Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanbois Farters
Just looking at the state of our list atm questions need to be asked whether it’s a shit list and if so who’s on the above hit lists?
We need to start operating as a business now and not like a 1980s football club and start making smart business strategies to take our club out of this current mire. This is why Geelong are successful as they don’t hold any love for anyone whilst they’re playing and if they’re not performing they move them on . Look at Ratogolea he’s a total spud and they moved him on , yet when we had a chance to move JGTI on we kept him for three extra years only to see him now looking like a total depreciation in what we could’ve got three years ago. We hang onto players for too long expecting them to turn into superstars and we basically are now paying the price for our poor drafting and trades.

The problem barring injuries is draftees are generally undersized and taking longer to develop, but some still look U16 size after three preseasons or so.
Trades or mature players introduced were terrible
Tall forwards mostly injured
Rucks look all terrible including our captain as he lacks discipline and often gets into players way no matter where he’s on the ground.
Backline is ok , but with a slow, undersized and under skilled midfield and getting belted in every area of this position the backline is left under pressure too often.

So who do we delist, trade assist and persist with so we can move faster into winning our 14th flag?

DELIST and RETIREES for me are :

Colina
Banks too light , no real vertical leap, average overhead and not that quick.
Dow too small and light and slow for his size plus all of the above.
KMAC retire off
Pickett retire off
Grimes retire off
Prestia retire off
Kosi delist even if we have to pay him out as our salary cap will be ok next season with all the old guys retiring . Unfortunately having guys like Kosi and Naismith on your list it tells the other clubs that we’re not a serious football club and an unprofessional one. They then go that extra harder at us to dig the boots in. Known as ,” We are everybody’s Grand Final”.
Naismith goes as just mentioned above.
Dusty as we can’t keep rolling him out on big coin with his low DE and poor defensive work. Does some great things still , but he’s too slow now and his opponents are taking advantage of this.

TRADE:
Short before he loses value like JGTI as he’s become a squib, turnover merchant and liability. Offers little to no run out of the BL
JGTI My worry with him will be if he has any serious takers and there’s some noise about, but with his constant injuries he could depreciate further.
Baker looks gone and we must get him traded as I don’t see him as being that much of an asset in terms of A grade material, but he could bring in one with a low first round pick.

Watching today we can’t trade Dan Rioli as we have no quality HBF even though we have a stockpile of them on the list . Rioli is the only guy I trust running the ball out of the BL of the smaller brigade as he’s clean , fast and street smart.

With all of the above movements I would persist with the rest of the list although I’m uncertain on Cumberland until he gets hopefully some AFL games . If he doesn’t then he’s in the delist bin.

Last edited:

We are in for a world of pain. Warned you all. For a few years now. You all wanted to go "all in" to maybe win one more & we never even got close.

The best first rounder we have taken since our first flag was Higgins and he left.

The current list of players 26 and younger might be the worst combined group of players in that age bracket we have had in my life time. Certainly worse than anything we had in the 90's, i was >10 in the 80's so I thought maybe then i would find something worse. Nope. 1988 we had Pickering brothers, Egan, Poole, Knights, Free, Lambert, Leys, Hogg, Benny Gale, Nicholls, Bower, Goodwin

Let that sink in for a moment. We might be looking at the worst crop 26 or younger in 40 years.

We are in for a world of pain. Warned you all. For a few years now. You all wanted to go "all in" to maybe win one more & we never even got close.

The best first rounder we have taken since our first flag was Higgins and he left.

The current list of players 26 and younger might be the worst combined group of players in that age bracket we have had in my life time. Certainly worse than anything we had in the 90's, i was >10 in the 80's so I thought maybe then i would find something worse. Nope. 1988 we had Pickering brothers, Egan, Poole, Knights, Free, Lambert, Leys, Hogg, Benny Gale, Nicholls, Bower, Goodwin

Let that sink in for a moment. We might be looking at the worst crop 26 or younger in 40 years.
This is my worry and keeping guys like DRioli, Baker, Balta, Bolton and whatever good young kids maybe difficult now as we are basically a version of North Melbourne. This is the frightening bit we are faced with.

