the drone up to take a look around. Doesn't look like 50m in pictures and even 50m IS close for bush camping. I have done lots and in such a vast area it would be annoying for someone to set up so close.

You are absolutely right, whatever happened didn't deserve to end in death of 2 people and in no way is RH to blame but there was clearly a confrontation that simmered away and escalated to a situation that got out of control very quickly.

Apparently they dont do judge only in Victoria. Claremont killings was judge only in WA. But i agree

Correct. Jury trials are mandatory for criminal indictable offences in Victoria.

Lynn has demonstrated he has a callous disregard for human suffering. He has admitted his actions were to maintain his lifestyle, nothing more. Over many months, he systematically and meticulously went about ensuring the loved ones of Hill and Clay would be left in that tortuous void of not knowing what happened. Those actions post event were cold blooded and callous in the extreme.

There was no knife for Hill to fall upon. It was invented because there was absolutely no 'accident' story to be told that could include two separate deaths by Lynn's own gun. It explains why Lynn's story had multiple gunshots fired in case they were heard elsewhere in the valley that night. It explains why he had to remove and destroy all evidence, not just of himself as he claimed, but the bodies of his victims because they too contained evidence of Lynn. IMO of course.

It’s weird that Hill decided to camp so close… an excuse would be they wanted to be close to the drop box… but Hill had his own toilet.

I reckon Hill wanted Lynn’s spot .. and camped so close hoping Lynn would move.
This would have been the start of tensions.
You are spot on IMO. Hill wanted the spot but Lynn like the good man he is already had it. When Hill started to setup camp right next door Lynn claims he told Hill why would you want to camp so close , but he then said quote, it's a free world you can camp wherever you want. You can only imagine how Hill took this as someone who believed this was his backyard as a logger who worked there for years. This started the tensions you are right again 100%. The drone came next and for Lynn it was final straw IMO. Lynn claims he saw the drone and Hill putting it away in it's case and decided to approach him and ask why was he flying his drone? Not sure what words Lynn would have actually used but I'd suggest they were more aggressive and portrayed his feelings of rude and having his private space taken away. Hill would have stood up for himself, once again this is like his personal backyard and told Lynn where to go. You know the rest.

Question for those following the case closely, when Lynn went on the stand, did the prosecution ask him any questions or challenge his version of events?

Lynn has demonstrated he has a callous disregard for human suffering. He has admitted his actions were to maintain his lifestyle, nothing more. Over many months, he systematically and meticulously went about ensuring the loved ones of Hill and Clay would be left in that tortuous void of not knowing what happened. Those actions post event were cold blooded and callous in the extreme.

There was no knife for Hill to fall upon. It was invented because there was absolutely no 'accident' story to be told that could include two separate deaths by Lynn's own gun. It explains why Lynn's story had multiple gunshots fired in case they were heard elsewhere in the valley that night. It explains why he had to remove and destroy all evidence, not just of himself as he claimed, but the bodies of his victims because they too contained evidence of Lynn. IMO of course.
100% you are putting the jigsaw together. The extra gunshots is the key as you say, Lynn believed someone would have heard these echo though the valley down the weed sprayer etc

Not sure Nut was blaming Hill. Just trying to set scenario for angst.

I thought at one stage RH had gone there a couple of days earlier to maybe look for a camping spot?

It is entirely plausible that RH had his heart set on the spot GL was camped and sent the drone up to take a look around. Doesn't look like 50m in pictures and even 50m IS close for bush camping. I have done lots and in such a vast area it would be annoying for someone to set up so close.

You are absolutely right, whatever happened didn't deserve to end in death of 2 people and in no way is RH to blame but there was clearly a confrontation that simmered away and escalated to a situation that got out of control very quickly.
My point is, that it is more likely that the confrontation was caused and escalated by Lynn himself. As has been pointed out many times, Hill was unlikely to take on a man armed with guns and knives in an isolated area with no other campers around and while he was with his lady-love.

Question for those following the case closely, when Lynn went on the stand, did the prosecution ask him any questions or challenge his version of events?
There is an hour long podcast episode with a good amount of the question etc that were put to him. The answer is yes, but if you want details, that's your place to go.

Not sure about this photo given the proportionate size of the shotgun (could be spliced together -it’s from The Age).

You’ll notice the shotgun and rifle are stored together in the same case. It would make sense if these are his hunting weapons.

He could have transferred these to individual bags for his trip. I wouldn’t have bothered. Does make it an interesting point according to GLs story that RH took the shotgun over the rifle if they were both stored in this case.

1718609443509.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is, that it is more likely that the confrontation was caused and escalated by Lynn himself. As has been pointed out many times, Hill was unlikely to take on a man armed with guns and knives in an isolated area with no other campers around and while he was with his lady-love.

