FTA-TV SAS Australia - "Celebs" MkIII

Remove this Banner Ad

“I was reversing so I could get a run up”

Did that dickhead think he was in WWE and was going to get some speed up off the ropes?

Mate, stop telling us because your an actor, that you can deal with pressure. You remember lines that someone else writes and read them back. That challenge went to show that you can’t think for yourself.

“The mouse will eat the spider”

Scud, the lights are barely on and nobody is home.

When the SAS guys said that Jana grabbed a bit of 4x2 to escape with in the hostage challenge, I thought they meant Philippousis.

Mate, stop telling us because your an actor, that you can deal with pressure. You remember lines that someone else writes and read them back. That challenge went to show that you can’t think for yourself.
Reminds me of this great roundtable interview with a bunch of actors I saw on youtube. The interviewer asked them some question where he said it was one of the hardest jobs in the world and how did they cope. Denzel Washington shut him down immediately saying "Getting shot in Iraq is hard, acting is the easiest job there is".

“The mouse will eat the spider”

Scud, the lights are barely on and nobody is home.

When the SAS guys said that Jana grabbed a bit of 4x2 to escape with in the hostage challenge, I thought they meant Philippousis.

Hahaha i said the same thing about Scud last week.

I kinda like him tho, he's a dumb harmless buffoon. There's no way he's going to get "accepted" at the end.

So... last night was all about Super Jana. She was the absolute star of the "run to the border" exercise, impressing Billy with her composure/awareness/thinking to push his head down as they passed the gunman at the border. She then confirmed her superstar status by leading the escape. Note that all of the recruits were involved in the escape this time - unlike last year, where only one escaped, and they didn't bother to take the others with them.

Then we (finally) got to see a Jana confessional. She became only the 2nd recruit to be told, in no uncertain terms, that they were at the front of the pack. Sam Burgess got a similar speech much earlier in the series.

We can now put the remaining 5 recruits into 3 categories - the Likely Selections, the Grey Man, and those with No Chance Whatsoever. Barring something unforeseen happening, between now & the end, it's hard to see the top-2 players not passing selection. Conversely, there's no way back now for the bottom two. That leaves the Grey Man as the only recruit with TBD still against his name.

Likely Selections
Sam Burgess
- Sam is the stereotypical rugby league player, with big muscles and not much between the ears. He's led the pack since Day 1, and has rarely put a foot wrong. He's faltered from time to time, as in the hostage rescue, but his dominance in the physical challenges has more than covered the gaps in the other areas.

Jana Pittman - For someone who was a sprinter, Jana is now built like a brick outhouse, and that's played out to her benefit. It means that her mental/composure/awareness is complemented by a physical strength that was unmatched by any of the other female recruits. Super Jana failed the forward abseil, but it's hard to remember another challenge where she hasn't shone like a lighthouse beacon. Last night the DS confirmed what the viewers had long known - she was one of the very front runners, and in the driving seat for selection.

Grey Man
John Stephenson
- Stephenson has been the invisible man, throughout the entire series so far. He hasn't excelled at anything, but nor has he failed miserably. He's just sailed under the radar, without drawing any attention from the DS. He is now the only recruit without a single visit to the confessional booth. Having watched the first 2 series of "SAS Who Dares Wins", when it was shown on SBS, the Grey Man is not a bad place to be. SAS is about getting the job done, quietly, and with the minimum of fuss - something with aligns perfectly with the Grey Man. If there's a smokey for selection, behind the two frontrunners, then Stephenson is that man.

No Chance Whatsoever
Mark Philipoussis
- Philipoussis is a lovable doofus. His lack of drive will ensure that he won't be selected, but I've really enjoyed watching him on the show. He's matured from the petulant brat of his playing days, into a mellow older man with a more relaxed view of life. This show has been a nice coda to the symphony of his playing career.

Dan Ewing - Ewing hasn't done his career any favours by appearing on this show. He hasn't committed career suicide, the way that Firass Dirani did last year, rendering himself virtually unemployable - but he's been well & truly exposed for the creepy fraud he truly is. Ewing now holds the record, as the only 2021 recruit called into the confessional booth on 3 occasions, all of which were for a bollocking. He's shown himself to be a creep, with anger management issues, deceiving himself by trying to pain a veneer of wellness crap over a toxic personality. His inability to own his mistakes, and learn from them, is probably the final nail in his coffin. My Grandmother has more chance of being selected than Ewing, and she's been dead for 5 years.

Dan Ewing has surpassed every possible expectation in the deadshit/dickhead/knob stakes !!

I have never seen seen such a blowhard self-centred kumbeyah w***er on TV in this country in my lifetime.

How does he qualify as an actor let alone a celebrity, he's pathetic.

And how would you like to go to war with him ?? **** me dead, I'd offer him up to the enemy as target practice.

Dan Ewing has surpassed every possible expectation in the deadshit/dickhead/knob stakes !!

