News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Still think most of our issues were from players that had bodies made of glass but when the repeat hamstrings started occurring this season his papers were stamped.

Thanks for our services Jack but the constant drama surrounding our injuries and non stop calls for your head wont be missed

I have no idea if he is responsible for many injuries/recovery or not.

His record before coming to Carlton was very good. What changed?

My gut feel is our injury list has been compounded by keeping injury prone players on it. Can’t blame Russell for injuries to Docherty Jack Cottrell TDK

It’s a chance now to refresh and look at someone with different ideas. I’m sure Cook has some heavy involvement in this and would already have a plan in place

Atleast we'll know now if it's a S&C issue or a player issue if it happens again next year.

This is both good news and bad, for the head of high performance to retire after a review in to our bad run of injuries, suggests to me he was pushed because the review found him to not be up to the job.

Which is bad because we have just wasted two years of our window constantly short on players.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inevitable after the last few years, especially now we're in view of being a contender. Insanity would've been sticking with the status quo after the disasterous soft tissue injuries of the last 2 years and Cook's review.

Are thanks in order? That'll be up to specific players, coaches and club but from a member/fan standpoint all I can do is wish the man well in his future endeavours and happy change is transpiring in a department we've seemingly faltered in.

New medical fascilities, new HPM, de-listings of a few injury proned players and getting that consistent 16+ players playing week in week out and being settled may finally lead to success in 25 (this year is shot sadly).

This is both good news and bad, for the head of high performance to retire after a review in to our bad run of injuries, suggests to me he was pushed because the review found him to not be up to the job.

Which is bad because we have just wasted two years of our window constantly short on players.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.

Yep. Not super excited by this change.

Still think most of our issues were from players that had bodies made of glass but when the repeat hamstrings started occurring this season his papers were stamped.

Thanks for our services Jack but the constant drama surrounding our injuries and non stop calls for your head wont be missed
The club shouldn’t even thank him for his services. He should be the one thanking the club for paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for essentially being shocking at what he does.

Sakced? Plenty seem happy with it. Apparently you came to work each day to sabotage our players and hold back our list management.

I don't think anybody believes there was malice behind his work lol that's crazy talk.

Russell at all times did what he believed was right when it came to every player.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back