I believe Hill approached GL for sure. Him camping 50m away is a pretty obvious place to start. That's definitely not the norm for Wonnangatta camping.

Not sure about this photo given the proportionate size of the shotgun (could be spliced together -it’s from The Age).

You’ll notice the shotgun and rifle are stored together in the same case. It would make sense if these are his hunting weapons.

He could have transferred these to individual bags for his trip. I wouldn’t have bothered. Does make it an interesting point according to GLs story that RH took the shotgun over the rifle if they were both stored in this case.

View attachment 2022604
I thought I read somewhere he used soft gun bags?
That case could make sense on an off-road trip, but he also has pretty cheap taste in firearms and maybe doesn't care about protection.

I believe Hill approached GL for sure. Him camping 50m away is a pretty obvious place to start. That's definitely not the norm for Wonnangatta camping.

The inverse could also be true. Set up camp so close (passive agressive move) GL approaches RH to ask what he’s doing camping so close and it escalates from there.

That case could make sense on an off-road trip, but he also has pretty cheap taste in firearms and maybe doesn't care about protection.

Yeah I thought I read that also. I’m just intrigued by the photo and the possibility he’s used that case to transport the firearms. Because it’s a good, very secure case.

Take your point on the quality. The rifle looks like a Ruger American. Short barrel I’m assuming in .308. Not a bad rifle but factory stock and it looks like he’s gone for some sort of vortex scope on it. Some piece of shit Chinese glass version American larpers put on their ARs. Probably a strike eagle but hard to say.

Nah, they only intended to stay a couple of days. You don't do No 2s in a porta-potty if there is a toilet handy. I don't think it was too close, they wouldn't have even been able to see his camp.

Getting a bit sick of people blaming Hill for causing his and Clay's deaths somehow. You don't deserve to die for camping 50mtrs away or wanting a particular spot (even if he did). Your partner doesn't deserve to die for being with you.

Disagree, the only reason I bring a portaloo is for number 2… bush wees for number 1

Drop boxes stink.. I’d be certain Hill brought it for Clay to do number 2’s and 1’s.

I was just thinking that. They’re such cheap (and ugly) firearms, especially for someone who supposedly was making pretty good coin.

During the cross from DP, when asked about RH leaving evidence on his stuff, he said that there "could" have been "on the gun bag"

View attachment 2022604
Yeah really good pick up. There's a really good chance they were locked away in this case when he finished shooting. Would make sense. Off course in his story the guns would never make it back to this case would they because how could Hill have stolen the shoty if it was locked up. If I were a shooter I would put both guns back all the time for security and protection. Don't think the relevance of this case was brought up during trial? Anyone know? (i'm presuming this case went with him as opposed to soft bags)

Yeah I thought I read that also. I’m just intrigued by the photo and the possibility he’s used that case to transport the firearms. Because it’s a good, very secure case.

Take your point on the quality. The rifle looks like a Ruger American. Short barrel I’m assuming in .308. Not a bad rifle but factory stock and it looks like he’s gone for some sort of vortex scope on it. Some piece of shit Chinese glass version American larpers put on their ARs. Probably a strike eagle but hard to say.
Agreed on all fronts.

Looks like a Pelican 1720 knockoff case (black latches give it away as fake). They're bloody bulky cases on a back seat as Ive learnt.

But with that trailer he should have had plenty of space.
I've always wondered why he was even towing that trailer, seems so unnecessary and painful on those roads for a solo trip.
Ive passed thousands of 4x4s in the Vic Alps and can barely recall a single box trailer that wasn't a camper trailer apart from one Gronk poaching firewood.

Disagree, the only reason I bring a portaloo is for number 2… bush wees for number 1

Drop boxes stink.. I’d be certain Hill brought it for Clay to do number 2’s and 1’s.
Some drop toilets are ok Hiking designated ones are the cleanest!, but yeah, 100% bought it for Clay so she didn't have to go far.

Agreed on all fronts.

Looks like a Pelican 1720 knockoff case (black latches give it away as fake). They're bloody bulky cases on a back seat as Ive learnt.

I've always wondered why he was even towing that trailer, seems so unnecessary and painful on those roads for a solo trip.
Ive passed thousands of 4x4s in the Vic Alps and can barely recall a single box trailer that wasn't a camper trailer apart from one Gronk poaching firewood.
Some of the more gnarly tracks in the Alpine region even ban trailers of any sort.

Double soft case gun bag's are lockable with a padlock. See link. https://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/gamekeeper-evo-double-gun-case-140cm/

Agreed on all fronts.

Another good pick up re having plenty of space as a single camper with trailer attached. In fact the significance of the trailer is huge when you think if he didn't have it what would he have done with the bodies? Put them in the car? And so why did he take the trailer? Humm.. Surely not..... :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back