Lol here come the chicken little posters to tell us the sky is falling.

They may not have noticed we have our 3 best inside mids, 2 best key forwards, and best young player unavailable at the moment, and this has been the case throughout most of this season. We also have a new coach with players needing to absorb changes to the way the team functions, whilst playing with a whole lot of unfamiliar team-mates occupying key areas of the ground, and these unfamiliar structures have themselves been necessarily changing week to week due to unavailabilities. And on top of this these guys have to deal with the most septic umpiring of any playing group in the competition, by miles. Then add in the tricky draw to this point. We have played the most players of any club, and have the fewest players who have played every game.

We are playing for draft picks. We should get access to someone half decent in the MSD plus at least one decent project player. Then we are likely to own some pretty lofty picks in the National Draft, like 3-10-14 or something along those lines. And other possible small benefits like early picks in the rookie and possibly pre-season drafts.

Next year we will have the benefit of an injection of fresh top end talent, plus potentially Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Taranto, Hopper to add size and structure to our team. We should have an easier draw, and the benefit of a whole year under the same coaching structure. Plus Lukey Meehan will be even better at his job than he is now. And we will have discovered 4-5 of our younger and newer players can stand up to AFL football.

TigerImposter & RJK Tiger you fools are looking at a freshly fertilised garden and saying lets get rid of the fertiliser because it doesn't look or smell great. While the smart people such as yours truly can see the growth that is coming. :)

Lol here come the chicken little posters to tell us the sky is falling.

They may not have noticed we have our 3 best inside mids, 2 best key forwards, and best young player unavailable at the moment, and this has been the case throughout most of this season. We also have a new coach with players needing to absorb changes to the way the team functions, whilst playing with a whole lot of unfamiliar team-mates occupying key areas of the ground, and these unfamiliar structures have themselves been necessarily changing week to week due to unavailabilities. And on top of this these guys have to deal with the most septic umpiring of any playing group in the competition, by miles. Then add in the tricky draw to this point. We have played the most players of any club, and have the fewest players who have played every game.

We are playing for draft picks. We should get access to someone half decent in the MSD plus at least one decent project player. Then we are likely to own some pretty lofty picks in the National Draft, like 3-10-14 or something along those lines. And other possible small benefits like early picks in the rookie and possibly pre-season drafts.

Next year we will have the benefit of an injection of fresh top end talent, plus potentially Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Taranto, Hopper to add size and structure to our team. We should have an easier draw, and the benefit of a whole year under the same coaching structure. Plus Lukey Meehan will be even better at his job than he is now. And we will have discovered 4-5 of our younger and newer players can stand up to AFL football.

TigerImposter & RJK Tiger you fools are looking at a freshly fertilised garden and saying lets get rid of the fertiliser because it doesn't look or smell great. While the smart people such as yours truly can see the growth that is coming. :)
Three best inside mids. Haha we were losing games with them in last year and one of those forwards. Lynch is no certainty to be a reliable start anymore nor Gibcus as we don’t know how they’ll come back. You’re dreaming

Three best inside mids. Haha we were losing games with them in last year and one of those forwards. Lynch is no certainty to be a reliable start anymore nor Gibcus as we don’t know how they’ll come back. You’re dreaming
Wasn’t it a coaching issue last year?
You were one of the most vocal saying as such

So was last year a personal issue or coach issue?

Sounds like you are having a bob each way TI

Wasn’t it a coaching issue last year?
You were one of the most vocal saying as such

So was last year a personal issue or coach issue?