I have never seen seen such a blowhard self-centred kumbeyah w***er on TV in this country in my lifetime.

How does he qualify as an actor let alone a celebrity, he's pathetic.

And how would you like to go to war with him ?? fu** me dead, I'd offer him up to the enemy as target practice.

You're brilliant.

So... last night was all about Super Jana. She was the absolute star of the "run to the border" exercise, impressing Billy with her composure/awareness/thinking to push his head down as they passed the gunman at the border. She then confirmed her superstar status by leading the escape. Note that all of the recruits were involved in the escape this time - unlike last year, where only one escaped, and they didn't bother to take the others with them.

Then we (finally) got to see a Jana confessional. She became only the 2nd recruit to be told, in no uncertain terms, that they were at the front of the pack. Sam Burgess got a similar speech much earlier in the series.

We can now put the remaining 5 recruits into 3 categories - the Likely Selections, the Grey Man, and those with No Chance Whatsoever. Barring something unforeseen happening, between now & the end, it's hard to see the top-2 players not passing selection. Conversely, there's no way back now for the bottom two. That leaves the Grey Man as the only recruit with TBD still against his name.

Likely Selections
Sam Burgess
- Sam is the stereotypical rugby league player, with big muscles and not much between the ears. He's led the pack since Day 1, and has rarely put a foot wrong. He's faltered from time to time, as in the hostage rescue, but his dominance in the physical challenges has more than covered the gaps in the other areas.

Jana Pittman - For someone who was a sprinter, Jana is now built like a brick outhouse, and that's played out to her benefit. It means that her mental/composure/awareness is complemented by a physical strength that was unmatched by any of the other female recruits. Super Jana failed the forward abseil, but it's hard to remember another challenge where she hasn't shone like a lighthouse beacon. Last night the DS confirmed what the viewers had long known - she was one of the very front runners, and in the driving seat for selection.

Grey Man
John Stephenson
- Stephenson has been the invisible man, throughout the entire series so far. He hasn't excelled at anything, but nor has he failed miserably. He's just sailed under the radar, without drawing any attention from the DS. He is now the only recruit without a single visit to the confessional booth. Having watched the first 2 series of "SAS Who Dares Wins", when it was shown on SBS, the Grey Man is not a bad place to be. SAS is about getting the job done, quietly, and with the minimum of fuss - something with aligns perfectly with the Grey Man. If there's a smokey for selection, behind the two frontrunners, then Stephenson is that man.

No Chance Whatsoever
Mark Philipoussis
- Philipoussis is a lovable doofus. His lack of drive will ensure that he won't be selected, but I've really enjoyed watching him on the show. He's matured from the petulant brat of his playing days, into a mellow older man with a more relaxed view of life. This show has been a nice coda to the symphony of his playing career.

Dan Ewing - Ewing hasn't done his career any favours by appearing on this show. He hasn't committed career suicide, the way that Firass Dirani did last year, rendering himself virtually unemployable - but he's been well & truly exposed for the creepy fraud he truly is. Ewing now holds the record, as the only 2021 recruit called into the confessional booth on 3 occasions, all of which were for a bollocking. He's shown himself to be a creep, with anger management issues, deceiving himself by trying to pain a veneer of wellness crap over a toxic personality. His inability to own his mistakes, and learn from them, is probably the final nail in his coffin. My Grandmother has more chance of being selected than Ewing, and she's been dead for 5 years.
I reckon Jana's done a smart thing by watching previous season's of SAS. A few of the tasks have been repeated in similar styles, such as escaping from a chained situation, and it wouldn't surprise me if she had picked up notes on what's expected knowing her intelligence now.

Merrick Watts said he did the same last hear which helped his preparation immensely.

I reckon Jana's done a smart thing by watching previous season's of SAS. A few of the tasks have been repeated in similar styles, such as escaping from a chained situation, and it wouldn't surprise me if she had picked up notes on what's expected knowing her intelligence now.

Merrick Watts said he did the same last hear which helped his preparation immensely.
Highly likely. I can definitely see Jana preparing herself by watching previous series, to see what kind of challenges the DS set, and what their expectations are.

She is also a very fast learner. She picked up in Ep 1 that they were into detail. Koby didn't learn, which is why he got busted for lairising on the forward abseil, despite Molik having been busted for lairising in the helicopter challenge previously. You know they don't like lairising, so don't ****ing do it!

Absolutely no defence of Dan BUT he did the podcast with Sabrina and Merrick and i saw a snippet of it, he was actually pretty self depricating, said he copped a bit of editing but he still said alot of cringey sh*t.
They all get edited.

Koby tried to argue that his "yahoo" in the forward abseil, was a celebration of being the 1st (not last). That completely ignores the previous warning they'd had about lairising, with the Alicia Molik helicopter fail.

They can't edit you to make you look like a dumb shit, if you don't do dumb shit in the first place.

They all get edited.

