Scott v Hinkley: Who would you rather?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley. To his credit, Hinkley has either developed or revamped numerous players within the club to become quality contributors. Wines, Houston, Amon, Bergman, Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Byrne-Jones, Marshall and Georgiadis are all contributing to a top 4 side having been developed internally.

Scott has nowhere near that track record.

Scott by miles.
He is smarter, and more tactically adept, better organised, than Hinkley.

There is a flaw in Scott's approach though, can't quite put my finger on it, he may be too reactive to other teams strengths rather than claiming his own MO that says catch me if you can. All the fidgeting is to beat lasy year's premiers but not this year's.

Scott's coaching in 2011 may be under rated. Cats had been obliterated in the previous year's PF. The team and coach looked lost for any answers. In comes Scott, marshalls forces, reinvigorates them, and they beat convincingly their nemesis of the year before.

Hinkley had a quick impact on Port, it seemed to me to be based on attitude, attack, energy, confidence, and the cerebral side was missing.

They both look tired. Large smashings in PFs hurt. Good sides can recover though. Id back Scott to learn more quickly from the loss than Ken.

Tier 1:Hardwick, Clarko
Tier 1a: Bevo
Tier 2: Simpson, Longmire, Scott, Hinkley, Fagan?

Goodwin has a chance to move up. Anyone from any other club back their coach over Scott or Kenny? Rutten had a great first year. Ratten's clearly solid. Longmuir has promise as does Noble.

Kenny: great players coach, teaches skills really well, teaches ball movement, works well within a department to recruit players and make bold list choices

Scott: churns out wins, prolonged the careers of his stars, defends his players, has kept a team up for a crazy amount of time

2011 flag was a very good coaching performance - even if the chess pieces were all in place, as was leading Richmond for a half in 2020. Same goes for Kenny building Port in to a contender twice. I think half the clubs in the league would be pretty happy to have either of them.

What the **** was Hinkley even doing in the prelim. every time they cut to him he was just sitting there with his arms folded. coach you ****ing gimp,
do something!

still better than sook scott though.

David Teague.

Hinkley. To his credit, Hinkley has either developed or revamped numerous players within the club to become quality contributors. Wines, Houston, Amon, Bergman, Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Byrne-Jones, Marshall and Georgiadis are all contributing to a top 4 side having been developed internally.

Wingard was on track to be the best player in the comp but Hinkley couldn't coach him and now he's at Hawthorn.

Dougs would've been handy down back last night but he got traded out because the club (Ken) only saw him as a forward because everything about his career says that makes sense.

Say what you want about the guy's ability to kick a ball but John Butcher was tracking OK and Hinkley destroyed his career when he kept dropping him whenever Butch was finally finding form.

Almost ruined Boak's career shifting him to a forward flank where he was next to useless for years until last year when he finally moved back to the middle.

Wasted Ryder's first year here when he was played forward to accommodate *checks notes* Matthew Lobbe in the ruck.

Not to mention the games gifted to a grey haired and immobile Lindsay Thomas, Jack Trengove on one foot, Sam ****ing Gray and Jimmy Toumpas.

Then there's the wasted years of 2015-2016, losing to WCE in that EF in 2017, missing out on finals in 2018, missing out on finals in 2019 AFTER being 11-4 and now last night. The guy's an absolute hack of a coach and should've been ****ed off 4 years ago.

I also think Scott gets a bit too much shit sometimes considering most of his team are above average contributors rather than out and out stars like Geelong were under Bomber 10 years ago. Dangerfield, Hawkins, Stewart, Duncan, Selwood and to a lesser extent Blicavs and Parfitt are all elite or close to it but outside that group how many of Friday night's players actually make a Top 4 side? Atkins? Close? Stanley? Henderson? Rohan? Simpson? Miers? God no.

Footy is a game of inches. One kick cost Buckley a flag. One kick, twice, cost Ross Lyon 2 flags. If Dusty didn’t put in a performance for the ages, Scott could be a 2 time premiership coach. Port last a prelim last year by a kick to the eventual premier. A lot has to go right to win it all. Flags aren’t the only criterion for measuring a good coach.

Wingard was on track to be the best player in the comp but Hinkley couldn't coach him and now he's at Hawthorn.

Dougs would've been handy down back last night but he got traded out because the club (Ken) only saw him as a forward because everything about his career says that makes sense.

Say what you want about the guy's ability to kick a ball but John Butcher was tracking OK and Hinkley destroyed his career when he kept dropping him whenever Butch was finally finding form.

