Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Are you sure this hasn’t been done ?
It takes more than a few days for a murder - sometimes months. And then the DPP may take months to review it. I would be staggered if there is anything resembling a brief of evidence in existence today. There would be a few recordings of interviews - probably not even transcribed yet. The first court date has been set for August, which will be a mention, and possibly a plea will be entered. That's if it isn't deferred due to court backlogs, or either side requesting an extension of time. The actual hearing will be months after the mention. During this time the brief of evidence will be prepared, and by law will be made available to the defence in time for them to prepare their case.

When was the last time? Sometimes they arrest someone “on suspicion”, then have to let them go when the evidence doesn’t stack up. But they seem quite certain of this one.

The bloke isn’t protesting his innocence, via his lawyer, who would be fronting the press saying “My client will be contesting this charge strongly, he has done nothing wrong.”

He’s saying nothing. So far.
FREQUENTLY:

in Victoria, as in many other jurisdictions, it is common for more charges to be filed than are ultimately prosecuted or result in a guilty plea.[469] Frequently, Victoria Police or the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) withdraws or downgrades charges during negotiations with the defence or as a result of its own case review.[470]

Someone please DM this man

dm GIF
and a microwave meal!

If he was a regular user, did it impact his job ? ( I’d be concerned of the safety aspects of a cocaine user doing my electrical work
Yeah I hate to break it to you - I’m an electrician, and while I don’t do coke, probably 90% of the electricians I know do occasionally.
In fact so many tradies in general do.

FREQUENTLY:

in Victoria, as in many other jurisdictions, it is common for more charges to be filed than are ultimately prosecuted or result in a guilty plea.[469] Frequently, Victoria Police or the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) withdraws or downgrades charges during negotiations with the defence or as a result of its own case review.[470]
"Charges filed against an accused person must be evidence-based.

They have evidence.

It really could just be as simple as old mate is an absolute deviant and had a thing for older women.

Eg hes on way home from bender driving the back roads, probably taken coke laced with meth or both individually. Sees the “milf from the uniform shop” in excercise gear. Rest is history.

Sometimes the simplest explanations are drowned out by people watching too many crime docos.
I suspect any female runner could have been the victim that day. It just happened to be Samantha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time? Sometimes they arrest someone “on suspicion”, then have to let them go when the evidence doesn’t stack up. But they seem quite certain of this one.

The bloke isn’t protesting his innocence, via his lawyer, who would be fronting the press saying “My client will be contesting this charge strongly, he has done nothing wrong.”

He’s saying nothing. So far.

I’ve got an annoying niggle about whether lawyer is still representing him

Yeah I hate to break it to you - I’m an electrician, and while I don’t do coke, probably 90% of the electricians I know do occasionally.
In fact so many tradies in general do.
Yep, that’s what I’m led to believe too. But it’s the ‘occasionally’ v regularly v addictedly that concerns me, and interests me re POS.
His lawyer said he had No mental health or Drug issues ??

Yep, that’s what I’m led to believe too. But it’s the ‘occasionally’ v regularly v addictedly that concerns me, and interests me re POS.
His lawyer said he had No mental health or Drug issues ??
Young people who do drugs with their friends socially, don't think they have 'drug issues'.

It's fairly normal behaviour, like having a drink with their mates. They wouldn't think they have a drinking problem either.

Young people who do drugs with their friends socially, don't think they have 'drug issues'.

It's fairly normal behaviour, like having a drink with their mates. They wouldn't think they have a drinking problem either.
There is a difference between being a regular recreational drug user, and being an out-of-control addict.

At this stage, I haven't seen evidence that the suspect was anything more than the former.

Wasn't he in regular full-time employment? No known criminal history? Stable residential situation? 'Normal' circle of family and friends? He was arrested in high-vis gear on his way to work.

There is a difference between being a regular recreational drug user, and being an out-of-control addict.

At this stage, I haven't seen evidence that the suspect was anything more than the former.

Wasn't he in regular full-time employment? No known criminal history? Stable residential situation? 'Normal' circle of family and friends? He was arrested in high-vis gear on his way to work.
Is it his fathers business?

I read that he was out with his girlfriend the night before. possibly got into an argument and he left in a rage and then saw SM to which he unleashed his anger and then disposed of body

Even if he does have a problem & it affects his behaviour contributing to him behaving aggressively, for example.. he likely wouldn't even have the self awareness or acknowledge it was due to drugs and tell his lawyer.

Not all drug abusers/addicts are homeless, unemployed loners, btw.

I suspect any female runner could have been the victim that day. It just happened to be Samantha.

Fair hypothesis, I am in agreeance that it really was wrong place wrong time but a deliberate and sexually motivated attack.

Even if he does have a problem & it affects his behaviour contributing to him behaving aggressively, for example.. he likely wouldn't even have the self awareness or acknowledge it was due to drugs and tell his lawyer.

Not all drug abusers/addicts are homeless, unemployed loners, btw.
Correct, many if not most, carry on normal lives. They are not psychotic deranged people committing random acts of unprovoked violence which is being suggested is the case in this scenario.

So you want to know all the evidence before you decide if it's legit?
That's not what I said or implied.
Read carefully:

The charge of murder itself is NOT evidence of anything. You are implying that it is.

We should assume nothing from the fact that he has been charged with murder.

There may or may not be evidence. We haven't seen any.

It is reasonable to assume there is some evidence, as police procedure dictates that charges be evidence based. We don't know what evidence they have, so we don't know how strong it is. And no, I don't feel entitled to or expect to see any evidence before they go to court.

But the murder charge is NOT evidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back