Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s still a hangover in relation to the salary cap. We’ve still got some issues we’re dealing with there, but they’re not insurmountable at all,” he (Wright) said on SEN Breakfast.

And no wonder, we are paying half the players in the league to play for other teams for the next couple of years, it's just not cut and dried like you say.

Exactly what does he mean by that?

He'd be perfect off half back with kicking. Hodge style.

Hodge was perfect playing that Hodge off HB role because he was very good 1v1 and could play the HB role.... Pendles.... not so much so.

Hodge was perfect playing that Hodge off HB role because he was very good 1v1 and could play the HB role.... Pendles.... not so much so.

I'd still like to try him there for a 4 week block. If we have Howe and Moore back at half back next year....Pendles could top that line off pretty well. And its about time he learned about defence (if he's gonna be a coach!)...

What compensation would we receive if Pendles left as an unrestricted free agent? (read on Twitter Suns would be a good option)

Would we better trying to work out a “deal” with the Suns? Involve another player or two and get something back?

3/5's of SFA.

Maybe not holding the club to ransom, that was probably a bit strong and yes he owes us nothing.
But if any offer did come what do you think he will do with it, I'm sure it would used to get either another 'playing' year from us or a few more dollars.
He knows the offers to coach will come when he retires anyway, without coaching added to his next playing deal.
I just think its a strange comment from him and journos are already making a story from it, which I don't think is a good look for either Pendles or the club.

Don't have to guess, he said he'd look at it.

Doesn't commit him to any course of action.

Doesn't mean he's playing games to try and squeeze extra into the 1 year offer at the Pies.

It's exactly what he says, he'd look at it. Already has an offer on the table from us. I doubt we'd stand in his way if he wanted to explore the coaching pathway elsewhere.

Nothing strange about his comment.

I think Peter Moore should pick up the phone and have a chat to Pendles. From memory, Peter was the last captain to jump ship. He was booed for years by Collingwood fans and some with long memories right here in BF have never forgiven him. Moore says it's his greatest regret. No doubt he has instilled this into Darcy.
I can't see myself ever slagging off Pendles, but I'll be beyond disappointed if he leaves.
We should interview him for playing coach, Pendles has been our hero for years

Don't have to guess, he said he'd look at it.

Doesn't commit him to any course of action.

Doesn't mean he's playing games to try and squeeze extra into the 1 year offer at the Pies.

It's exactly what he says, he'd look at it. Already has an offer on the table from us. I doubt we'd stand in his way if he wanted to explore the coaching pathway elsewhere.

Nothing strange about his comment.

I think its's very strange coming from the club's captain. Again, what do the kids make of it. They look up to him as a champion and leader and he is letting it be known he would be open to offers and if the right one came along walk out of our club and play for someone else. If he was 27 and had not experienced any success I would be angry if he thought about moving like Tom Lynch did, but at least I'd understand. But he is 33 and the club is crying out for some leadership and hope. The captain is supposed to provide both. Surely he could have said, "I am very keen to be a one club player and I am considering an offer at the moment." I really don't understand why he mentioned the possibility of leaving. He is an adept media performer. When they ask he could simply deflect and say I'm sure I will come to an agreement with the club.

I heard his comments and thought WTF is going on. You don't advertise yourself like this. His manager should be making inquiries behind closed doors.

There has been no commentary that the club instigated this so I think its all pretty crap TBH.

I heard his comments and thought WTF is going on. You don't advertise yourself like this. His manager should be making inquiries behind closed doors.

There has been no commentary that the club instigated this so I think its all pretty crap TBH.
I doubt there has been a more loyal servant of the club Penders so instead of thinking 'that's pretty crap' I'm thinking 'what a stunning revelation into the undocumented player discontent with the inner workings of the club'.
If a truly loyal servant such as Pendles can be driven to such lengths then that for me is a worrying indicator that we haven't seen the worst behind the smoke and mirrors yet.

I doubt there has been a more loyal servant of the club Penders so instead of thinking 'that's pretty crap' I'm thinking 'what a stunning revelation into the undocumented player discontent with the inner workings of the club'.
If a truly loyal servant such as Pendles can be driven to such lengths then that for me is a worrying indicator that we haven't seen the worst behind the smoke and mirrors yet.
Extremely concerning how this is panning out. Maybe the club is now making an FU statement. If you don't like it then FU. Right sentiment, wrong player I think though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles would be in the same boat as the club and supporters, there's no window for him, if he has a chance to pursue the next stage of his career he should.

Extremely concerning how this is panning out. Maybe the club is now making an FU statement. If you don't like it then FU. Right sentiment, wrong player I think though.
It's disturbing alright, you won't find a more genuine or understated guy that Pendles and that interview should send shock waves through players considering a move to Collingwood.

It's disturbing alright, you won't find a more genuine or understated guy that Pendles and that interview should send shock waves through players considering a move to Collingwood.
If its about 1 vs 2 years give him 2 but ask him to reduce by $100k each year. He gets security and we reduce cap. No idea what he is on or what he is asking but seems reasonable to accept less for longer

If its about 1 vs 2 years give him 2 but ask him to reduce by $100k each year. He gets security and we reduce cap. No idea what he is on or what he is asking but seems reasonable to accept less for longer
Generally the way it works.

400-500 k a year. And that’s being generous.

Pendles would be in the same boat as the club and supporters, there's no window for him, if he has a chance to pursue the next stage of his career he should.

Not when your captain and the club is practically at its lowest. If he left now, it would look more like jumping ship before it sinks completely. When your the captain and the leader of the club, you stay to fight the fight. Coaching roles can happen in the next 2 to 3 years....

I doubt there has been a more loyal servant of the club …

Yeah, there was that bloke who played for Collingwood in the 90’s without pay because he didn’t need the money.

Wish I could remember who it was?

Not when your captain and the club is practically at its lowest. If he left now, it would look more like jumping ship before it sinks completely. When your the captain and the leader of the club, you stay to fight the fight. Coaching roles can happen in the next 2 to 3 years....
He's already said he wants to hand the captaincy over, no one would begrudge him the next stage of his career.

He's already said he wants to hand the captaincy over, no one would begrudge him the next stage of his career.

Well he is still Captain at this stage, and is Captain when making the comments. He is not only the Captain, but a leader in general of the club. It would be hugely disappointing if he left now, when the club needs him the most. He will walk into a coaching role in 2 or 3 years time, at any club. To me he was practically advertising himself in a media interview, which l thought was pretty ordinary.

Jake Niall always puts together quality pieces regarding us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back