Almost ruined Boak's career shifting him to a forward flank where he was next to useless for years until last year when he finally moved back to the middle.

Wasted Ryder's first year here when he was played forward to accommodate *checks notes* Matthew Lobbe in the ruck.

Not to mention the games gifted to a grey haired and immobile Lindsay Thomas, Jack Trengove on one foot, Sam ******* Gray and Jimmy Toumpas.

Then there's the wasted years of 2015-2016, losing to WCE in that EF in 2017, missing out on finals in 2018, missing out on finals in 2019 AFTER being 11-4 and now last night. The guy's an absolute hack of a coach and should've been f’ed off 4 years ago.

I also think Scott gets a bit too much sh*t sometimes considering most of his team are above average contributors rather than out and out stars like Geelong were under Bomber 10 years ago. Dangerfield, Hawkins, Stewart, Duncan, Selwood and to a lesser extent Blicavs and Parfitt are all elite or close to it but outside that group how many of Friday night's players actually make a Top 4 side? Atkins? Close? Stanley? Henderson? Rohan? Simpson? Miers? God no.

Sure when you say it like that...

The choice between these coaches is just a matter of as a fan, what way do you wanna be left disappointed, would you rather always make the prelim but always be beaten by sides that win the grand finals, which as Geelong fan you can kind of get used to as Geelong do it every year under scotts regime, or do you want a coach that has no recognisable style and badly mismanages/develops his players with high potential, which again is very frustrating. I'd probably rather Hinkley, because you know he's gonna have a roller coaster of a time coaching your side, as its unpredictable where Port finishes, so if he does a bad job you can justify sacking him, whereas Scott is more likely to guarantee your side top 8 finishes every season, so from a business perspective of a clubs point of view, on paper he'd be doing a great job, and will have misleading stats like he's always got Geelong finishing top 4, but in reality he should be questioned how many premierships he's fluffed with that Geelong super team.

That’s pretty fair , but the other side of the coin is that geelong had more opportunities to win a game than gws
and Geleong got lucky playing GWS without Toby Greene , Hogan, Tom Green and Finlayson. Otherwise it 0-2 for finals this season, imo.

If had to choose it becomes scary because Chris Scott can coach but he says it is a grind. Not sure want to take on a coach that been doing it over a decade and calls it a grind...

Then looking at Hinkley body language in coaching box he just comes across as having no answers when things go a bit pear shaped. I prefer a coach that at least knows why things go wrong and confidence of addressing them and improving. Both coaches know how to get teams into finals but winning big ones, has not been their strong suit.

Chris Scott would be a great senior assistant coach as it removes him from the grind of head coach but still gets his experiences of helping ease the load of a head coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think it might be worth the 2 clubs swapping coaches.

I rate Hinkley on his development of players. If Geelong need to do a mini rebuild he might be the man. Who have Geelong drafted and developed under Scott? Look at their best/recent players.. mostly traded in or were already at the club in 2011.. Tom Stewart, Blicavs and Tim Kelly were mature age pickups... So the best player Scott drafted as an 18yo and developed is Jed Bews?

But tactically Scott might do wonders with the Port list. Turn Adelaide Oval into a fortress and maybe take the next step

"I rate Hinkley on his development of players". If Geelong need to do a mini rebuild he might be the man. Who have Geelong drafted and developed under Scott? Look at their best/recent players.. mostly traded in or were already at the club in 2011.. Tom Stewart, Blicavs and Tim Kelly were mature age pickups... So the best player Scott drafted as an 18yo and developed is Jed Bews?

But tactically Scott might do wonders with the Port list. Turn Adelaide Oval into a fortress and maybe take the next step

I rate Hinkley on his development of players. If Geelong need to do a mini rebuild he might be the man. Who have Geelong drafted and developed under Scott? Look at their best/recent players.. mostly traded in or were already at the club in 2011.. Tom Stewart, Blicavs and Tim Kelly were mature age pickups... So the best player Scott drafted as an 18yo and developed is Jed Bews?

Only half agree. Hearing Scott talking recently I think he needs a break from coaching. Hinkley going to Geelong might be great move for him and Geelong at same time and he improve as a coach and take them on re-build out of the Hawkins/Selwood and Dangerfield era into something else in coming decade.

Not to mention the games gifted to a grey haired and immobile Lindsay Thomas, Jack Trengove on one foot, Sam ******* Gray and Jimmy Toumpas.

