Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
The police have a couple of new investigative tools we're not allowed to know about yet. Some information we got through the Cleo Smith investigation but I'm not sure if that information was a bit of a red herring because they really don't want to tell us what it is. That information was software that can go back in time and plot movements by overlaying the data.

There's something like Israel's Pegasus spyware, software that can be installed remotely and which gives complete access to the target's phone or device, all of it, including text messages.

It wouldn't surprise me if they can listen in actually.
Police have been able to place people's phones on "full intercept" for many years. Once enabled they can see all traffic to and from the phone, including SMS texts, and can listen in to conversations. They need a warrant / court order for this.

They also have access to (limited) historical geodata (tower pings). This of course only works while the phone/device is switched on and connected to a tower. Connection to a cell tower places the device within a fixed radius of the tower. If a device pings two towers simultaneously, the relative signal strength may be used to more accurately locate the device - in this case along a straight line or in practice a narrow rectangular area. When you overlay this line on geophysical features such as roads and buildings, you can quickly come up with target search locations. If a device pings three or more towers simultaneously, it can be accurately geolocated within a few metres.

If police get physical access to a device they can download its detailed geolocation history while it has been turned on and location services enabled. Any devices which sync to the cloud also make this data available in the cloud (without access to the physical device), although access to the users personal account is required (can be hacked of course).

So, in short geodata is available as long as the device was turned on with location services active. They can't 'go back' and turn it on retrospectively.

Then there is also the possibility of spyware such as Pegasus mentioned by Kurve. This will basically give police access to everything on a person's phone (photos, apps, location history, etc), as well as the ability to monitor usage in real-time. The drawback of this is that it needs to somehow be installed on the device. The most sophisticated spyware can be installed surreptitiously without the user knowing (zero-click), but the most common way is to obtain the phone and physically install it. Other methods include sending a text message or similar which gets the user to click on a link. I believe some of the newest spyware can even be installed by voice call. There is Spyware which will install itself by first infecting a commonly used App such as the Camera, or WhatsApp. The limitation of spyware is although it can see everything on the phone AFTER it is installed, it cannot necessarily see things which have already been deleted from the phone, so again, it can't "go back" and show you where the phone was at a certain time unless that history still exists on the phone.

The most common technique used by police is to get physical possession of the users phone. They can then clone the entire phone, giving access to all accounts (Facebook, WhatsApp Messages, etc). Even the most basic of crooks will delete all their history fro their phones before handing them over, but the police will get access to their accounts and usually find automatically generated cloud-based backups of deleted WhatsApp, Facebook, ... messages etc. It's surprising how often people forget about these!

Maybe.
But if the message is true then it does explain why his parents weren’t at court last week.
I don’t blame them. If POS has done what the message suggests, I wouldn’t support him either. I have 3 kids and if one of them did that, you would just about disown them….
I have no clue what the text says, but I wouldn't be there supporting him for murder either.

Maybe.
But if the message is true then it does explain why his parents weren’t at court last week.
I don’t blame them. If POS has done what the message suggests, I wouldn’t support him either. I have 3 kids and if one of them did that, you would just about disown them….
Thats why i mentioned if he worked in the family business.

I
Her husband was smiling and laughing afger she went missing tho.

This means he's involved lol.

Some ppl express their emotions in front of others in different ways.

Was probably trying to stand strong in front of the camera so he wouldn't be all emotional.

He actually appears to be a nice man too. Just by his smiling alone. Never heard tbe guy talk.

I didn't think it was likely he was involved.

He appears like he's got an innocent soul.
d say the same about Patrick.. appears an innocent soul.

I have no clue what the text says, but I wouldn't be there supporting him for murder either.
You don't really know what you would do until it happens to you, no judgement either way, it would be traumatic for the parents, siblings and extended families as unfortunately, and wrongly, they always get dragged in.