Sounds like you are having a bob each way TI
I was critical with both last year . With the coach it was bc he was playing the major culprits, but the personnel has unfortunately not lived up to expectations . The coach is doing the same this year with these culprits. I’m not expecting to win many games and as I said during the week is the only thing we can gain by this year is by playing all our kids and seeing who can cut it. There is no point in playing Naismith and Kosi and they were terrible additions that didn’t help our cause one iota. Then Pickett Kmac Grimes and JGTI are still getting games if available which I moaned about all last year. So I was having issues with both camps as you’ve stated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was critical with both last year . With the coach it was bc he was playing the major culprits, but the personnel has unfortunately not lived up to expectations . The coach is doing the same this year with these culprits. I’m not expecting to win many games and as I said during the week is the only thing we can this year is by playing all our kids and seeing who can cut it. There is no point in playing Naismith and Kosi and they were terrible additions that didn’t help our cause one iota. Then Pickett Kmac Grimes and JGTI are still getting games if available which I moaned about all last year. So I was having issues with both camps as you’ve stated.
Why include Kozi when he is only 23? If you look at a player like Waterman Kozi has probably shown more by the same point so wouldn’t you include him in that young group?

Why include Kozi when he is only 23? If you look at a player like Waterman Kozi has probably shown more by the same point so wouldn’t you include him in that young group?
Bc he’s on our list that’s why? Age is not the cure of poor ability. He’s not AFL standard and that’s why he can’t get a game even with all our injuries.

Bc he’s on our list that’s why? Age is not the cure of poor ability. He’s not AFL standard and that’s why he can’t get a game even with all our injuries.
But you just said we should be playing all of our kids to see who can cut it?
With Kozi being 23 shouldn’t he be given that same opportunity?

Grimes - Retire / nudge into retirement
Prestia - persits, don't trust his body but need some experience
Martin - persist/retire/he may leave via FA. All totally his choice. If he stays on with us obviously it must be at a far reduced contract amount.
Ross - persist
Baker - persist / trade for best offer to WA if he wants to go home
Rioli x 2 - persist, would listen to offers for Dan Rioli, only trade for WAY overs given his contract
Ralphsmith - persist, but it's borderline for me, needs a decent second half of year and to hold a spot in the 22
Short - persist, but also open to trade offers
Naismith - persist/delist, happy to replace him with another freebie/cheap mature age ruck
Coulthard - persist
Kositschke - persist. Only because our list management was appauling in offering him a 3 year deal.
Dow - delist. I think he's had his shot and I just don't think he will ever become anything more than a team's worst midfielder and whipping boy. Maybe I'm wrong but how long do you give him?
Mansell - persist, one more year.
Ryan - persist
Mcintosh - delist/trade for best offer
Graham - trade/FA
Broad - persist, one more year and keeps some backline experience
Cumberland - delist, unless he can force his way in this season. It's now or never given how bad we are. Always liked him but if he can't cement a spot this year, he never will.
Colina - delist. What on earth are we hoping he becomes?
Bauer - persist, hasn't had a run at it, give him one more year given he showed promise.
Hayes-Brown - persist, not hopeful but needs another year to assess
Green/Smith - persist, they'll debut soon and we give them another year.
Pickett - delist. Should have been delisted end of last year TBH

Most of the others are in the keep/obvious calls

Just looking at the state of our list atm questions need to be asked whether it’s a s**t list and if so who’s on the above hit lists?
We need to start operating as a business now and not like a 1980s football club and start making smart business strategies to take our club out of this current mire. This is why Geelong are successful as they don’t hold any love for anyone whilst they’re playing and if they’re not performing they move them on . Look at Ratogolea he’s a total spud and they moved him on , yet when we had a chance to move JGTI on we kept him for three extra years only to see him now looking like a total depreciation in what we could’ve got three years ago. We hang onto players for too long expecting them to turn into superstars and we basically are now paying the price for our poor drafting and trades.

The problem barring injuries is draftees are generally undersized and taking longer to develop, but some still look U16 size after three preseasons or so.
Trades or mature players introduced were terrible
Tall forwards mostly injured
Rucks look all terrible including our captain as he lacks discipline and often gets into players way no matter where he’s on the ground.
Backline is ok , but with a slow, undersized and under skilled midfield and getting belted in every area of this position the backline is left under pressure too often.

