Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:

Victoria Police previously said its crews would continue to search for Ms Murphy, whose body has not yet been found, and any evidence that could assist in the case.

Victoria Police would not confirm whether or not mine shafts formed part of the search for Ms Murphy.

It said it would not be commenting on the ongoing search or other details as the matter was before the courts.

My bet is the coppers have phone metadata evidence that matches him to SM. Seems on the balance of probabilities they may have him on trail cameras entering & leaving the area on the Sunday morning. If it were the case he was snapped on camera entering, leaving and then returning again with his vehicle the same day that would be a difficult one for PS to explain away.
Surely they would have more evidence than phone data and maybe a car on camera.
They’ve charged him with murder. They would have something much more solid.

When you take into account the rumours and the image he presents on social media you would think that he would fall into the disorganised category. People have mentioned panic, accident etc. In my option POS falls into the organised category. Samantha may have been a random victim but my money is on this whole thing being premeditated. And I am certain he’s had a rehearsal. Yes, at first I had Mick in the cross hairs. Sorry to say, as lovely as the husband is a lot of the time they are the perp.

I’ve been wondering about organised and disorganised and he seems a mix to me at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsworn statements have been outlawed in every state for decades, the last one I'm aware of was in the Nolfork Island murder, where McNeil made such a statement, as possibly due to a loophole they had forgotten to outlaw them in the external territories.

I don't think they're outlawed entirely but for a handful of states, if there are exceptions.

I don't think they're outlawed entirely but for a handful of states, if there are exceptions.
Abolished in WA, SA, NT and QLD I believe, but pretty much redundant as I said earlier, judges and juries paid little regard to unsworn statements. Folks wanted to get rid of them because accused persons were using them as a bit of a soapbox and making outrageous statements.

Wouldn't a plea only occur if there was a trial?
A plea will be asked for at the committal hearing.
And even if a guilty plea is entered, it still goes to trial even if only a formality.
So I don't understand the 'won't make it to trial' comment either, unless someone is suggesting some sort of "summary justice" - wouldn't surprise me given that they find the evidence 'overwhelming' despite not seeing it.

Wouldn't be the first person chucked down a mineshaft in the Ballarat area. I lived in a country town just outside Ballarat until the 90s.

They are everywhere in the bush and forest areas. People would use them as dumping grounds for old fridges, furniture, washing machines etc

Getting the phone and data records to try to accurately track his location and whereabouts hour by hour and day by day along with any traffic or CCTV footage or witness reports to assist takes time.

But he also could be after a plea deal to give body location

And even if a guilty plea is entered, it still goes to trial even if only a formality.
So I don't understand the 'won't make it to trial' comment either, unless someone is suggesting some sort of "summary justice" - wouldn't surprise me given that they find the evidence 'overwhelming' despite not seeing it.
That's what I was thinking. Regardless of it being such a rogue and ambiguous case, it doesn't mean the legal processes are likely to change.

If a deal is made prior, the matter doesn't need to be heard at a full trial on the question of guilt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back