News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Yeah, nah time for a fresh set of eyes.

Cerra turned into a soft tissue merchant.

Walsh, known for his elite durability all through juniors and through his first couple of years with us, now dealing with stress fractures & back issues.

Continual re-signing of injury prone players (do not tell me he doesn’t have a say in these decisions).

Fitness of the group on game day is just ok, no better or worse than any other club.

Way too many soft tissues & stress fractures which are common results from overloading or overtraining.

He was clearly a genius at Hawthorn, but it’s an ever changing industry, and it’s a whole new group which he’s had for a while now.

Try someone else, can’t hurt.

Not against change BUT I would really like to know if it’s a fitness issue or picking injury prone/fragile players?

I know that we have tried EVERYTHING with names like Marchbank Williams Martin Cuningham and explored so many experts from around the world to help. Not sure more could be done?

My thoughts haven’t changed, the facts just solidify them Arrow, he’s failed and needs to go

Would have kept on going but I have been banned twice for having my thoughts on Russell, probably get banned again

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Understand and respect how you and others see it, I just don't buy into situations where there are so many factors, so I look to factual numbers on output

None of us have any information on rehab and or individual player programs

No issue if Russell departs, a new set of eyes/strategies could produce better outcomes

What I have been consistent on, is that we need to start clearing out the perennial injury prone players first and foremost

Not against change BUT I would really like to know if it’s a fitness issue or picking injury prone/fragile players?

I know that we have tried EVERYTHING with names like Marchbank Williams Martin Cuningham and explored so many experts from around the world to help. Not sure more could be done?

Not re-sign them. The fact Cuningham has had 8 years, Marchbank 6(?) is unreal. Martin does his own treatment now, refuses to do anything in-house anymore.

The narrative that Austin is to blame for these decisions is a cop out. There is absolutely no way the s&c team doesn’t sign off or at the very least give a recommendation for this stuff.

I doubt its just Russell himself who’s the problem but the entire department has underperformed for years now, and he’s the head of it. Buck stops etc etc

Understand and respect how you and others see it, I just don't buy into situations where there are so many factors, so I look to factual numbers on output

None of us have any information on rehab and or individual player programs

No issue if Russell departs, a new set of eyes/strategies could produce better outcomes

What I have been consistent on, is that we need to start clearing out the perennial injury prone players first and foremost

If Cottrell has another injury played year in 2025... should we clear him out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best news all year, should have been gone before now though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don't know if it is the best news. It shows we didn't have the best person for the job for at least a while which means it affected the availability of players in our premiership window which is sad to me.

All the best to him but let's hope for an improvement with whoever replaces him going forward.

We can't be going into a the last month of the season we a double digit injury list next year again.

They have had plenty of soft tissue injuries, essentially 4 years older playing a similar amount of games, so no

And a lot of contact injuries too...

Cunners - ACL, multiple shoulder dislocations...
Marchbank - you name it...

4 years older... but they're on the list because we hung onto them...

Cottrell has had nevicular stress in his foot twice now... start of last season and again this year. Now a shoulder fracture... if he suffers more next year, you're still willing to hang onto him despite saying:

I think it needs serious consideration if his body breaks down again next year, particularly if he has navicular stress in his foot again... how long do we hang onto him?

And a lot of contact injuries too...

Cunners - ACL, multiple shoulder dislocations...
Marchbank - you name it...

4 years older... but they're on the list because we hung onto them...

Cottrell has had nevicular stress in his foot twice now... start of last season and again this year. Now a shoulder fracture... if he suffers more next year, you're still willing to hang onto him despite saying:

I think it needs serious consideration if his body breaks down again next year, particularly if he has navicular stress in his foot again... how long do we hang onto him?

I've shared my views, think Cuners and Marchbank are gone, Cottrell will remain

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back