Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hird refused offer to save colleagues

Date
August 15, 2013 - 6:06PM

Caroline Wilson

Chief Football Writer for The Age

Essendon's threat to take on the AFL Commission in an open court is "terrifying for the competition", reports chief football writer Caroline Wilson.

Essendon coach James Hird refused an AFL offer to plead guilty alone to misconduct charges which would have spared club doctor Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson and Danny Corcoran from facing the commission.
With Hird and his club now openly at war with the competition's governing body, it is understood that the AFL expected on Monday that Hird would be the only individual still at the club to face charges emanating from the 2011-12 drugs program.
The negotiation was to have seen Reid and Corcoran resign from Essendon at the end of the season. Instead both men, along with senior assistant Thompson, chose to stand alongside Hird and fight the misconduct charges.
Essendon and Hird were to have been charged on Monday but legal wrangling stalled the announcement until 7.30 pm Tuesday, with the Bombers seething at what they regarded as divisive tactics by the AFL designed to drive a wedge between Hird and his three long-time colleagues.
Thompson, like Hird an Essendon premiership captain who coached Geelong to two flags, has also vowed to erase any lingering stain on his name. He is regarded as less culpable than Hird but has also chosen to fight the misconduct charges laid against him.
Hird said on Wednesday: "The four of us are probably identified as (part of) the blackest day in Australian sport now, so we take that very seriously.
"I'm pretty shattered really – shattered to be charged for bringing the game into disrepute that I love and cherish and respect so much. I think we have a look at our options, we're obviously going to defend ourselves vigorously.
"We've got to contend the charges, we've got to make sure we're proven not guilty, and we'll go from there."
Essendon regards the loss of premiership points as a massive hurdle in any successful negotiation with the AFL. No club in the history of the competition has been stripped of points and the Bombers appear determined to avoid that damaging stigma.
Neither party on Thursday ruled out the possibility of the dispute going to court, or Essendon taking out a legal injunction and refusing to face the commission on August 26.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hird-refused-offer-to-save-colleagues-20130815-2rzay.html#ixzz2c1ZeI1EJ

Shhhh Carro, no more tears, only dreams now

Don't know how it will take years in court

Our lawyers: so Asada doesn't have enough evidence of any banned substances for any sanctions to be made
Vlad: but but they brought the game into disrepute
Our lawyers:??
Vlad: yea they almost took banned substances.. Oh gawd where's my maccas

Lawyers: How's about we offer you an El Maco and we drop the charges?

Oh My God, now they are telling Hird to resign by Tuesday and they'll set the others free.

How ****ing desperate are they?

ps: great work on over the last few pages. I'm only new but if this is the standard you guys usually put up, I'm in:)

Oh My God, now they are telling Hird to resign by Tuesday and they'll set the others free.

How ******* desperate are they?

Fits in with the whole "Hird caused the holocaust" agenda though

Sounds like hird didn't fall for the afl scare tactics, makes the afl look like dicks more than hird

Agreed, makes Vlad and co. look very amateurish. Plea bargaining for the outcome they want should be seen as dereliction of their duty. The fact they were willing to spare some to get Hird shows they don't intend on policing this correctly, just appeasing the masses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird refused offer to save colleagues

Date
August 15, 2013 - 6:06PM

Caroline Wilson

Chief Football Writer for The Age

Essendon's threat to take on the AFL Commission in an open court is "terrifying for the competition", reports chief football writer Caroline Wilson.

Essendon coach James Hird refused an AFL offer to plead guilty alone to misconduct charges which would have spared club doctor Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson and Danny Corcoran from facing the commission.
With Hird and his club now openly at war with the competition's governing body, it is understood that the AFL expected on Monday that Hird would be the only individual still at the club to face charges emanating from the 2011-12 drugs program.
The negotiation was to have seen Reid and Corcoran resign from Essendon at the end of the season. Instead both men, along with senior assistant Thompson, chose to stand alongside Hird and fight the misconduct charges.
Essendon and Hird were to have been charged on Monday but legal wrangling stalled the announcement until 7.30 pm Tuesday, with the Bombers seething at what they regarded as divisive tactics by the AFL designed to drive a wedge between Hird and his three long-time colleagues.
Thompson, like Hird an Essendon premiership captain who coached Geelong to two flags, has also vowed to erase any lingering stain on his name. He is regarded as less culpable than Hird but has also chosen to fight the misconduct charges laid against him.
Hird said on Wednesday: "The four of us are probably identified as (part of) the blackest day in Australian sport now, so we take that very seriously.
"I'm pretty shattered really – shattered to be charged for bringing the game into disrepute that I love and cherish and respect so much. I think we have a look at our options, we're obviously going to defend ourselves vigorously.
"We've got to contend the charges, we've got to make sure we're proven not guilty, and we'll go from there."
Essendon regards the loss of premiership points as a massive hurdle in any successful negotiation with the AFL. No club in the history of the competition has been stripped of points and the Bombers appear determined to avoid that damaging stigma.
Neither party on Thursday ruled out the possibility of the dispute going to court, or Essendon taking out a legal injunction and refusing to face the commission on August 26.
So if this tripe is to be believed, then you could easily conclude the charges against Thompson, Reid and Corcoran are based on nothing other than punishment for Hird not falling into line.