Koby tried to argue that his "yahoo" in the forward abseil, was a celebration of being the 1st (not last). That completely ignores the previous warning they'd had about lairising, with the Alicia Molik helicopter fail.

They can't edit you to make you look like a dumb sh*t, if you don't do dumb sh*t in the first place.
Yeh absolutely, not giving him a complete reprieve just saying he came across less floggish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Sabrina Frederick & Jana Pittman setting the standard, there now seems to be a "type" of female which is more likely to succeed than others. Females, even more so that males, need to be strongly built, with large frames to cope with the physical demands of the challenges.

Delicate flowers like Cornish & Peris can only go so far, before their lack of physicality forces them to drop out. That's bad news for Michelle Wu, who has almost no chance of gaining "selection" in the 2022 series.

Female recruits also need to be mentally strong - something with Jana had in spades, and Sabrina wasn't completely lacking. I think this was where Alicia Molik was lacking.

With Sabrina Frederick & Jana Pittman setting the standard, there now seems to be a "type" of female which is more likely to succeed than others. Females, even more so that males, need to be strongly built, with large frames to cope with the physical demands of the challenges.

Delicate flowers like Cornish & Peris can only go so far, before their lack of physicality forces them to drop out. That's bad news for Michelle Wu, who has almost no chance of gaining "selection" in the 2022 series.

Female recruits also need to be mentally strong - something with Jana had in spades, and Sabrina wasn't completely lacking. I think this was where Alicia Molik was lacking.
Bit rough on Cornish, she fractured her hip otherwise would have been 1 or 2 on the rankings pre injury

Late entry into this thread but:
Heath Shaw's sudden capitulation really surprised me; he and Sam Burgess seemed to be the most physically adept to go the distance, which is unsurprising due to their both being professional footballers who undergo gruelling training in the preseason and the physical punishment of week-in-week-out contact sport.
I think he maybe just overdid it in his final challenge and felt he had nothing left. Hope he doesn't regret his decision down the track.

On Sam Burgess: I'm a big rugby league fan so obviously remember his playing career well. It's not surprising at all that he's physically up for it, he was an absolute weapon during his playing career - he played the entire 2014 Grand Final with a broken cheekbone!
He and Jana are the clear standouts; this series has been an absolute PR windfall for Jana, what a legend!

Bit rough on Cornish, she fractured her hip otherwise would have been 1 or 2 on the rankings pre injury
She was never 1 or 2 - Burgess & Pittman have had a lock on those positions from Day 1. She was arguably in the next group though, with Stephenson.

It would have been very hard to see her progressing past the 5km log carry, which saw the end of Peris.

Ultimately, you've made my point for me though. Her body was petite and fail, which is why she broke her hip. She lacks the robustness of the larger framed females, like Frederick & Pittman.

She was never 1 or 2 - Burgess & Pittman have had a lock on those positions from Day 1. She was arguably in the next group though, with Stephenson.

It would have been very hard to see her progressing past the 5km log carry, which saw the end of Peris.

Ultimately, you've made my point for me though. Her body was petite and fail, which is why she broke her hip. She lacks the robustness of the larger framed females, like Frederick & Pittman.
She had only failed one task, better than both Jana and Burgess. She was also a pretty clear favourite of the DS.

Pretty rough to assume the break was because shes "frail" but to each their own.

She had only failed one task, better than both Jana and Burgess. She was also a pretty clear favourite of the DS.

Pretty rough to assume the break was because shes "frail" but to each their own.
Small bodies are more easily broken. Fact of life.

I'm happy to agree that she was upper echelon (well ahead of Peris, Philipoussis, Ewing, Koby, Jett, Shaw), but Burgess & Pittman have been next level for the entire series.

Small bodies are more easily broken. Fact of life.

I'm happy to agree that she was upper echelon (well ahead of Peris, Philipoussis, Ewing, Koby, Jett, Shaw), but Burgess & Pittman have been next level for the entire series.
I suppose thats why someone like Tom Lonergan nearly died from a knee to the kidney. I get the principle i just think its misplaced here.

She was ahead of them on tasks passed, IMO she was in the top 3 at the very least. Burgess being a physical brute didnt help him in the hostage rescue or injured dummy recovery challenges.

The odds are against anyone petite. I get everyone in the SAS is treated equally but the fact that Isabelle and Jess had to carry the same weight backpack as the lads everywhere is a massively unfair advantage.

Would like to see the weight of the burgen done by a percentage of their bodyweight to make it a more even playing field.

The odds are against anyone petite. I get everyone in the SAS is treated equally but the fact that Isabelle and Jess had to carry the same weight backpack as the lads everywhere is a massively unfair advantage.

Would like to see the weight of the burgen done by a percentage of their bodyweight to make it a more even playing field.
Nah... they have to carry the kit required. They're not putting weights in the packs, it's just what's required to survive. This is selection for the SAS, not some equal opportunity garden party.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV SAS Australia - "Celebs" MkIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back