Season 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright lets have a mis season wash up and crystal ball look. feel free to contribute.
best side so far- easily Mitta
Premier end of year- easily Mitta
Biggest surprise- Beechworth
Biggest disappointment- 11 other sides for taking on the Mitta challenge
Top 3 Mitta, KSC, DMB
Biggest 2nd half slider Tallangatta, Beechworth chiltern
Biggest 2nd half improver barny DMB Thurgoona
Barton Medal Day (KSC) Cassidy (Chiltern) Goonan (DMB)
Roughy Wightman (Thurg) Halliday(Beechworth
End of season headline you will see: Mitta win 5 in a row
End of season headline you won't see: Richardson to succeed Bone at KSC
5 Mitta, KSC, DMB, Barny, Beech
Not likely there tiger you need to have a good rapore with the umps. Plus too slow and too lazy

best side so far- Mitta
Premier end of year- Kiewa
Biggest disappointment- Yack
Top 3 Mitta, KSC, Beechworth
Biggest 2nd half slider Tallangatta, Yack, Barny
Biggest 2nd half improver Wahygunyah, DMB, Thurgoona
Barton Medal Day KSC, Slater Mitta, Osborne Wahgunyah
Roughy Wightman Thurgoona, Knight KSC
End of season headline you will see: Kiewa vs Beechworth Grand Final, Probably not but we need a change from Mitta:D
End of season headline you won't see: Kiewa boys in trouble again for riding the bagagge carousels at the airport!
Top 5 Kiewa, Beechworth, Mitta, Tallangatta, Wahygunyah
You have Tallangatta doing some funny things there Cammo, biggest slider then finishing fourth:confused:

Alright lets have a mis season wash up and crystal ball look. feel free to contribute.
best side so far- easily Mitta
Premier end of year- easily Mitta
Biggest disappointment- 11 other sides for taking on the Mitta challenge
Top 3 Mitta, KSC, DMB
Biggest 2nd half slider Tallangatta, Beechworth chiltern
Biggest 2nd half improver barny DMB Thurgoona
Barton Medal Day (KSC) Cassidy (Chiltern) Goonan (DMB)
Roughy Wightman (Thurg) Halliday(Beechworth
End of season headline you will see: Mitta win 5 in a row
End of season headline you won't see: Richardson to succeed Bone at KSC
5 Mitta, KSC, DMB, Barny, Beech
Agree with all of it except the barton medal surely the ever reliable mark "cyril " Jones will win his first of many league medals he is quickly becoming the best utility in the compition.
Keep on keeping on jnr boy from club sunset:thumbsu:;)

Don't know about that ther GB go to the Tallangatta website look at competitions then look at team stats it shows team's average scoring for home and away games it clearly shows that there is a home ground advantage. Tell me do you think a chiltern or a thurgoona have a home ground advantage at there homes:cool:

Interesting..... I admit I have not made any statistical analysis to back up my opinion. So you may have a point. But just because a team averages more points does not necessarilly always mean that they always win. As you would know, different levels of scores win different games on various given days.

Perhaps a team may have a slight advantage from being used to the specific dynamics of their home gound. Or perhaps some teams find a bit of extra motivation when playing in front of their "locals". Which leads me to think that any advantage comes from mental approach.

But I still think that the better team (both overall and on the day) will win most games regardless of the venue.

Best side so far- Mitta
Premier end of year- Beechworth
Biggest surprise So Far- Chiltern
Biggest disappointment So Far- Thurgoona & Yack
Top 3 Mitta, Beechworth, KSC
Biggest 2nd half slider Chiltern,
Biggest 2nd half improver Yack (just look at their draw after Mitta)
Barton Medal - C.Cassidy(Chilt), S.Bradshaw(Barny), J.Culph(Mitta)
Roughy H.Northey (Wah), J.Pashley(TV), B.Surrey(Beech)
End of season headline you will see: Beechworth Upset Mitta in the 2008 TDFL Grand Final
End of season headline you won't see: Wodonga Saints Relocate back to Bethanga
5 Mitta, Beechworth, KSC, DMB, Yack

Best side so far- Mitta
Premier end of year- Mitta
Biggest disappointment So Far- Yack
Top 3 Mitta, KSC, Beech
Biggest 2nd half slider Tallangatta
Biggest 2nd half improver Wahgunyah
Barton Medal - Day (KSC), Cassidy (Chil)
Roughy Osbourne (Wah), Surrey (Beech)
End of season headline you will see: Surprise Barton Medal winner ......
End of season headline you won't see: Saints apply to be admitted into the O&M
5 Mitta, KSC, Beech, DMB, Chil

This thread is almost dead. Hopefully this will act as a bit of a catalyst.

