Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not holding the club to ransom, that was probably a bit strong and yes he owes us nothing.
But if any offer did come what do you think he will do with it, I'm sure it would used to get either another 'playing' year from us or a few more dollars.
He knows the offers to coach will come when he retires anyway, without coaching added to his next playing deal.
I just think its a strange comment from him and journos are already making a story from it, which I don't think is a good look for either Pendles or the club.
And I think your searching for a hook to hang your skepticism on.

I get the feeling they've delayed talks til they get the new coach in and say to Pendles it's a packet of chips to stay because we need to rebuild, and if you want more then exercise your FA right.

Clarkson to Crawford in 04. Oh but no team manages seasons right?

The 1999 Brownlow Medallist opened up on his first meeting with Clarkson and the discussions that took place over brutal list management calls and his role within the team moving forward.

“It wasn’t a happy place especially for myself sort of thinking, ‘I love this place, but I don’t think I can finish my career here. I think I need to clear my head and go somewhere else’, so there was a lot of uncertainty,” Crawford said.

“Obviously ‘Clarko’ comes in and my very first meeting was an interesting meeting, because I was very uncertain about where I wanted to go, and I just didn’t think Hawthorn was that club anymore.

“I sat down with him at Glenferrie Oval … and he said, ‘Listen, I want you to stay around, I’m going to play all these kids, we’re going to draft all these kids and I’m going to play them, and they’re not going to be ready to go. I’d like you to try and help me teach them how to train hard and get them in the right space to hopefully go on and have a career’.

“And then he followed up with, ‘By the way, your good mates who have been very loyal to this footy club and had a crack - I’m going to sack them’. And then on top of that, ‘We’re not going to win many games. We’re going to try, but we’ve got to be realistic about it’.

“I’m like, ‘Do I flip this desk over and start swinging and try and punch him in the head?’ That was literally what was going through my head. I didn’t know what to do.

I think Peter Moore should pick up the phone and have a chat to Pendles. From memory, Peter was the last captain to jump ship. He was booed for years by Collingwood fans and some with long memories right here in BF have never forgiven him. Moore says it's his greatest regret. No doubt he has instilled this into Darcy.
I can't see myself ever slagging off Pendles, but I'll be beyond disappointed if he leaves.

Very different circumstances. Moore was 25 when he left Collingwood. Pendles is 33 and won’t be going off to win a Brownlow with anybody.

Pendles is in his twilight years. Wouldn’t begrudge him at all to organise himself for the next phase of his career.

His mentorship may be very valuable for our young list. Or it may be an impediment to a new leadership group who are striving to take the team into the future.

Whatever will be will be, I won’t be disappointed with whatever happens. Pendles himself is a cold hard rationalist.

Very different circumstances. Moore was 25 when he left Collingwood. Pendles is 33 and won’t be going off to win a Brownlow with anybody.

Pendles is in his twilight years. Wouldn’t begrudge him at all to organise himself for the next phase of his career.

His mentorship may be very valuable for our young list. Or it may be an impediment to a new leadership group who are striving to take the team into the future.

Whatever will be will be, I won’t be disappointed with whatever happens. Pendles himself is a cold hard rationalist.
It was a shame really that Pendles was captain at the same time that Buckley took over the reigns.

They are both - as you say cold hard rationalists - and driven perfectionists.

That gave the players nowhere to turn.

I fully agree that if you need inspiration to play for the side you shouldn't be at the club but that ain't the way kids roll nowadays.

Last edited:
C

Calling someone a cold hard rationalist when it comes to their approach to their footy career is a polite way of saying a self centred , passionless individual.
We have too many of this type at our club.
I still don't understand why Pendlebury needs to get a coaching gig while still playing. Why can't he finish his playing career before seeking a coaching position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles is absolutely one that we need to keep until the end of his playing days, his stewardship will be critical to the younger players coming through. Imagine how much the likes of Macrae and Bianco can learn…
Exactly
Hawthorn had multiple leaders. We can't afford to lose Pendles when we have very few that are capable of the role needed. Sidebottom has been cooked for the last 2 years. Mayne has been tremendous and a big reason he's managed to hold his spot has been his onfield direction and Howe doesn't seem to have the same qualities to direct traffic.

