SA20 2024 Season (10 Jan-10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Qualifier 1 from Cape Town. Interesting to note Agar came all the way from Australia to warm up the bench:

Teams:

Durban Super Giants
(Playing XI): Matthew Breetzke, Tony de Zorzi, Quinton de Kock(w), Heinrich Klaasen, JJ Smuts, Dwaine Pretorius, Wiaan Mulder, Keshav Maharaj(c), Reece Topley, Junior Dala, Naveen-ul-Haq

Sunrisers Eastern Cape (Playing XI): Jordan Hermann, Dawid Malan, Tom Abell, Aiden Markram(c), Tristan Stubbs(w), Patrick Kruger, Liam Dawson, Marco Jansen, Simon Harmer, Ottniel Baartman, Daniel Worrall

Sunrisers Eastern Cape have won the toss and have opted to bat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't mind the first bit of this tournament but due to how compromised the test series in New Zealand is, I'm not watching the finals. The ICC are culpable - they need to make test cricket viable in more than just 3 countries and it should have been done years ago. The owners of these franchises are also culpable for the farcical test series in New Zealand right now. Out of the goodness of their hearts, these owners could have allowed Cricket South Africa to hand pick 2 players from each franchise to be selected to join Neil Brand, Keegan Petersen and Duane Olivier in New Zealand. This would not have destroyed the SA20 tournament for this year and it would have only been a one-off. Sadly, thinking of what's good for the purest form of cricket is beyond these self centred individuals. Instead, it's all about a form of cricket that while it can be exciting, is quickly forgotten about and barely memorable.

There is talk that some of the players I heard that the players eliminated from the SA20 (Pretoria and MI Cape Town) will be flown over for the 2nd Test against New Zealand.

Whats clear to be , is South Africa could put up 2 very good T20 sides or international calibre sides from what I have seen in this tournament.

There is talk that some of the players I heard that the players eliminated from the SA20 (Pretoria and MI Cape Town) will be flown over for the 2nd Test against New Zealand.

Whats clear to be , is South Africa could put up 2 very good T20 sides or international calibre sides from what I have seen in this tournament.

I hope you're right. As for the 2nd point, South Africa's ability/inability to handle the pressure at the crunch stage of ICC events is the only thing stopping them winning this year's World T20. They have the firepower with the bat and ball.

So should the rest of South Africa's top players.
I understand why they were not sent to NZ to play. CSA are using the SA20 to play determine the T20WC squad.
The CSA T20 starts on the Challenge starts on the 9th of March, but the International quality and standard will not be there. And all the main contenders for the T20WC will be in India for the IPL starting on the 23rd of March

The Eliminator at the Wanderers:

Toss Joburg Super Kings opt to chase.

Joburg Super Kings: Faf du Plessis (capt), Leus du Plooy, Reeza Hendricks, Sibonelo Makhanya, Moeen Ali, Donovan Ferreira (wk), Doug Bracewell, Dayyaan Galiem, Sam Cook, Nandre Burger, Imran Tahir

Paarl Royals: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler (wk), Mitchell Van Buuren, David Miller (capt), Dane Vilas, Wihan Lubbe, Andile Phehlukwayo, Bjorn Fortuin, Codi Yusuf, Obed McCoy, Tabraiz Shamsi

Remove this Banner Ad

SA20 2024 Season (10 Jan-10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back