So who do we delist, trade assist and persist with so we can move faster into winning our 14th flag?

DELIST and RETIREES for me are :

Colina
Banks too light , no real vertical leap, average overhead and not that quick.
Dow too small and light and slow for his size plus all of the above.
KMAC retire off
Pickett retire off
Grimes retire off
Prestia retire off
Kosi delist even if we have to pay him out as our salary cap will be ok next season with all the old guys retiring . Unfortunately having guys like Kosi and Naismith on your list it tells the other clubs that we’re not a serious football club and an unprofessional one. They then go that extra harder at us to dig the boots in. Known as ,” We are everybody’s Grand Final”.
Naismith goes as just mentioned above.
Dusty as we can’t keep rolling him out on big coin with his low DE and poor defensive work. Does some great things still , but he’s too slow now and his opponents are taking advantage of this.

TRADE:
Short before he loses value like JGTI as he’s become a squib, turnover merchant and liability. Offers little to no run out of the BL
JGTI My worry with him will be if he has any serious takers and there’s some noise about, but with his constant injuries he could depreciate further.
Baker looks gone and we must get him traded as I don’t see him as being that much of an asset in terms of A grade material, but he could bring in one with a low first round pick.

Watching today we can’t trade Dan Rioli as we have no quality HBF even though we have a stockpile of them on the list . Rioli is the only guy I trust running the ball out of the BL of the smaller brigade as he’s clean , fast and street smart.

With all of the above movements I would persist with the rest of the list although I’m uncertain on Cumberland until he gets hopefully some AFL games . If he doesn’t then he’s in the delist bin.

Considering it could be a good year to consolidate picks to move up the draft order, some of the above, although I agree should go, we may not have the picks available, and some won't have any trade value.
Unless we take two picks for Baker (and one for Dusty :( 😲)

But you just said we should be playing all of our kids to see who can cut it?
With Kozi being 23 shouldn’t he be given that same opportunity?
He’s not a kid and the coaches have woken up he can’t cut it. . Your theory states we should’ve kept Lennon , McBean, Hughes , Griffen etc etc as they would’ve eventually made it. Life doesn’t work like that , especially well oiled businesses.

Considering it could be a good year to consolidate picks to move up the draft order, some of the above, although I agree should go, we may not have the picks available, and some won't have any trade value.
Unless we take two picks for Baker (and one for Dusty :( 😲)
I’ve been told by numerous posters here we will get nothing for Dusty in which I don’t agree with as I still think he’s worth something. Hopefully Baker does give us two picks.

Thanks to juss for the template;
Grimes - Retire/No contract offer
Prestia - Trade/Retire/No contract offer
Martin - Retire
Ross - Offer new contract or open to trade offers
Baker - Must trade (key to building a very strong draft hand)
D. Rioli - Trade (if wants to leave) or hold to contract otherwise
MRJ - Offer new contract
Ralphsmith - Offer new contract. Seen signs
Short - Trade
Naismith - One more year - solid depth
Coulthard - Offer multi year contract
Koschitzke - Contracted - Depth
Dow - Offer new contract
Mansell - Offer single year contract (needs to work on consistency)
Ryan - Offer one year extension (need to see serious development asap)
Mcintosh - Trade/Delist
Graham - Free Agency (I'll help him pack)
Broad - Contracted until end of 2025
Cumberland - Delist if doesn't play any AFL footy this year
Colina - Delist
Bauer - Offer new contract
Hayes-Brown - Don't care
Green - Offer new contract (needs AFL exposure)
Smith - Offer multi year deal
Pickett - Delist/Retire
Clark - Contract expires end of 2025 - Extend for multiple years
Sonsie - Contract expires end of 2025 - Extend for multiple years
Brown - Contract expires end of 2025 - Extend for multiple years
Banks - Contract expires end of 2025 - Monitor performance
Trezise - Offer multi year deal
Campbell - Offer multi year deal
Lefau - Offer multi year deal
Miller - Offer multi year deal
Young - Offer new contract (monitor performance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back