BEECHWORTH V's CHILTERN - The former O&K rivals will do battle in what shapes up to be match of the round. Both teams HATE losing ot each other and the result from this battle could prove critical come finals time.
Player to watch - Tiarnan 'Look at me' Halliday will be expecting to cash in on Chilterns lack of class in the backline.
Verdict Beechworth by 18pts.

MITTA V's YACK - Yack have been the disapointment package of the season so far. They spent up big in the off season and have failed to deliver on pre-season hype. They have a favourable draw after this game and will be merely hoping to get through the weekends game without injuries.
Players to watch - The Nelson boys have returned from a trip to Thailand and the reflexes will be sharp after some 'lively ping pong' practice.
Verdict Mitta far too strong at Mitta

RUTHERGLEN V's KIEWA - The only question here is Kiewa by how much. The answer is f*%ken heaps.
Players to watch - Julian 'Which club next' Day will be up against his old team and will be keen to show them what they're missing out on.
Verdict Kiewa by 85 points

TALLANGATTA V's SAINTS - The traffic jam for fifth spot is about to intensify and Tallangatta will be keen to boost their percentage this week. Saints can't get supporters in Wodonga and I doubt they'll get them in Tallangatta.
Players to watch - Bradshaw and Jones to turn it on for the hoppers and finally show the supporters what they've been waiting to see.
Verdict Tallangatta by 100 points

DEDERANG V's WAHGUNYAH - Dederang returns to their Native ground and we'll be keen to flex some muscle against the newcomers. Both teams have players under injury clouds and whoever has the legs in the last will come away with the points.
Players to watch - Osbourne has been in 'white hot' form for Wahgunyah and will be looking forward to slugging it out against the Bombers.
Dederang by 2 in a thriller.

BARNAWARTHA V's THURGOONA - The Tigers will be keen to do some damage as they step up their campaign for finals action. A defeat for the Dogs will cancel out their chances of playing finals much to the delight of almost everyone.
Player to watch - Danny DeMarte will cut thurgoona to pieces if he's left to his own resources.
Verdict "Nic-Nac Paddy-whack give a DOG a bone. F*#k off Thurgoona, F%#k off home".

Any comments?

Best side so far- Mitta & Kiewa (nothing between them)
Premier end of year- Kiewa
Biggest disappointment So Far- Thurgoona
Top 3 Kiewa, Mitta, Beech
Biggest 2nd half slider Chiltern
Biggest 2nd half improver Tallangatta
Barton Medal - Day (KSC), Goonan (DMB), Hansford (Tall)
Roughy(is a tool) , Knight (KSC), DURYEA (WAH)
End of season headline you will see: Record Grand Final Crowd
End of season headline you won't see: Mitta gracious in defeat
5 Kiewa, Mitta, Beech, DMB, (God knows??)Tallangatta??

This thread is almost dead. Hopefully this will act as a bit of a catalyst.

BEECHWORTH V's CHILTERN - The former O&K rivals will do battle in what shapes up to be match of the round. Both teams HATE losing ot each other and the result from this battle could prove critical come finals time.
Player to watch - Tiarnan 'Look at me' Halliday will be expecting to cash in on Chilterns lack of class in the backline.
Verdict Beechworth by 18pts.

MITTA V's YACK - Yack have been the disapointment package of the season so far. They spent up big in the off season and have failed to deliver on pre-season hype. They have a favourable draw after this game and will be merely hoping to get through the weekends game without injuries.
Players to watch - The Nelson boys have returned from a trip to Thailand and the reflexes will be sharp after some 'lively ping pong' practice.
Verdict Mitta far too strong at Mitta

RUTHERGLEN V's KIEWA - The only question here is Kiewa by how much. The answer is f*%ken heaps.
Players to watch - Julian 'Which club next' Day will be up against his old team and will be keen to show them what they're missing out on.
Verdict Kiewa by 85 points

TALLANGATTA V's SAINTS - The traffic jam for fifth spot is about to intensify and Tallangatta will be keen to boost their percentage this week. Saints can't get supporters in Wodonga and I doubt they'll get them in Tallangatta.
Players to watch - Bradshaw and Jones to turn it on for the hoppers and finally show the supporters what they've been waiting to see.
Verdict Tallangatta by 100 points

DEDERANG V's WAHGUNYAH - Dederang returns to their Native ground and we'll be keen to flex some muscle against the newcomers. Both teams have players under injury clouds and whoever has the legs in the last will come away with the points.
Players to watch - Osbourne has been in 'white hot' form for Wahgunyah and will be looking forward to slugging it out against the Bombers.
Dederang by 2 in a thriller.