In the word of Yoda
A must keep he is

I think with where our list is at, keeping Pendles on the playing roster for the next 2 years is pretty fundamental to the rejuvenation of our list. Pay him some money as part of the soft cap to coach the mid's during the week. Want Daicos x2; Bianco, Reef, McCrae et al to be glued to Pendles during the off season to learn what it takes to prepare and play AFL at a consistent A grade level.

Sending him to another club makes no sense

I think with where our list is at, keeping Pendles on the playing roster for the next 2 years is pretty fundamental to the rejuvenation of our list. Pay him some money as part of the soft cap to coach the mid's during the week. Want Daicos x2; Bianco, Reef, McCrae et al to be glued to Pendles during the off season to learn what it takes to prepare and play AFL at a consistent A grade level.

Sending him to another club makes no sense

It’s very likely he’ll stay, and the young guys will benefit from his experience, professionalism and ability on-field.

Sidebottom will very likely stay too, but I think we should see what we could get for him in terms of points and cap relief.

It’s very likely he’ll stay, and the young guys will benefit from his experience, professionalism and ability on-field.

Sidebottom will very likely stay too, but I think we should see what we could get for him in terms of points and cap relief.
Time for sidey to move on, football has gone past him and he's become a hinderance.

Calling someone a cold hard rationalist when it comes to their approach to their footy career is a polite way of saying a self centred , passionless individual.

Strongly disagree with that. IMO where somebody sits on the passionate - rationalist scale has nothing to do with how self centred they are.

Do you want your gameday strategists moving the chess pieces around on the chess board in a passionate way or a rational way? If they’re being rational about it, does that mean that they’re also being self centred?

Of course rational people could be self centred, but so could passionate people.

We have too many of this type at our club.

I’m sure all footy clubs would be filled to the brim with folks that project as self centred alpha types. Surely that goes with the territory?

I still don't understand why Pendlebury needs to get a coaching gig while still playing. Why can't he finish his playing career before seeking a coaching position?

It’s being peddled by Jay Clarke (Possibly being put up to it by Pendles’ manager, who knows?). Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge set the precedent. Not unreasonable that to have a well rounded prep for coaching it’d be helpful to have been a part of the inner workings of different clubs?

Strongly disagree with that. IMO where somebody sits on the passionate - rationalist scale has nothing to do with how self centred they are.

Do you want your gameday strategists moving the chess pieces around on the chess board in a passionate way or a rational way? If they’re being rational about it, does that mean that they’re also being self centred?

Of course rational people could be self centred, but so could passionate people.

I’m sure all footy clubs would be filled to the brim with folks that project as self centred alpha types. Surely that goes with the territory?

It’s being peddled by Jay Clarke (Possibly being put up to it by Pendles’ manager, who knows?). Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge set the precedent. Not unreasonable that to have a well rounded prep for coaching it’d be helpful to have been a part of the inner workings of different clubs?
Hodge and Mitchell were sacked. They both wanted to stay at Hawthorn before making the best of a situation forced upon them by Clarkson. Very different scenario.

Hodge and Mitchell were sacked. They both wanted to stay at Hawthorn before making the best of a situation forced upon them by Clarkson. Very different scenario.

Yeah, maybe.

When you’ve just won three Premierships on the trot it’s a little easier to send your aging favourite sons packing without a contract, compared with a club that just finished 17th and has the spectre of an EGM looming over it.

As you say, Pendlebury is different. We’ve offered him a contract. But maybe our contract is so low ball that it’ll have the same effect of pushing Pendlebury out?

If he exercises his FA rights, I reckon we'd get F all back. In all fairness we should get a first rounder, he means that much to us. But I fear he will go and we will get a third rounder.

I seriously doubt Pendles leaves but his vocal and lengthy interview shows to me how dissatisfied he and the playing group at large are with the club's broader vision and strategy (we seem to have none).

It's a genuine disgrace the board is doing literally nothing.

I seriously doubt Pendles leaves but his vocal and lengthy interview shows to me how dissatisfied he and the playing group at large are with the club's broader vision and strategy (we seem to have none).

It's a genuine disgrace the board is doing literally nothing.
Where can I find this interview?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back