Scarlett's toe-poke and Ablett's kick to the square

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Scarlett toe poke

Did Hawthorn have a hand in our success in 2009
Just watched this vid again - and a question came up in my mind.
A year ago would the St Kilda backman have punched the ball forward after the Ablett kick, which set up Varcoe's handball into Chappy in space? or would they have thumped it through for a point and Saints control of the ball?
Hawks forced a rule change with their dodgy work last year that may have actually helped us this year.
Go Hawks (never thought i would say that)

Nah, if a Saint had punched that through there would have been no free kick paid, not a chance.

*Shivers* wow. How good was that by Scarlett, don't know what he was doing there, but another second and the Saints were away done the other end. The definition of flag-deciding moment...and of course all of Scarlett, Gaz and Chappy were involved

maybe missed a little by a few people but watch max rooke blow the pack away running with the flight of the ball, gutsy and created a contest which resulted in the goal

Did Hawthorn have a hand in our success in 2009
Just watched this vid again - and a question came up in my mind.
A year ago would the St Kilda backman have punched the ball forward after the Ablett kick, which set up Varcoe's handball into Chappy in space? or would they have thumped it through for a point and Saints control of the ball?
Hawks forced a rule change with their dodgy work last year that may have actually helped us this year.
Go Hawks (never thought i would say that)

Knowing the Saints' luck they would have punched the ball askew and into the waiting arms of Chappy!!

Knowing the Saints' luck they would have punched the ball askew and into the waiting arms of Chappy!!

The ball probably dropped a little too short for the Saints to be confident of punching it through.

Anyway with Rooke and Moons bearing down on them, I reckon the defenders might have had one eye on them rather than the ball! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Know of anywhere I could listen to it?
It's on the same thread with the other five calls. Seems I'm repeating myself again and again! I'll upload the last five minutes with each call to YouTube tomorrow.

Re: Ablett's kick...

55-60, looked just inside the center square and landed just inside the goal square.
50 metres at best - he kicked it about 6-7 metres from 50 metre arc and it fell about 6-7 metres from goal line. He was probably annoyed with himself that he didn't really get on to it.

Re: Ablett's kick...

50 metres at best - he kicked it about 6-7 metres from 50 metre arc and it fell about 6-7 metres from goal line. He was probably annoyed with himself that he didn't really get on to it.
The ball was holding up greatly towards that end. Look at Rooke's snap for goal earlier - looked home before almost stopping dead in the air, allowing Baker time to dive and touch it.

Geez, just thought what if......Mooney had taken the mark from the Ablett punt? He would have been 15 out, dead in front, at the Punt Rd. end. Had he missed..... Another reason to thanks Maxy for the spill. :D

What a pisser. :D And scary at the same time
Still wish rooke had of taken it.

Would be one for the ages

That play was great, but the play of the day for me was when Rooke kicked the point to put us seven points up several minutes later. He outbodied his opponent on the flank, kicked the ball inside 50, followed up, soccered the ball forward, then ran after it and soccered it through for a point.

The amazing thing though was when he soccered it through for a point, the ball went past both Byrnes and Hawkins who were running towards the goal square. If one of them picked it up and had the other one laid a shepherd while they ran into an open goal, we could've won by three goals. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Scarlett's toe-poke and Ablett's kick to the square

Remove this Banner Ad

Back