BARNAWARTHA V's THURGOONA - The Tigers will be keen to do some damage as they step up their campaign for finals action. A defeat for the Dogs will cancel out their chances of playing finals much to the delight of almost everyone.
Player to watch - Danny DeMarte will cut thurgoona to pieces if he's left to his own resources.
Verdict "Nic-Nac Paddy-whack give a DOG a bone. F*#k off Thurgoona, F%#k off home".

Any comments?

2 Questions, 1 Why the hate for Thurgoona? & 2, Whats with the Halliday comment?

Hey boys, just noticed the MVP award in the Border, does anyone know how the votes are done? And is there a website where I could see the game by game votes from this year?
Cheers lads.

Hey boys, just noticed the MVP award in the Border, does anyone know how the votes are done? And is there a website where I could see the game by game votes from this year?
Cheers lads.
Done by opposition timekeepers buddy, so pretty much up for grabs each week. General idea is winning team gets the 3 and 1 and the loser gets 2 votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any comments?[/quote]

Interesting comment Mate with Thurgoona. Should probably generate some discussion if this part had merit. Anyway question to you and everyone who hates Thurgoona. I am new to the dogs and from what I have learnt that in the past 2 years we have a brand new committee, newish coach and an influx of new players effectively creating a brand new team, and then to top that off we are also about to have an oval upgrade. Why does everyone hate Thurgoona so much. So anyone out there who can write a sensible answer with merit other than the old inbred..****wit answers etc etc, i would love to see the reasonings please?

Any comments?

Interesting comment Mate with Thurgoona. Should probably generate some discussion if this part had merit. Anyway question to you and everyone who hates Thurgoona. I am new to the dogs and from what I have learnt that in the past 2 years we have a brand new committee, newish coach and an influx of new players effectively creating a brand new team, and then to top that off we are also about to have an oval upgrade. Why does everyone hate Thurgoona so much. So anyone out there who can write a sensible answer with merit other than the old inbred..****wit answers etc etc, i would love to see the reasonings please?[/quote]
I dont neccesarily think that is the case Homebake.I reckon the majority would commend Thurgoona on getting it's act together especially off the ground.I think on this site if you pop your head up it will pretty quickly get chopped off;most of the condescending remarks probably come from the regular posts submitted on this site last year as Thurgoona were playing well-(even had their own site ).The concern in 08 has been their slide back down the ladder to the bottom tier of clubs.They have escaped a great deal of the spotlight and Saturday is probably their last chance to stake a finals claim.Maybe you could offer some insight as to why they have slipped back down the ladder Homebake.(By the way i am tipping they will win this week.)

i'll have a crack at answering for you. Last year of course was a huge climb for thurgoona up the ladder one that caught everyone including as i have on good authority there coach and committee, but with the list that they had it isn't such a surprise to everyone else.
They in fact two years ago had them selves a 5 year plan nd what they achieved last year wasn't really expected until there 3rd or 4th or even 5th year.
as for this year obviously like evry club player losses have hurt although the club is proud of the fact 3 of there players have gone onto make O and M debuts this year and are having an impact in the O and M i'm talking about Moscher, Watson and Hunter. before people jump up and down and say every club loses players you have to replace them. bare in mind that they lost Moscher in january, watson in late March as well as new recruits Price (to coolongatta with work) in March and lately Tim Pierpoint (broadbeach). These losses came at a time when it was too late in the pre-season to try and replace.
But in being fair to everyone else the competition in my eyes has improved with the likes of DMB, Beechworth and Yack throwing there hands up.
The club who i have on very good authority is in very good shape in all aspects and is very well lead by the President and Coach and still has that longer term vision in mind.
I do believe as mentioned earlier that the total ground redevelopment has been approved by council to commence maybe before the seasons end and that the pllans for the re-development are on the clubs website.
In terms of people on here holding the club for having there own thread on BF i think you will find that the thread was in fact started by people not directly involved in the club even though the odd member did comment on it i cab promise you no one at the kennell is getting ahead of themselves.
I think its fantastic that there is not an automatic 4 points and 10 to 20% when you come up against the dogs, just a hard tough good game of country footy, which is what it's all about!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

