News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Didn’t run out ONE game. And the injuries are one that are potentially unavoidable
In fairness, it does seem like weve had a hot start in all 3 of our last 4 losses, but havent been able to sustain that and faded as the games went on.

We've had some bad luck with contact injuries and illness, so its hard to pinpoint exactly where it's all gone wrong. There was an article with Walsh around 6 weeks ago where they referred to a "block of work of training throughout the season" - is there a chance weve overdone it, and are finding our players tired in what have become pretty critical games?

Russell has to go now, no ifs buts or maybes he’d had enough time.

We are rarely ever fit and firing. Some of that can be on some perma injury players we have but if we can’t criticise him and if none of this has any blame on him, when can he be criticised?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because of Cerra?

You do know we outran the Pies yeah?
You constantly defend this guy. Did we outrun them or did we
just do what we always do and pile on 5 goals in a burst? There was still 6 mins on the clock when we were within a couple of points...so not sure we outrun them...otherwise we would have won?
We sure as hell didn't outrun port (yes five day break blah blah) didn't outrun gws. Didn't outrun the dogs...Russell should go, it's pretty clear.

Russell has to go now, no ifs buts or maybes he’d had enough time.

We are rarely ever fit and firing. Some of that can be on some perma injury players we have but if we can’t criticise him and if none of this has any blame on him, when can he be criticised?

For me the reason to sack him is Cerra. 6 hamstring injuries in his 3 years at the club, and put straight back in the team after a long lay off and has looking bad ever since, after being one of our best players last season.

To a lesser extent you could argue the same about how Motlop has been managed this year too. I don’t think he’s accountable for Marchy, Cunners and Martin - they are just broken - that’s on Austen for blindly re-signing them despite their injury profile.

Enough is enough, time to try someone different.

Last edited:
Did we ? They looked gassed in the last coming off a shorter break than us but they held on unlike us the week before … when the game was there to be won where were we ?
We finished the game running on top of the ground with 2 players down on the bench, and Acres, Gov and Newman playing hurt. I thought short breaks were no excuse?

Because of Cerra?

You do know we outran the Pies yeah?

No, I’ve been very consistent with my thoughts over the last 2 years.
Consistently failing in doing his job, his incompetence is right up there with the incompetence of Hughes and Rogers which is going to cost us in this rebuild.

He’s been here for 8 years now, 8 bloody years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For me the reason to sack him is Cerra. 6 hamstring injuries in his 3 years at the club, and put straight back in the team after a long lay off and has looking bad ever since, after being one of our best players last season.

To a lesser extent you could argue the same about how Motlop has been managed this year too. I don’t think he’s accountable for Marchy, Cunners and Martin - they are just broken - that’s on Austen for blindly re-signing them despite their injury profile.

Enough is enough, time to try someone different.

That’s the thing, he’s been here for 8 years, which is the vast majority of Cuners and Marchbank’s careers, Martin has regressed significantly since being with us but he did have a history before coming but it’s reached epic levels under his watch.

Philosophical change needs to happen in the high performance area.

You constantly defend this guy. Did we outrun them or did we
just do what we always do and pile on 5 goals in a burst? There was still 6 mins on the clock when we were within a couple of points...so not sure we outrun them...otherwise we would have won?
We sure as hell didn't outrun port (yes five day break blah blah) didn't outrun gws. Didn't outrun the dogs...Russell should go, it's pretty clear.
Not defending him, defending tge facts, by the numbers, we outran them, so tge loss isn't about fitness

No, I’ve been very consistent with my thoughts over the last 2 years.
Consistently failing in doing his job, his incompetence is right up there with the incompetence of Hughes and Rogers which is going to cost us in this rebuild.

He’s been here for 8 years now, 8 bloody years.

So bumped after a loss where fitness wasn't the issue, just based on an opinion held for 2 years

My thoughts haven’t changed, the facts just solidify them Arrow, he’s failed and needs to go

Would have kept on going but I have been banned twice for having my thoughts on Russell, probably get banned again

Yeah, nah time for a fresh set of eyes.

Cerra turned into a soft tissue merchant.

Walsh, known for his elite durability all through juniors and through his first couple of years with us, now dealing with stress fractures & back issues.

Continual re-signing of injury prone players (do not tell me he doesn’t have a say in these decisions).

Fitness of the group on game day is just ok, no better or worse than any other club.

Way too many soft tissues & stress fractures which are common results from overloading or overtraining.

He was clearly a genius at Hawthorn, but it’s an ever changing industry, and it’s a whole new group which he’s had for a while now.

Try someone else, can’t hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back