Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
I wonder if the hit and run narrative would have taken off to the same degree if Samantha Murphy was 20 years younger. People still assume sexual crimes are about sexual attraction, and that older women are not sexually attractive so are less likely to be targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. Older women are less likely to be attacked.

Patton continually thanked the public for their assistance and said that they made an arrest executed search warrants on information obtained.

I’m fairly sure there’s a witness here who has gone to police - an actual eyewitness (doubtful, too much time elapsed), or an acquaintance of the accused who he has told what has happened. They have arrested and executed search warrants based on the witness statements and the evidence gathered matches their statements exactly.

They may even have a recording of confused that they set up via the witness wearing a wire or having their phone recorded.

As to what actually happened… who knows. It may have been opportunistic. He’s seen a woman jogging and propositioned her. She’s knocked him back or ignored him and he’s attacked and things got out of hand. Possible. Who knows.

Definitely. Older women are less likely to be attacked.

Without putting too fine a point on it however, she wasn’t a middle-aged dinner lady.

Plenty of very fit 50yo women out jogging would catch the attention of men of all ages. Modern fashion, including athletic wear, doesn’t differ a whole lot for women in the 30s, 40s or 50s.

It’s hard to describe without objectifying, but it’s certainly a possibility and unfortunately all too common a motive in these random attacks (which this certainly seems to be).

When people use their vehicle to end their own lives is that an accident?

Or is it a deliberate act, where they make the decision to end their life by deliberately hitting a tree, brick wall, whatever.
I would think suicide a deliberate act.

I think the car aspect is so prominent because the police mentioned a damaged car & asked the public to notify them if they recall seeing a damaged car in the area around those times.

The media keep asking about it in the pressers too, and I'd assume they know or have heard a little more about the investigation than they have (or allowed to) revealed publicly.

I don't agree with the sexual crimes aspect of your comment at all on so many levels. Women of all demographics are victims of sexual assault. Recent ones which come to mind occurred in aged care facilities, as an example.

Thanks for the reply. If you look more carefully at what I said, you’ll see that we are saying the same thing.

Without putting too fine a point on it however, she wasn’t a middle-aged dinner lady.

Plenty of very fit 50yo women out jogging would catch the attention of men of all ages. Modern fashion, including athletic wear, doesn’t differ a whole lot for women in the 30s, 40s or 50s.

It’s hard to describe without objectifying, but it’s certainly a possibility and unfortunately all too common a motive in these random attacks (which this certainly seems to be).

Yes, but my point is that sexual assault isn’t generally about liking the look of someone. It’s about wanting to dominate someone.

Pretty sure 7 news just reported that Patrick had been on the police radar for two weeks.

Is it possible they are using the murder charge as leverage to get him to reveal where the body is?
Suppose he is just clamming up and not saying anything. The cops will have a theory as to what has happened, including Samantha dying as a result of the offender's actions. If he wants the cops to believe he hasn't murdered her, he will have to tell them exactly what happened (including where the body is), and therefore why it's not murder but possibly a lesser charge.
Right now, it's a poker game. Without a body, all the police have is circumstantial evidence, and they may not get a conviction (beyond reasonable doubt). They may very well offer a lesser charge for a confession which includes the location of the body.
We really don't know what evidence the police have.

So in USA (or some states there at least), they must release the probable cause document pubically so everyone has access to see why the charge occurred. In Australia is there anything similar? If not isn't it possible the police charge with lack of evidence and there's nothing anyone can do about it until a hearing with the a judge who throws the case out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but my point is that sexual assault isn’t generally about liking the look of someone. It’s about wanting to dominate someone.

I've never sexually assaulted somebody so not certain but if you look at victim profiles I'd say age, how they look, and being attracted are pretty much the main motivators in most cases.

I've never sexually assualted somebody so not certain but if you look at victom profiles I'd say age, how they look, and being attracted is pretty much the main motivator in most cases.
I've never sexually assaulted somebody so not certain but if you look at victim profiles I'd say age, how they look, and being attracted are pretty much the main motivators in most cases.
Children, elderly, any age it’s power and control

Hmmm, not necessarily. Sex offenders or serial killers often have a type they are into. Sometimes it is opportunistic, sometimes it is specific.

So many children are sexually assaulted in Australia every year. The victims actually do reflect that.

Yeah but plenty of men attracted to children especially adolescents/teens . Attacks are rarer and rarer as victims get older.

Last edited:
So if that’s true should the trial be dismissed or relocated (even though we don’t know where it will be held?
Well, it’s just my take on it. Whether they’ll consider all the publicity relevant to determining whether the jury will be prejudiced, I don’t know. It just occurred to me that given the media coverage, local country town, disappearance for a month with news articles every day, a female victim in this climate, and a mother, I think that his lawyer will factor all that in and do all he can to give him the best chance for fairness and neutrality.

Does he deserve it? He does, but if the evidence is overwhelming then no doubt he’ll go down. If there is any ambiguity though then hopefully it isn’t overlooked due to wanting to put him away because they have someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back