i'll have a crack at answering for you. Last year of course was a huge climb for thurgoona up the ladder one that caught everyone including as i have on good authority there coach and committee, but with the list that they had it isn't such a surprise to everyone else.
They in fact two years ago had them selves a 5 year plan nd what they achieved last year wasn't really expected until there 3rd or 4th or even 5th year.
as for this year obviously like evry club player losses have hurt although the club is proud of the fact 3 of there players have gone onto make O and M debuts this year and are having an impact in the O and M i'm talking about Moscher, Watson and Hunter. before people jump up and down and say every club loses players you have to replace them. bare in mind that they lost Moscher in january, watson in late March as well as new recruits Price (to coolongatta with work) in March and lately Tim Pierpoint (broadbeach). These losses came at a time when it was too late in the pre-season to try and replace.
But in being fair to everyone else the competition in my eyes has improved with the likes of DMB, Beechworth and Yack throwing there hands up.
The club who i have on very good authority is in very good shape in all aspects and is very well lead by the President and Coach and still has that longer term vision in mind.
I do believe as mentioned earlier that the total ground redevelopment has been approved by council to commence maybe before the seasons end and that the pllans for the re-development are on the clubs website.
In terms of people on here holding the club for having there own thread on BF i think you will find that the thread was in fact started by people not directly involved in the club even though the odd member did comment on it i cab promise you no one at the kennell is getting ahead of themselves.
I think its fantastic that there is not an automatic 4 points and 10 to 20% when you come up against the dogs, just a hard tough good game of country footy, which is what it's all about!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

This is the best post on this site for a very long time. I've got nothing to do with Thurgoona but surely the whole league, including players and supporters should be happy Thurgoona are working on becoming a long term competitive outfit. Anyone bagging Thurgoona for any success has no concerns for the long term future of country football.

Good luck to them I say.

This is the best post on this site for a very long time. I've got nothing to do with Thurgoona but surely the whole league, including players and supporters should be happy Thurgoona are working on becoming a long term competitive outfit. Anyone bagging Thurgoona for any success has no concerns for the long term future of country football.

Good luck to them I say.
Is there coach contracted in 09 or will they be on the lookout for a new one?Would be perfect timing to maybe get an O&M player with a bit of profile who could drag 3 or 4 with him ala Kiewa or Mitta.There are a lot of players living in Thurgoona so that might be the next step from middle of the road to serious contenders.

Short retirement there Cammo.
Couple of goals in the comeback game.
Just interested how the knee pulled up and and if there is room for U,Micko and Timba in Kiewas forward line?:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yeah mate was vey short lived, knee pulled up well but the lungs where hurting. Had a sly trip to my surgeon in melbourne a couple of weeks ago and after a long chat decided that i might as well keep going till it completley gives up the ghost,which it just about has but is hoding together by a bees dick. One thing he guaranteed me is I will need a knee replacement in 5 years, so i might as well soldier on till then.
As for our forward line I not quite sure who Timba is(Dineen?) but Micko and I work extremley well together and if you throw Richo in there should be very dangerous and hard to match up on:D

Yeah mate was vey short lived, knee pulled up well but the lungs where hurting. Had a sly trip to my surgeon in melbourne a couple of weeks ago and after a long chat decided that i might as well keep going till it completley gives up the ghost,which it just about has but is hoding together by a bees dick. One thing he guaranteed me is I will need a knee replacement in 5 years, so i might as well soldier on till then.
As for our forward line I not quite sure who Timba is(Dineen?) but Micko and I work extremley well together and if you throw Richo in there should be very dangerous and hard to match up on:D

Yeah Timba is Dinneen but he would also make your very potent seconds forward line even more potent.Good luck hope the knee lasts the season .

May i gave BArny a big :thumbsu: :thumbsu: for the improvements they have made to the facilities out there. Was great playing out there and not having to go via albury base to be vaccinated after spending time in the visitors room. Even the playing surface was as good as we have played on in the past few years. Made for a good game just a shame the result wasn't reversed.

I have noticed Al Whitsed playing 2nds for the past few weeks for KSC. This was a bit of a suprise I thought. Has he had poor form, a fallout with the coach, not been training??? Perhaps someone from Kiewa could answer. From what I believe he has been pretty devoted to KSC over the past few years and is definately of senior calibre.

Most games this weekend seemed fairly predictable, but the last quarter with the tigers and dogs must have been a cracker - 1 goal for the term, and a 4 point margin. How did it look to those who were there?

Only surprise to come out of the round was Chiltern knocking off Beechworth in a clash of the old O&K rivals. looks like the swans were terrible kicking for goal but still managing to overrun a solid side in Beechworth late in the game.
It seems Beechworth must shore up their final quarter efforts, thats 2 in a row now where they have been beaten soundly in the last quarter. They showed last round they are a good side, but need to rectify this final quarter problem in a hurry to be genuine flag contenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back