Yes. What circumstances? The police have charged him with murder and he won't reveal where the body is.
That’s all we know though. It all comes down to what exactly has transpired. Which we don’t know.
Many suggesting he’s accidentally hit her, panicked and put her in the car ect.

Yes that is horrific on its own, and as a parent you would be so distraught that your child could do that.
But the message is next level. Real evil shit. That’s lock away and throw away the key territory.

Look at it this way a woman from the same area is dead , hes charged with murder, there's a very high chance hes been caught snorting cocaine on camera, maybe more than once. , and what other things the family might know and they have a business. Id stay away too.

You don't really know what you would do until it happens to you, no judgement either way, it would be traumatic for the parents, siblings and extended families as unfortunately, and wrongly, they always get dragged in.
I'm not judging them for not being there. I fully understand why they wouldn't.

Of course it's traumatic for both sides of the family. That pos has caused heartbreak for both families.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised he doesn't have people showing him support when he took another person's life.

Yeh I had something happen when I was away working remote and I suspected listening in. I suppose the question might be, is it recording and how and where might that information be stored?
That's a good question. The former head of the NSA assured me (at a breakfast, I don't know him) that the NSA doesn't record bulk internet traffic, which is not what has been widely accepted (not sure I believe him). Alphabet wouldn't really need to store the data for long for their purposes. Mic picks up a topic of interest, target advertising to user, job done. So Police can probably get hold of data from x date forwards, possibly not from before the requested date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s all we know though. It all comes down to what exactly has transpired. Which we don’t know.

Yes that is horrific on its own, and as a parent you would be so distraught that your child could do that.
But the message is next level. Real evil s**t. That’s lock away and throw away the key territory.
I'm sure his family know more about what's transpired than we've been told publicly. Text or no text.

If they thought for a minute it was an accident, they would have been there supporting him. Says a lot, imo.

I'm sure his family know more about what's transpired than we've been told publicly. Text or no text.

If they thought for a minute it was an accident, they would have been there supporting him. Says a lot, imo.
Agreed. Surely the cops have sat the parents down and explained exactly what they think has happened.

Hey Kurve, I’ve been trying to work out how old this published photo is. I wish I could find a recent one.
shorsky I couldn’t see anyone replying to this yet. The pic was one of several attached to a post on the clubs FB page celebrating Round 1 of the 2021 season. There were a few nasty comments aimed at the parents that appeared under it shortly after PS’s arrest, so it got removed fairly quickly. The rest of it is still up - the post is dated 21 Apr 2021.

Last edited:

But the message is next level. Real evil s**t. That’s lock away and throw away the key territory.
Please send me the message

Maybe.
Becoming media fodder wouldn’t help anyone.

Only way I could see that happening is if he agreed to give up the location of the body.

I hope the police hold firm as I think eventually he would give up the location due to the "no body, no parole" sentencing law. Only reason he wouldn't would be if he believed the police have a flimsy case OR that they discover that he has been hiding worse/additional crimes from examination/autopsy of the body such as torture/Sexual assault/mutilation etc.
Not sure that could be the only reasons though. I posted a few days ago that maybe he was so out of it that he doesn’t actually remember where he put her - and with no (reported) budging since, I think that could still be another viable possibility?

Yes. What circumstances? The police have charged him with murder and he won't reveal where the body is.

He's an adult. Were any of his friends, girlfriend there supporting him?

I'd be ashamed. Heartbroken. Disgusted.
Meaning, you would believe it. What would cause you to believe it of someone you love, or care for? Is it something you know about what happened?

but you are forgetting the fact that they only seized his car at or around the time of arrest, if it were the supposed murder weapon it would have been seized way before . They were watching him for two weeks before his arrest, they are not going to let a car sit there with DNA disappearing if it was of such significance. IMO

Well they didn’t know for sure if it was him… there are legal restraints ie. warrants.
They still waited two weeks to size the car, which may have evidence in it including DNA.
The police may have determined any evidence out side of the car would have been removed prior…
Again you are speculating….

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back