Sando - False bravado or genuine optimism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sekaj

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 18, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/144975/default.aspx

"I told the boys to keep their chin up, make sure they recover, learn from the loss, walk out of the stadium with your head high and we'll get on with next week," Sanderson said.

"We're not going to, after a loss, just say we're no longer a good footy side, because we are."

Dangerfield was a bit more damning (and probably more realistic) with his assessment.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/145001/default.aspx

“It’s not going to cut it. If we serve that up again, regardless of who we play it’s going to end pretty quickly.
“We need to rectify it very quickly because we weren’t able to do it today. We had two breaks (half-time and three-quarter time), and time during the quarters to address it and stop it, but we didn’t do that.
“From what we’ve been able to deliver during the season, it was just pathetic.”

Patty is spot on, but so is Sando.

We're heading into the finals, as a top 4 side; we can't throw everything we've done to date out the window and try and reinvent the wheel.

It was a pathetic, dismal loss - but it was a result of a lack of application; a mental problem, not a lot more.

These are the kinds of losses you want to get out of the way now.

Would have been a pretty sad day if we sat around feeling all disheartened and out of contention after the 98 Qualifying loss to Melbourne, or the Round 22 loss to Essendon in 1997.

When you live to fight another day, you do just that.

i'd certainly rather see that sort of loss now, than in 3 weeks time. i really hope it was a one off, but the writing has been on the wall for the past couple of weeks that a performance like this one was coming.

now that it's happened, and the "loss that we needed to have" has happened, hopefully we can get back on track.

These are the kinds of losses you want to get out of the way now.

Would have been a pretty sad day if we sat around feeling all disheartened and out of contention after the 98 Qualifying loss to Melbourne, or the Round 22 loss to Essendon in 1997.

When you live to fight another day, you do just that.

This is true. The main concern is whether it cost us a home final, but if we gain more from the loss (ie waking us the **** back up) then it's been a positive overall.

the loss we had to have ? always an interesting cliche this one isnt it ?? However I do agree with it, it might just shake the foundations a little bit and give the boys a wake up call.
It would have been unjust for us to pinch the game at the end and honestly probably would have only just covered up some cracks.
Reaction this week will be interesting.

We'll see next week. If we come out breathing fire and never look back... if individuals clearly set out to rectify the embarrassment...give Melbourne an absolute spanking...then maybe it was a good wake up call. However if we serve up the same insipid garbage, or just do the bare minimum then its probably over and we can expect to go out in straight sets which could be psychologically dangerous for the club. Our mental strength is under the spotlight atm. We absolutely must get a taste of victory in September.

the loss we had to have ? always an interesting cliche this one isnt it ?? However I do agree with it, it might just shake the foundations a little bit and give the boys a wake up call.
It would have been unjust for us to pinch the game at the end and honestly probably would have only just covered up some cracks.
Reaction this week will be interesting.

Our form has been pretty bad since the West Coast game. Hopefully this is a wake up call and not signs to tiring bodies.

Loss we had to have? No. A loss we should never had had. At this time of the year we should be hitting peak form and winding up for the big push. That loss was inexcusable and very worrying. Paddy seems to have a realistic grasp of the situation. I hope Sando had more to say to the boys than was in his quote.

Sando seems to be a glass half full kind of guy. In his interview yesterday morning, he was asked about the losses we've had and the problem we seemed to have in those games in relation to handling the opposition's spread and applied pressure. While acknowledging momentarily that we'd had losses, he said we'd won 20 out of 25 football games this year, kicked 100 more goals than this time last year, why weren't we concentrating on the WINS?

While that is perhaps my personal preference (to focus on the positives rather than the negatives), I just hope that that isn't how he really approaches his coaching because that will only lead to heartache!

Sando also made the comment in relation to the Brisbane game, that we'd played good footy in that first quarter - "perhaps too good". Which probably enforces my thoughts that they thought they had it won and closed up shop. His challenge has to be to get them to STOP doing that.

Patty was far more forthright in his thoughts on how we played - and none of it was pretty. I like Patty! No nonsense, call it how he sees it type. I reckon he'd be a tough (but hopefully fair) task master.

About half way threw the first quarter is when the good sides hit their peak, after half time the sting out of the game is gone.
It takes a good ten minutes for a game and tactics/match ups to settle, then off the good teams go busting their gut till half time.
We are not keeping up with the running capacity of the good sides when its at its strongest (half way threw the first quarter till half time) Of our losses, We have lost every game but the Collingwood game in this period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't tend to agree that sides who are coasting by, beating oppositions with ease and not really being challenge, "need" to have a loss. Don't think it does anyone any good in that situation, and the best you can really hope for is that the loss won't mean anything.