Caroline, I hope Hird and Thompson are successful in removing "any lingering stain" on their names because then you would no longer exist.

How ******* desperate are they?

I thought the Salem witch trials finished back in the 1600s.

It is absolutely unbelievable if Corcoran, Thompson and Reid's charges are based on hird accepting his or not. THEY EITHER HAVE A CASE TO ANSWER OR DON'T. I don't know whether to believe Caroline on this. If it's true (which we don't know for sure), it's farking insane to not base charges AND pursue on their merits alone. If AFL think those three blokes have conducted themselves in an unbecoming way, they should pursue the charges irrespective of Hird's position.

So if this tripe is to be believed, then you could easily conclude the charges against Thompson, Reid and Corcoran are based on nothing other than punishment for Hird not falling into line.

Caroline, I hope Hird and Thompson are successful in removing "any lingering stain" on their names because then you would no longer exist.

How's the title of that article any reflection of what the article actually states?

Hird refused offer to save colleagues =/= Hird's colleagues stand by him despite offer to get off at Hird's expense

That kind of deal would be like blackmailing Hird

Andrew Bolt

AUGUST152013(5:19pm)​

Caroline Wilson, who has seemed well briefed by the AFL during the Essendon controversy,makes a staggering claim:

Had [coach James] Hird been prepared to plead guilty to having allowed the administering of banned and potentially harmful drugs to his players there is every chance that Essendon’s doctor of more than three decades, Bruce Reid, may have been spared. Ditto Danny Corcoran and Mark Thompson.

Pardon?
Is Wilson suggesting the AFL charged the three other officials not because it considers them guilty but because it wanted to put more pressure on Hird to give in?
This is bizarre. Either the men are believed guilty of something, and thus should face charges, or they are believed innocent and should not be charged at all. Anything else would be a monstrous abuse of power, and quite possibly blackmail.
I very much hope that Wilson’s speculation is just something she dreamed up herself. If it is in fact inspired by an AFL briefing it is a scandal. and further evidence that this whole case against Essendon is baseless.​

Agreed, makes Vlad and co. look very amateurish. Plea bargaining for the outcome they want should be seen as dereliction of their duty. The fact they were willing to spare some to get Hird shows they don't intend on policing this correctly, just appeasing the masses.

If lawyers like Julian Burnside and Jack Rush sat in on this they would have walked out shaking their heads going this competition is a joke. Most amateur negotiations ever seen.

Since Evans is not with us anymore, why is he not being charged? after all Robinson is being charged and he is no longer with us either..

Same applies to Robson.

The fact we are so adament in bringing this out to the open will see the AFL fall to there knees and the power of the Essendon Football Club will rise to the fore and become the most powerful club in Australia.

That kind of deal would be like blackmailing Hird

0 Comments | Permalink

Andrew Bolt

AUGUST152013(5:19pm)

Caroline Wilson, who has seemed well briefed by the AFL during the Essendon controversy,makes a staggering claim:

Had [coach James] Hird been prepared to plead guilty to having allowed the administering of banned and potentially harmful drugs to his players there is every chance that Essendon’s doctor of more than three decades, Bruce Reid, may have been spared. Ditto Danny Corcoran and Mark Thompson.

Pardon?
Is Wilson suggesting the AFL charged the three other officials not because it considers them guilty but because it wanted to put more pressure on Hird to give in?
This is bizarre. Either the men are believed guilty of something, and thus should face charges, or they are believed innocent and should not be charged at all. Anything else would be a monstrous abuse of power, and quite possibly blackmail.
I very much hope that Wilson’s speculation is just something she dreamed up herself. If it is in fact inspired by an AFL briefing it is a scandal. and further evidence that this whole case against Essendon is baseless.

****ing BANG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back