Roast Sack Horse

Sack Longmire tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 68 63.6%
  • monday

Votes: 39 36.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We got lucky that a succession plan from Roos-Longmire actually worked, because not many do. It's highly unlikely that we have the same luck if the Longmire-Cox succession plan happens.

Need a couple of young assistant coaches who have the desire to make a real difference and haven't been associated with the club at all. It's been the same voices for years in the coaches box.

We got lucky that a succession plan from Roos-Longmire actually worked, because not many do. It's highly unlikely that we have the same luck if the Longmire-Cox succession plan happens.

Need a couple of young assistant coaches who have the desire to make a real difference and haven't been associated with the club at all. It's been the same voices for years in the coaches box.
Sloane for a start.
Mike Sheahan who's a fan of Horse just said on SEN that Horse probably should stand aside for his and the clubs good .

Which part is rubbish? It's 4 poor performances in 14 years. Sure, 3 of them were horrific and inexcusable on the day but to extrapolate them out to fundamental issues with the coaching which has otherwise seen us set the benchmark, win finals and minor premierships for much of the past decade is nonsense.

Just his year Horse coached the team who set the competition on fire for 3 months, extracted one of the best individual seasons from a player you'll ever see, gave us some exhilarating moments like the Geelong and GWS comebacks, and won 2 finals including overturning a 112 demolition against the #2 side in the comp. I had a pretty bloody good time supporting that side this year.

If you think that what he and the club has achieved outside of flags is "meaningless" because a whole 7 teams have won flags since we did, then why follow the club just tune in on grand final day to determine whether the year has been a success or not.
Everyone was getting pretty miffed when the footy pundits on Fox, etc were saying that they loved how we were playing but they doubted the game style would hold up at the pointy end. I think it showed that we as supporters were all swept away by the Hollywood style we played and had ceased to be objective. Think what you want of the pundits or their motives but they weren't 'hating' the Swans, they were right. It is the game plan. It will get us to the finals but isn't robust enough to take the final hurdle.

Unfortunately, I can't see how we can change. If we keep Horse then we will have more of the same, and I can't help but think that Cox will be Horse-lite. We seem to have committed to Cox as Horse's successor but I really hope they are rethinking that, even though it wouldn't be fair to Cox as he probably turned down the WCE job on a promise. I also can't see anyone else who is out there to replace Horse. People talking about Roos are kidding themselves as the game has moved on since then.

Ideally, we should surround Horse with the best assistant coaches from around the country, however nobody wants to move to Sydney's expensive lifestyle as an assistant coach, which is why we have who we have. Aside from Cox, they are all connected to Sydney or living here anyway - even down to Leon Cameron.
I think we may be stuck now with a golden generation who will burn out without having tasted ultimate success, and I will place that firmly at the hooves of Horse.

Last edited:

I honestly don’t see how Horse can survive this beyond 2025. I’m sure mentally and emotionally his resilience has taken a huge hit on the weekend. Bet hearing the Lions song in the rooms nearby during his press conference was the icing on the cake.

I honestly don’t see how Horse can survive this beyond 2025. I’m sure mentally and emotionally his resilience has taken a huge hit on the weekend. Bet hearing the Lions song in the rooms nearby during his press conference was the icing on the cake.

I don’t see how he survives beyond 2024

Unfortunately I don’t think our club has the spine to make the call that needs to be made, and he isn’t going to walk away from his lucrative contract

Agreed so y wait
The percentages of us doing any good this yr are very low anyways so bite the bullet and make change now………..the saying no point flogging a dead horse has never rang truer

Agreed so y wait
The percentages of us doing any good this yr are very low anyways so bite the bullet and make change now………..the saying no point flogging a dead horse has never rang truer
Pun intended

As a fan, watching that press conference with the Lions going ballistic celebrating and Horse visibly irate. Was almost poetic justice for me.

Those are things the club needs to go through to really drive the point home that they failed themselves. The Lions earned the right to celebrate.

Don't get mad at the situation you had the ability to change. Sit and absorb the pain and figure out a way to use it as motivation.

Teams tend to reflect the personality of their coaches.
Horse seems to be a nice bloke.
Compare Clarko, Dimma and Chris Scott. As players they all had a bit of mongrel in them, and their teams reflected that.
That is what we lack.
It is the mongrel that pushes the players not to give an inch, but to put body on body and bury the opposition player.
It is the mongrel that pushes the extra few metres for the spoil.
It is the mongrel that says "I will not be beaten".

Horse needs to embrace the mongrel or piss off.

Teams tend to reflect the personality of their coaches.
Horse seems to be a nice bloke.
Compare Clarko, Dimma and Chris Scott. As players they all had a bit of mongrel in them, and their teams reflected that.
That is what we lack.
It is the mongrel that pushes the players not to give an inch, but to put body on body and bury the opposition player.
It is the mongrel that pushes the extra few metres for the spoil.
It is the mongrel that says "I will not be beaten".

Horse needs to embrace the mongrel or piss off.

The reality is that we don't want to win.

Winning is the cherry on top.

One is not simply defined by whether they win or lose a grand final. Or whether they capitulate in said grand final.

Really?

I would say that Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon are absolutely defined by their respective grand final records

AC is seen as a master coach whereas RL isn’t viewed nearly as favourably

Really?

I would say that Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon are absolutely defined by their respective grand final records

AC is seen as a master coach whereas RL isn’t viewed nearly as favourably

We're commenting on Robbie Fox saying that winning wasn't important and would just be the cherry on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year more than any I can recall, I felt like Horse didn't get things right structurally with the team. There were just such glaring areas of vulnerability that Horse didn't seem willing to fix because he was too attached to certain players or structures. I remember in 2022, the fact we had this incredibly inconsistent, uneven season for most of the year I think forced Horse to get flexible and try every option until we settled on our best possible team and structure. That's how we ended up with guys like Reid, Stephens, Fox & Clarke being locks in the 22 by year's end, when the idea of them being in the 22 at the start of the year might've seemed unfathomable.

Whereas this year I feel like that dominant 13-1 start lured Horse into a certain level of comfort with the team and the structures. That dynamic was winning him games so he was determined to stick to it at all costs, even though it was a dynamic clearly lacking in areas that were going to be needed to win a grand final - like hardness in the midfield and ground level pressure in the forward line.

I find it interesting that West Coast when looking for a new coach, with unlimited financial resources, didn’t bother approaching Longmire who only has one year left on his contract

This is despite their CEO Don Pyle spending a number of years with him in the coaches box

I think that probably says a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Horse

Back