In our case, I think we probably can benefit from the loss. We weren't coasting by, we were falling over the line on a weekly basis against opposition sides we should have been destroying, and we seemed to be happy to do so. Indeed, we often gave the impression of being more pleased with getting five goals down and then running over the opposition than we were if we simply got in front and stayed there the whole match.

Now we've seen that we're going to lose matches, regardless of how good or otherwise the opposition is, if we continue to play that way. It has the potential to wake us back up again.

I don't know if we "needed" it, but I think it can help us.

I think that the brisbane game needs to be interpretted one of two ways:
  • We're a 5-8th side with an easy draw that's overacheived and we've come back to earth
  • We're a 1-4th side that played poorly once off because we're still developing
I personally hope that it's the latter, in which case the loss won't make a massive difference in the long run (Assuming we win our next two and finish second). If it's the first, it doesn't matter because we'd be shown up in finals eventually anyway.

The Crows still lack the ability to truly kill their opposition. They have this horrible tendency of putting themselves in a winning position and then just cruising instead of stamping the foot down. This was very much a problem we had under Craig and its still a problem under Sando (albeit not nearly as bad).

While that is perhaps my personal preference (to focus on the positives rather than the negatives), I just hope that that isn't how he really approaches his coaching because that will only lead to heartache!

What do you mean by the second part of that sentence - the really approaches his coaching lead to heartache bit?

The focus on the positives is 1) contrary to AFL coaching culture but 2) the better approach.

There was a review a couple of years ago about the AFL coaching done by both Australian and overseas experts from other sports and they remarked at how negative things are viewed in coaching and training in AFL.

In every motivational field, teaching, coaching, public speaking, psych that I've looked at, staying positive is the most important aspect there is. Also, for instance, in teaching, we are trained not just to be positive about an event that is good but even when the students are behaving "normal" or "nothing special" you need to praise this in order to build a cycle of positive reinforcement that encourages the behaviour. The absence of "telling off" does not equate to positive. Teachers are told to monitor their rates of praise versus telling off and in a good motivational situation the former exceeds the latter - but how many times would that have ever happened in school classes or AFL coaching to date?

If all the other players are as pisd as Danger then we have the perfect situation. Players angry and with fire in the belly for atonement and the coach still positive.

What do you mean by the second part of that sentence - the really approaches his coaching lead to heartache bit?

The focus on the positives is 1) contrary to AFL coaching culture but 2) the better approach.

There was a review a couple of years ago about the AFL coaching done by both Australian and overseas experts from other sports and they remarked at how negative things are viewed in coaching and training in AFL.

In every motivational field, teaching, coaching, public speaking, psych that I've looked at, staying positive is the most important aspect there is. Also, for instance, in teaching, we are trained not just to be positive about an event that is good but even when the students are behaving "normal" or "nothing special" you need to praise this in order to build a cycle of positive reinforcement that encourages the behaviour. The absence of "telling off" does not equate to positive. Teachers are told to monitor their rates of praise versus telling off and in a good motivational situation the former exceeds the latter - but how many times would that have ever happened in school classes or AFL coaching to date?

If all the other players are as pisd as Danger then we have the perfect situation. Players angry and with fire in the belly for atonement and the coach still positive.

I meant I hope he doesn't think they've done enough. That they've played some good footy and that's all we focus on. Neil Craig (god bless his cotton socks) was right when he said we learn from our mistakes - although in the latter years it didn't seem as if they did. If we don't focus on them at all, it's impossible to learn.

This constant praising of people is an interesting topic and often leads to problems in my experience. My son, as an example, was always praised for the things he did, so much so he is always looking for external approval. I see this in a lot of young people today. There must be a balance, so that they learn to draw on themselves for motivation and self satisfaction and not always expecting a parent, teacher or coach to tell them how good they are or to highlight things that are really just normal expectations.

I'm sure in some respects Sando's putting on a positive front for the media. While he may have still been somewhat positive with the playing group I'm sure behind closed doors during the review it wasn't all positive. Loved Danger's look on it though. Hopefully we can have a couple of good wins the next two weeks and still get a home final.

There is a hint in the body language of Sando, and has been since he got an extensive look at our players, that there was a gap between what he initially thought our group can do, and what he now believes they can do (less). Somewhat unsettling, but not unexpected.

The Crows still lack the ability to truly kill their opposition. They have this horrible tendency of putting themselves in a winning position and then just cruising instead of stamping the foot down. This was very much a problem we had under Craig and its still a problem under Sando (albeit not nearly as bad).

Actually I haven't noticed this so much (other than on the weekend).

The problem we've had under Sando has been that it's taken us an age to get started most weeks. Then by the time we kick into gear we could be several goals down and have to peg it all back.

Sando's approach is spot on as there is no point being negative, he will address the areas for improvement while keeping their confidence and belief high

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando - False bravado or genuine optimism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back