Then there's the wasted years of 2015-2016, losing to WCE in that EF in 2017, missing out on finals in 2018, missing out on finals in 2019 AFTER being 11-4 and now last night. The guy's an absolute hack of a coach and should've been f’ed off 4 years ago.

I also think Scott gets a bit too much sh*t sometimes considering most of his team are above average contributors rather than out and out stars like Geelong were under Bomber 10 years ago. Dangerfield, Hawkins, Stewart, Duncan, Selwood and to a lesser extent Blicavs and Parfitt are all elite or close to it but outside that group how many of Friday night's players actually make a Top 4 side? Atkins? Close? Stanley? Henderson? Rohan? Simpson? Miers? God no.
I mean you say that, and I get the frustration, but Wingard hasn’t set the world on fire at Hawthorn either, and some players do end up needing the fresh start to come on and never would have succeeded at their original club. Everyone is blasting the Saints for the Hind call right now but sometimes a coaching group loses sight of the talent; we have been the beneficiary of that with Brown.

And the comparison to Scott - Danger and Selwood were elite already. Hawkins wasn’t, fair, but everyone knew the talent was there. But the thing is he just hasn’t developed anyone close to what Hinkley has in terms of sheer numbers. Has Hinkley had misses or stuffed players up? Yep, but so has Scott. But because Scott is burning the creds on old guys it’s way worse.

And Trengove is the saddest story in footy. Could be playing in a grand final right now, that injury ruined him.

List-wise Hinkley has a lot less to work with, and he never had the quality of Ablett, Hawkins and Danger drop in his lap. Further, Port have always struggled a bit for cash.

Scott has obviously done pretty well, but he doesnt seem great with Plan Bs - bit like his brother in that regard.

Hinkley for me.

I do feel a bit sorry for Chris as I feel like he didn't get enough credit for the flag with the "It was still Bomber's list that he developed" narrative.

However, his newish media personality of "saying a lot without saying anything at all" schtick quite tiresome.

I do feel a bit sorry for Chris as I feel like he didn't get enough credit for the flag with the "It was still Bomber's list that he developed" narrative.

However, his newish media personality of "saying a lot without saying anything at all" schtick quite tiresome.
People say the same about Alan Joyce and he coached 2 premierships.

I mean you say that, and I get the frustration, but Wingard hasn’t set the world on fire at Hawthorn either, and some players do end up needing the fresh start to come on and never would have succeeded at their original club. Everyone is blasting the Saints for the Hind call right now but sometimes a coaching group loses sight of the talent; we have been the beneficiary of that with Brown.

Wingard was going fine with us even with injury concerns. Word is Clarko had been in his ear for years so he probably would've left anyway but it's fair to say Ken didn't help there.

And the comparison to Scott - Danger and Selwood were elite already. Hawkins wasn’t, fair, but everyone knew the talent was there. But the thing is he just hasn’t developed anyone close to what Hinkley has in terms of sheer numbers. Has Hinkley had misses or stuffed players up? Yep, but so has Scott. But because Scott is burning the creds on old guys it’s way worse.

Stewart, Blicavs, Duncan, Kelly, Menegola and a number of others have all become good to great players under Scott's watch. Would say a player is likely to get to a higher level playing under Scott than Hinkley and I rate our players more than Geelong's list.

And Trengove is the saddest story in footy. Could be playing in a grand final right now, that injury ruined him.

No disagreements here with me on that one. Should still be playing for one of us right now as one of the gun mids in the comp.

Our list is not even in the same ballpark from 07-11 and we were Richmond’s biggest threat. It’s unbelievable how weak the competition is.
I find it staggering how people talk up our list yet bag the age. They are all past their best so he has done a remarkable job imo. We have so many ordinary players.
Scott will coach one more year and probably do well again. We need our best players fit and firing unlike this year where our best Duncan, Danger, Cameron all missed half the year. Stewart missed the end part, than O’Connor and Parfitt get injured also. We had no hope and like it or lump it they were struck down with a virus.

In saying this I think the end should come for Scotty, I don’t even think he likes young players and I’m sure has said can’t understand why they would want to hang out with someone double their age.
In this day and age kids need to be hugged all the bloody time and Scott has no time for it so imo his career as coach is near the end.

I rate Scott but his time is up, won’t get a young team to play for him and I want to get back to watching Geelong play with flair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott v Hinkley: Who would you rather?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back