season 2009 starts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

OK boys, a few predictions flying around, what about we all put in our season predictions and see how we look at the end of the year.

Ladder:
Surprise packet:
Disappointment:
Barton Medal:
Leading goalkicker:
Rising star (Under 20):
Best new recruit:
Headline you'd like to see:

OK boys, a few predictions flying around, what about we all put in our season predictions and see how we look at the end of the year.

Ladder: Kiewa, Mitta, Tall, DMB, Thur
Surprise packet: Thur/Wah
Disappointment:Yack
Barton Medal: Rhodes (i think he still at Kiewa??)
Leading goalkicker: Todd Miller
Rising star (Under 20): Cameron Gilchrist
Best new recruit: D. Hargreaves
Headline you'd like to see: 'Derek Murray is the new Todd Miller'.

Any news/reports from prac matches of late? Im only aware of thur v howling fri night at albury sports ground. Anyone got any news on best players, scores, etc from that game or any others?

MARQUEE ground....the photos look good & full credit to you for getting something done to the ground, but my question is - how much bigger is it going to be? Cause by the pics it wont be that much and as we all know it was a matchbox size ground to start with. And what about parking? Seems as if there will be even less than before, what will that do for crowd numbers on a wet day.
Your comments on Tallangatta could not be further from the truth - a squillion dollars hey.... The hoppers would spend less than so many other clubs you would be so so suprised. DMB spending more on their coach than hoppers have for last 6 years. And you know what happens when you get some players that have mates, well...... they want to play together at one club and this is what has happened here with Wodonga boys.
Premeirship is the furthest thing from hoppers mind at the moment, but being competitve is, playing talented youngsters & improving the club as a whole which Thurgoona is continuing to do. We should hope for a even, tough high standard competition, where every team goes well. Dont feel sorry for Tallangatta as we at hopper land know the full story and will continue to provide a safe fun place for the community to play & watch the great game of Aussie rules.

I say marquee ground with tongue in cheek kickittome, clearly so many other grounds in the league in better knick. When it's ready to go it'll be significantly bigger. The goals obviously won't stay where they are as the ground will be put around on a further angle which will allow us to push the posts back.
With the netball courts being put on the other side of the ground closer to the main road this year, it will allow for significant parking where the current netball courts are, so not to much of a problem in fact it'll probably increase it.
As for Tallangatta, I'm passing comment as it widely discussed around the traps with some of your new recruits happy to discuss their financial affairs. Good to see your club improving though and I'm glad you've set the record straight for me Kickittome, I can assure you it won't rate another mention from me.

Ladder: Kiewa, Tallangatta, DMB, Mitta, Thurgoona
Surprise packet: Thurgoona
Disappointment: Yack
Barton Medal: Tyson Groupic(Tallangatta)
Leading goalkicker: Brendan Mcevoy(Mitta)
Rising star (Under 20): Callum Turner
Best new recruit: Tyson Groupic
Headline you'd like to see: Julian Day declares 'I only drink twice a year cause i'm an athlete'........

Almost forgot Benchwarmer1, roadsy has moved up to Noosa

Here is my attempt (guess) at a ladder but pretty much a lucky dip
Tallangatta 64pts - recruited well and were there abouts last year
Kiewa 56pts- lost a couple/gained a couple but will be up there
Wahgunyah 50pts - suprise packet, no clearances in yet but they beat a couple of goods sides last year.
Mitta 48pts- always up there but may have to do it from an elimination this year
Yackandandah 44pts - have got much to prove this year and will play finals
Thurgoona 38 pts- there abouts but need a fair bit of improvement on last year
DMB 32pts- not really sure but think they will be there abouts
Beechworth 28pts - battle but may suprise a couple of sides
Barny 20pts - lost a few but will beat a few teams
Rutherglen 16pts- havent heard much but they need a few guns to be competative
Chiltern 8pts- havent heard much here either but could be a long year
Wodonga 8pts- need to beat chiltern 1st round to avoid the spoon

Yack played Rand/Walbundrie yesterday in a very scrappy encounter. Yack did win but in very unconvincing circumstances. The biggest problem from observation is the number of guys they have grossely overweight and unfit. A number of times you would see guys doubled over gasping for air. Blokes like Powell, Fraser, Fulton and Harris could not possibly run out a full game, sceptical about there productivity for a full half. On the other side they have recruited Nick Dillon and Peter Clayton as assistant coach....i think. What i know of Pete he wont hold back his opinion on some guys efforts, probably just what yac needs. They also played a intra club about 3 weeks ago with over 50 blokes, unfortunately good numbers does not collate to good depth and the quality falls away very quickly.They play Tarrawingee this week,interesting to see if there is any improvement from the first hit out.

I saw Thurgoona play at Holbrook yesterday. The doggies won by about 4 goals and everybody contributed. Standouts were T Miller, Hargreaves, Mellier, Sutcliffe. Expect big things from the miller boys now they have some fitness behind them
A good even performance by a team on the way up can't wait until round one to see the boys play DMB who reckon they're pretty good.

