Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:

craffles it’s for real this time

Thanks legends. Can’t believe he actually got done for at least one. Great outcome considering the prosecution IMO did a poor job.

Inkling I have is that he was arrested prematurely because he might have harmed somebody else, not himself.

I haven't been able to find any of those arrest day conversations he had with himself that happened but that's my feel.

From The Age

“There was also mention at one point ... about being bitten by a snake would be a good way to go,” Florence said.

“He regularly spoke to himself.”

The recording captured Lynn’s ramblings: “I saw some people fishing, what’s that, a snake bite. Would be a good way to go. Just f---ing never know when it’s coming, f---, shit. Australia’s gift.

“I think she knows I’m on the way up, one of the pages of the final chapter.”

Police grew concerned Lynn sounded depressed, and knowing he was in a remote location with firearms, decided to move in”.

If it was a neighbours cat he killed, would that make it justified in your opinion?
Could well make it justified if it was on his property. But that's not what it's about is it. It's about people joining in and repeating something not offering any proof to ; he did this, he did that years ago. Did he really do all these this n thats?

I think there will be an appeal mounted very shortly.

Could well make it justified if it was on his property. But that's not what it's about is it. It's about people joining in and repeating something not offering any proof to ; he did this, he did that years ago. Did he really do all these this n thats?

gymjam, genuine question, do you know GL or do you genuinely think he’s innocent?
A cat comes on to your property and to kill it is justified?

You threw off and made it about a cat as if that makes it acceptable, when it's in this thread it was a neighbours dog he killed. It was curious you did that.

Of course he will try to appeal the decision but on what grounds do you think?

Agree with his idea, if in crude form, that when the accused has destroyed all the evidence, they lose the presumption of innocence.

I still don't agree with him being stunned that the jury "either believe him or you don't" so therefore there must be two same verdicts.

The prosecution gave the jury a scenario that made way for split verdicts and I did post in here I think it was on the first day of the trial, we might get split verdicts, pegging it as guilty for the manslaughter of Hill and the murder of Clay.

Agree with his idea, if in crude form, that when the accused has destroyed all the evidence, they lose the presumption of innocence.

I still don't agree with him being stunned that the jury "either believe him or you don't" so therefore there must be two same verdicts.

The prosecution gave the jury a scenario that made way for split verdicts and I did post in here I think it was on the first day of the trial, we might get split verdicts, pegging it as guilty for the manslaughter of Hill and the murder of Clay.

Agree. I’m not sure how you would craft a law to remove the presumption of innocence on the destruction of evidence.

This was such a unique case. Going to be interesting how this is dealt with during the plea hearing and sentencing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he be? Can he be charged with anything else as far as RH is concerned? Reckless disregard for safety? And what about the destruction of the bodies?

If he was gonna be charged he would have been already. You can’t file a charge after the evidence has been heard.

There’s not many offences he could be charged with.

Perhaps “offensive conduct involving human remains”?

There used to be an offence to “interfere with a corpse of a human being” but they amended it from “interfere” to “sexual activity”

another might be, “Removal of body parts from the corpse of a human being” but that might be hard to prove if he burnt them whole.

Yeah he nearly derailed the trial big time.I don't get it,can he use his own interpretation without getting pulled up ?
A powerful post you just made and my sentiments exactly,it's been great discussing it all with you !
Goodnight now knowing justice has been served and hopefully we are rid of that menace.
Judges reputations can take a battering in high profile cases like this, as Judge Croucher's reputation will. In a completely different case, Pell vs The Queen at the Victorian court of appeals, two of the appeals court judges knocked back Pell's appeal based on the central prosecution argument of the original jury trial on the basis that the plaintiff was truthful. Their written summation was unusually brief and paid little attention to the evidence presented in the jury trial. The other judge after revisiting all of the evidence found that the original conviction was flawed or unsafe and wrote a 100 page summary of his reasoning. The case then went to the High Court which unanimously overturned the conviction. In their ruling they noted the excellent summary written by the dissenting judge in the Court of Appeals. The also admonished the ruling of the Appeals Court in upholding the conviction. It was a serious slapping down of the other two judges on the Appeals Court which had to hurt their reputations.

Last edited:
Wow this thread moved fast!😱 Been away working for 5 days, and went from 40 odd to 68 pages! Happy to see verdict today, but sad for Hill's family. Justice has largely prevailed, he's going inside for a long time, lets see if he goes back for his hat by appealing?🤠
Anyone here in court for verdict? Apparantly, according to Media, Mrs. L wasn't in today?

This is a very interesting part of trial now...media constant releases of all the preamble and exclusions of the trial, not heard by jury....it's absolutely intriguing, and Dann did an above exceptional job for his client, whether you agree with his approach or not. I think his value has just increased markedly! (As well as possibly being able to enjoy a property in Caroline Springs?😋)
Almost an anticlimax, many learned humans on this wonderful board having deduced a similar path to the jury. I have felt honoured to have experienced the comraderie and erudite debate (mostly, except cookers and blow-ins!) ...really energised by the valued contributions by some regulars on here!
Kurve, you deserve a significant accolade, and eternal gratitude for keeping this medium in the middle lane, despite frequency of obstacles! IMO, the best moderated one i have ever been fortunate to be involved with...since the late, great Ben Sandilands and MH370...😊

Fundamentally, Lynn was not believed, but had done an exceptional job of destroying evidence. A bullet with Clay DNA gives jury no doubt a gun was involved, subsequent conduct shows intent of strong cover-up to murder. In the case of Hill, I feel the jury simply could not comfortably find guilty with so little 'hard' evidence...couldn't find what really happened with any certainty.

A just, if not perfect, outcome- the convicted man will be denied the pleasure of civil society for a long time.

I'm very curious about the sentencing hearing, and prospect of appeal...IMO, it would be wise counsel advising not appeal?🤔

Can't wait to read all the last 20 pages of debate abd responses over brekkie tomm😊😀

Of course he will try to appeal the decision but on what grounds do you think?

Highly unlikely he’ll appeal.
I think when it was all broken down it was a pretty cut and dry case for at least one count of murder.

Money will be another factor.
He would have dropped between $250k to $350k. Dann would charge around $10k per day, perhaps less over the course of a trial, and the instructing solicitor wouldn’t have been cheap. Throw in the committal and all the prep and he’d be pretty depleted of funds.

Q l

Perhaps are you funding it for him?

Almost an anticlimax, many learned humans on this wonderful board having deduced a similar path to the jury. I have felt honoured to have experienced the comraderie and erudite debate (mostly, except cookers and blow-ins!) ...really energised by the valued contributions by some regulars on here!

I was going to write something similar but you have expressed my thoughts perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back