Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I, as someone who knows nothing about the skills required to play AFL, liked the guy. I liked the way he went about things and put his body on the line, but Saturday night the fumbling really stood out, there was one passage of play where we were on a run forward and he missed picking up a simple ball resulting in Port holding up play or rebounding.

Was this just a really really bad game? Can it be coached out?

I, as someone who knows nothing about the skills required to play AFL, liked the guy. I liked the way he went about things and put his body on the line, but Saturday night the fumbling really stood out, there was one passage of play where we were on a run forward and he missed picking up a simple ball resulting in Port holding up play or rebounding.

It was a pressure cooker on Saturday night

I noticed it to Dani, I think we trade him as there are too many glaring holes in his game.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, it’s been a feature of his game for the past few weeks at least

I noticed it to Dani, I think we trade him as there are too many glaring holes in his game.
A few weeks ago I was leaning towards keep but he's been mega disappointing since. His fumbles have been spoken about at length and it's all been said. But on the rare occasion that he actually takes possession of the ball, his first instinct is always a fend off, which he's also hopeless at.

If someone is willing to pay something for him, then start the car for sure.

His role is very easily replaced and upgraded and he isn’t strong enough in his strengths to persevere with IMO.

Trade if we can and move on we have enough limited midfield players already.

I find it strange we are putting time into him in the middle given his obvious limitations. While he is a ball magnet he butchers it worse than Laird. If the club were competent maybe they are having one last look at him before making a decision on his future, but I am probably giving them too much credit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it strange we are putting time into him in the middle given his obvious limitations. While he is a ball magnet he butchers it worse than Laird. If the club were competent maybe they are having one last look at him before making a decision on his future, but I am probably giving them too much credit.
Except he isn't a ball magnet.

Except he isn't a ball magnet.

He ends up in the vicinity of the ball a whole lot. He just doesn't turn that into possessions.

I've been a fan for a while, and he does have a couple of weapons, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that his deficiencies aren't going away. We can either set up our side to cover his deficiencies, or just try to find someone without them.

He's a handy depth player, if nothing else.

It’s a shame about his ball handling because he cares and one of the only ones to go up and give Houston a serve after the incident.

I don’t reckon you can criticise our players for not caring on the weekend.

We basically lost because we cared too much. We lost the plot and clearly didn’t know how to channel our anger in the right direction.

And plenty of players got into Houston so I’m not sure what you’re implying there.

I don’t reckon you can criticise our players for not caring on the weekend.

We basically lost because we cared too much. We lost the plot and clearly didn’t know how to channel our anger in the right direction.

And plenty of players got into Houston so I’m not sure what you’re implying there.

Agreed, it's the one aspect I have seen visibly change with our team in the last 5-6 years. We do now have some players who have passion and anger and you could see most of the team was trying to rip Houstons head off after it happened.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1641273...kbZnkLLRGHCB171FPA_aem_YSHgm9Kvw4pyLraKGYLqVw

Adelaide has secured exciting young midfielder Sam Berry for a further two years.

Berry has played 57 AFL games since being drafted by the Crows in 2020, and emerged as a tough, inside midfielder with a strong appetite for the contest.

The 22-year-old’s contract extension will ensure he remains at West Lakes until at least the end of 2026.

“We love what Sam brings and are really pleased with his progression since being drafted,” Crows GM List Management and Strategy Justin Reid said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back