Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Being from Ballarat it's been completely amazing at the level of interest spanning not only the state, but nation and internationally! But this has galvanised the nuff nuffs, with an unending conga line of them appearing on the tv nightly as experts and 'friends' of Sam.
I didn't know her, but know the Murphy's, and also know 'of' the Stephensons. Ultimately Ballarat is an oversized country town where everyone knows someone, and everyone has a theory.
My theory in regards to the disposal is that he's used the Yarrawee River, south of Buninyong (further south of the 'tower' ping). There are so many options and if the Scotsburn timeline fits then it stands to reason.
Plus I found a couple of suspicious things there that I passed on to VICPOL.

Being from Ballarat it's been completely amazing at the level of interest spanning not only the state, but nation and internationally! But this has galvanised the nuff nuffs, with an unending conga line of them appearing on the tv nightly as experts and 'friends' of Sam.
I didn't know her, but know the Murphy's, and also know 'of' the Stephensons. Ultimately Ballarat is an oversized country town where everyone knows someone, and everyone has a theory.
My theory in regards to the disposal is that he's used the Yarrawee River, south of Buninyong (further south of the 'tower' ping). There are so many options and if the Scotsburn timeline fits then it stands to reason.
Plus I found a couple of suspicious things there that I passed on to VICPOL.
What did you find.
What are your thoughts on the Stephenson's?

Do you think that the accused POS is holding out in the hope that evidence might be compromised/destroyed by the passage of time (depending on where the body is), and it will be more difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he murdered her as charged?

Im pretty sure its a no go, as it can bias proceedings. It only comes out later on.

As it innocent till proven guilty in a court of law.
That's what I thought.

I remember after a trial, the media will say 'we can now reveal that 'accused' has previously been convicted of ..../has a long history of ... '

The police have a couple of new investigative tools we're not allowed to know about yet. Some information we got through the Cleo Smith investigation but I'm not sure if that information was a bit of a red herring because they really don't want to tell us what it is. That information was software that can go back in time and plot movements by overlaying the data.

There's something like Israel's Pegasus spyware, software that can be installed remotely and which gives complete access to the target's phone or device, all of it, including text messages.

It wouldn't surprise me if they can listen in actually.
Software that can go back in time?

I was listening to the JRE podcast with Gavin De Becker and he said a couple of years ago with Pegasus they would send a bogus message to the person's phone and when they opened the link it would download the spying software, but now as long as they have the person's phone number they can just place the installer file on the phone, and leave it to install itself through some AI component that detects when it's late at night and the user hasn't used their phone for a while (IE they're asleep).

I think it's a massive bridge too far.

I don't think there are nearly enough crimes to have that kind of invasion of privacy available to anyone.

Pegasus grants 24/7 access to the person's microphone and camera meaning they pretty much have around the clock access to everything a person is doing.

Do you think that the accused POS is holding out in the hope that evidence might be compromised/destroyed by the passage of time (depending on where the body is), and it will be more difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he murdered her as charged?
I'm more inclined to think he's just an arrogant, selfish pos of who doesn't take responsibility for his actions or have any empathy & compassion for others.

So probably the same thing, I guess.

A more experienced lawyer may go for a type of insanity plea if it can somehow be substantiated than there could be a split personality aspect going on with the accused.

I can allude to what we found, can't be specific to what and where. Might be nothing but where we found it was a particularly deep part of the river, and accessible by car, and very isolated. Suffice to say if you knew of this place you'd confidently use it. And what we found was so out of place, it arose suspicions with the plod
As to the family, the school stuff is right, there were warning lights flashing (ITK)

I can allude to what we found, can't be specific to what and where. Might be nothing but where we found it was a particularly deep part of the river, and accessible by car, and very isolated. Suffice to say if you knew of this place you'd confidently use it. And what we found was so out of place, it arose suspicions with the plod
As to the family, the school stuff is right, there were warning lights flashing (ITK)
What does this all mean? Who's we? What school stuff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a possibly dumping spot

What were the warning signs? I've read on the internet he was a bit of a bully and liked to hurt people

I was listening to the JRE podcast with Gavin De Becker and he said a couple of years ago with Pegasus they would send a bogus message to the person's phone and when they opened the link it would download the spying software, but now as long as they have the person's phone number they can just place the installer file on the phone, and leave it to install itself through some AI component that detects when it's late at night and the user hasn't used their phone for a while (IE they're asleep).

I think it's a massive bridge too far.

I don't think there are nearly enough crimes to have that kind of invasion of privacy available to anyone.

Pegasus grants 24/7 access to the person's microphone and camera meaning they pretty much have around the clock access to everything a person is doing.

Pegasus spyware factored in to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. That was horrible.

Pegasus Spyware - Israeli Cyber Arms NSO

Pegasus has been around for ages, it doesn't make any sense to me that law enforcement by now, wouldn't have it or it's equivalent.

When the public finds out exactly what savvy spying stuff government agencies have access to and it becomes common knowledge, we can be pretty sure that they've actually got something even better we know nothing about.

At the school (SPC) he was bullied for being a bit 'different', taken out to another school closer to his home. 'We' refers to my son and I, we manage a vineyard in Durham Lead, on the banks of the Yarrawee. The site I'm speaking of is about 5k's closer to Buninyong.
It's an old picnic spot

Allude away! What were you doing in the river is it a swimming spot? Surely not

At the school (SPC) he was bullied for being a bit 'different', taken out to another school closer to his home. 'We' refers to my son and I, we manage a vineyard in Durham Lead, on the banks of the Yarrawee. The site I'm speaking of is about 5k's closer to Buninyong.
It's an old picnic spot
Different in what sense?

It's an old picnic spot

Yeah he then went to Damascus, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back