Scott Gumbleton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to have you at my back in the trenches:eek:

It's football mate.

I'll give you an example from North. We stuck by Jesse Smith for years and years through his injuries. It wasn't because they were being good blokes, it was because he could've been one of the best players in the comp. But when Matthew Scott, a 2nd year rookie, did his ACL he was delisted at the end of the year.

If Henry Slattery had multiple injuries I doubt Essendon would've persisted with him.

I would like to think he would show some loyalty to us and think we have given him more oppurtunities then some clubs would but these are all just opinions and none of us really know.

I don't think Essendon will get enough in return for a trade considering what has been invested and the possible outcomes if all goes well for Scott from here. If he requested a trade home I would be suprised if we got offered Suban but if so I would take the trade and be happy enough. We need quality disposal in our team and from what I have seen Suban is a good kick and seems a likely type. Freo fans how old is Suban?

Will become one of our most important players next season, with Hurley likely to switch back into defence.

Wouldn't accept anything less than a first rounder, due to his importance. Is probably worth a second rounder all things considered, though.

Package him in on the Caddy trade and send him to Gold Coast?

Personally not interested as far as West Coast is concerned but think he'd offer a lot for Fremantle if he can keep fit.

Suban's name been thrown around already. Pitt and Roberton potential trade bait here. There's rumours around that McPhee might be heading back east. Zac Clarke?????

We have Hille, Ryder, Bellchambers and young Daniher entering the list next year doubt we need Zach Clarke.

It's football mate.

I'll give you an example from North. We stuck by Jesse Smith for years and years through his injuries. It wasn't because they were being good blokes, it was because he could've been one of the best players in the comp. But when Matthew Scott, a 2nd year rookie, did his ACL he was delisted at the end of the year.

If Henry Slattery had multiple injuries I doubt Essendon would've persisted with him.

It's not about Essendon not delisting Gumbleton. Put yourself in Gumbleton's shoes, do you reckon he feels like he has repayed Essendon and the fans for the faith, hope, time and money the have put into him. The fact we used the earliest pick we have ever had on him? No. Can he help that? No. But one thing he can do, is see that Essendon at least gets a trade for him. It is the least he will do. He will not walk, unless Essendon somehow butcher the trade discussion.

He is well liked at the club, he would not shaft it.

I would like to think he would show some loyalty to us and think we have given him more oppurtunities then some clubs would but these are all just opinions and none of us really know.

I don't think Essendon will get enough in return for a trade considering what has been invested and the possible outcomes if all goes well for Scott from here. If he requested a trade home I would be suprised if we got offered Suban but if so I would take the trade and be happy enough. We need quality disposal in our team and from what I have seen Suban is a good kick and seems a likely type. Freo fans how old is Suban?

Suban is 22, 61 games, 180cm, 84kg

Will become one of our most important players next season, with Hurley likely to switch back into defence.

Wouldn't accept anything less than a first rounder, due to his importance. Is probably worth a second rounder all things considered, though.

He's still a long shot. I'll be shocked if he ends up as 'one of your most important players next season'.

With Essendon keen to somehow get Caddy. you'd imagine that any players Essendon traded out, would need to in some way go towards getting the pick for Caddy.

i.e. Essendon would be working to get pick 10-15 out of the cumulation of whatever trades they can make.

We have Hille, Ryder, Bellchambers and young Daniher entering the list next year doubt we need Zach Clarke.

Is Hille definitely playing on next year? Daniher is more of a forward than a ruck and I doubt he will be playing that much next year anyway. With Ryder and Bellchambers we wouldn't need a player like Zach Clarke but I think we do need some ruck depth.

My understanding is hille has been offered new contract so would seem yes. We have greater needs than rucks and freo have other players already mentioned in this thread who suit our needs better. Also why would Clarke want to be a backup at essendon instead of freo there are clubs where he could be número uno or at least clearer number 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Essendon keen to somehow get Caddy. you'd imagine that any players Essendon traded out, would need to in some way go towards getting the pick for Caddy.

i.e. Essendon would be working to get pick 10-15 out of the cumulation of whatever trades they can make.

I still don't see how you can do it without giving up a player that you want to keep. The reality is that the higher up in the draft you go the harder it is to get much of a pick upgrade for fringe players.

Currently Essendon's 2nd round pick is about 32. Gumbleton might be able to get you an upgrade from 32 to about 25. There's no way Hooker is going to get you up into the top 15 from there. Top draft picks are highly guarded and require more than fringe players for clubs to be willing to drop themselves down the list. Essendon's only chances are either giving up somebody of quality or having Caddy nominate Essendon only which might make them consider accepting a pick of about 20.

With Hanson being one of your most important fwds, i'm suprised you think Gumby couldn't do the same.

This has nothing to do with Lachie Hansen or even Gumbleton's pre-draft ability. This is purely about injuries.

Also why would Clarke want to be a backup at essendon instead of freo there are clubs where he could be número uno or at least clearer number 2.

He wouldn't which is why I said we wouldn't be looking for a player like him. I really don't think we would be looking for rucks through trading but probably in the draft. If Hille doesn't play on next year we have two rucks on our list.

I still don't see how you can do it without giving up a player that you want to keep. The reality is that the higher up in the draft you go the harder it is to get much of a pick upgrade for fringe players.

Currently Essendon's 2nd round pick is about 32. Gumbleton might be able to get you an upgrade from 32 to about 25. There's no way Hooker is going to get you up into the top 15 from there. Top draft picks are highly guarded and require more than fringe players for clubs to be willing to drop themselves down the list. Essendon's only chances are either giving up somebody of quality or having Caddy nominate Essendon only which might make them consider accepting a pick of about 20.

Are you sure you can't just bundle up 4-5 spuds and a set of steak knives for 1st round pick? I've read a few threads on here and thought that was a normal trade...

Firstly - Gumbleton doesn't owe Essendon anything. It's him who's worked his arse off trying to get up and running despite six years of setbacks, where so many others would have thrown in the towel. If the Dons benefit from his revival, then it's happy days; if he ends up starring somewhere else, then I think he's earned it just for hanging in there.

It's an interesting situation from Essendon's point of view. On one hand, the prospect that Gumby might actually be able to string a season together is a mouthwatering one. On the other hand, holding onto him just to see him break down again and lose whatever trade value he currently has... not so tempting.

Theoretically, swapping him for one of Freo's young mids looks like a good deal for both sides. I've always liked the look of Suban - he's not altogether unlike David Myers, good inside with plenty of power and a long kick. A shame they've also got similar injury records.

I personally wouldn't swap Suban for Gumbleton. He is too much of a risk. I would still like Gumby but maybe if we could get him for a Roberton or Pitt.

If we were to lose Suban, I would prefer it to be for a HEALTHY up and coming key forward that needs more opportunity. Say McKernan from Adelaide or Aaron Black at North without knowing a great deal of info about them other than when the got drafted, height, weight, stats.

Remember Jesse Smith....elite young gun who was fairly dominant for the Roos!

What did he go for?

It was a very late pick wasn't it because he was injury prone? I think Gumby might be valued as slightly higher than that.

Remember Jesse Smith....elite young gun who was fairly dominant for the Roos!

What did he go for?

It was a very late pick wasn't it because he was injury prone? I think Gumby might be valued as slightly higher than that.

IIRC jesse smith was already a crock when St Kilda picked him up. Gumbleton is fit, and he is a key forward. Worth a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back