Ladder:
Kiewa
Tallangatta
Thurgoona
Mitta
Dederang Mt Beauty
Yackandandah
Wahgunyah
Barnawartha
Rutherglen
Chiltern
Wodonga Saints

Surprise packet:
Thurgoona

Disappointment:
Yack

Barton Medal:
Danny Hargreaves

Leading goalkicker:
Todd Miller

Rising star (Under 20):
Cameron Gilchrist

Best new recruit:
Danny Hargreaves
Headline you'd like to see:

Thurgoona win their first flag!!!

Yack played Rand/Walbundrie yesterday in a very scrappy encounter. Yack did win but in very unconvincing circumstances. The biggest problem from observation is the number of guys they have grossely overweight and unfit. A number of times you would see guys doubled over gasping for air. Blokes like Powell, Fraser, Fulton and Harris could not possibly run out a full game, sceptical about there productivity for a full half. On the other side they have recruited Nick Dillon and Peter Clayton as assistant coach....i think. What i know of Pete he wont hold back his opinion on some guys efforts, probably just what yac needs. They also played a intra club about 3 weeks ago with over 50 blokes, unfortunately good numbers does not collate to good depth and the quality falls away very quickly.They play Tarrawingee this week,interesting to see if there is any improvement from the first hit out.
Very harsh assesment of the game Max, I mean Goonas (I found your efforts yesterday interesting). I also witnessed the game in which Yackandandah won by 9 goals and I found the game rather quick and entertaining. Not too bad for unconvincing!
The new look Tallangatta play Walbundrie next week in their final hit out before round 1. The Hoppers have had a faultless preparation and deserve to be premiership favourites.

In other news out of the Ranga camp, big man Adam Cusworth has accepted a transfer to Bendigo with work as a school teacher. He will be a big loss to Mark Dicketts.

I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath for the results of the Saints praccy matches so here goes.
We have played 2 and won 2, albeit against not so good opposition. But winning form is good form.
First up was Border Walwa where both teams seem to struggle with fitness and skills, but the Saints proved to be too good winning by 3-4 goals.
Second game was on Saturday where we went to Nth Wang and played 5 quarters. Again not a great game to watch, very hot conditions, but both teams put together some good passages of play. The Saints ended up winning by a goal or 2.
Training has been great with about 40 a night turning up, have to admit not great quality but with a lot of new blokes Romma is happy with the start so far. We are not going to be world beaters but will give a few of the lower teams a run for their money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone else got the shits with the sprorting pulse sites???? work really hard on the web sites and now they have stuffed them buy selling out and putting all these adds everywhere. Also putting "thier" add in with ours- cant tell whats going on anymore- pissed off big time

Came up from geelong on the weekend and played barny think there in for a long year.
Sad to say since i have great memories from 17 years ago when i played for the mighty tigers!!!

Has anyone else got the shits with the sprorting pulse sites???? work really hard on the web sites and now they have stuffed them buy selling out and putting all these adds everywhere. Also putting "thier" add in with ours- cant tell whats going on anymore- pissed off big time

Couldn't agree more jack. I can see some annoyed club sponsors when a rival pops up on a club website as a sporting pulse sponsor. How would WAW feel - major Tallangatta and O&K sponsor and has now got ANZ bobbing up on websites everywhere ? Too bad if your club has an insurance sponsor - now got NRMA Insurance popping up every time you go to website. Let's just hope there's a way to get rid of the ones you don't want, otherwise I can see plenty of clubs bailing out of the VCFL provided websites and doing their own.

Jack stop your whining. If this all you have to worry about your club must be doing alright. If it wasn't for these ads sporting pulse would not be able to provide the websites for the clubs. I am sure if these sites were not available alot of clubs would not have sites at all. So I think you need to just deal with it and take the good with the bad.

I'm with you Jack. My gripe is took them 2 months to put the clearances up and the layout for them compared to last yr is s***house

Well start the ball rolling on tips, mine are:

Saints by 10pts
Wahgunyah by 38pts
DMB by 15pts
Tallangatta by 28pts
Yack by 43pts
Kiewa by 77pts

My tips for this weekend...:thumbsu:

Saints by 20 points
Keiwa by 128 points
DMB by 12 points
Tallangatta by 44 points
Wahgunyah by 36 points
Mitta by 16 points

I think some games will be closer then not:rolleyes:, but probably be wrong, eh...:eek:

My tips for this weekend...:thumbsu:

Saints by 20 points
Keiwa by 128 points
DMB by 12 points
Tallangatta by 44 points
Wahgunyah by 36 points
Mitta by 16 points

I think some games will be closer then not:rolleyes:, but probably be wrong, eh...:eek:
my tips

saints by 10 points
wahgunyah by 15 points
thurgoona by 35 points
tallangatta by 70 points
yack by 28 points
kiewa by 15 points

my tips

saints by 10 points
wahgunyah by 15 points
thurgoona by 35 points
tallangatta by 70 points
yack by 28 points
kiewa by 15 points

heres my 2 bobs worth
chiltern 1 point
wahgunyah 70 points
thurgoona 28 points
tallangatta 63 points
mitta 15 points
KSC 35 points
all the best to all teams Go Doggies:thumbsu:

hey just wondering what the kids from Mt Beauty are like they are stepping up to Ovens and Murray this year and wanna know how they will compete.

Phil Bellingham
Max Kruzer

Remove this Banner Ad

season 2009 starts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back