Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Tony Foo's funeral details are:
Friday 12th Feb at 2.30pm LePine Funerals
440 Maroondah Highway, Lilydale 3140,

I'm hearing the mob at the end of the Warby Hwy have a league triple BnF on board for 2016 !

Great pick up for them no doubt, will certainly compliment a developing midfield, but unsure why he wouldn't return to his original club ???

Welcome back ol son....

I'm hearing the mob at the end of the Warby Hwy have a league triple BnF on board for 2016 !

Great pick up for them no doubt, will certainly compliment a developing midfield, but unsure why he wouldn't return to his original club ???

Welcome back ol son....
Cash

With Brett Fisher standing down at Wandin, will they have to re-jig their assistant coaches? I' guess where I'm going with this is how much emphasis do clubs put on assistants? With first division normally being pretty tight between third and eigth are clubs starting to realise that good help on the bench might just give them an edge, or do clubs only have assistants because every one else does?

Woori must've had some faith in assistants with Brendan Donovan signing at Olinda as the senior coach. If Donovan has a successful season, or seasons, at Olinda it may just start a new trend in coaching in the Valley. Any other assistants around that could make the step up?

With Brett Fisher standing down at Wandin, will they have to re-jig their assistant coaches? I' guess where I'm going with this is how much emphasis do clubs put on assistants? With first division normally being pretty tight between third and eigth are clubs starting to realise that good help on the bench might just give them an edge, or do clubs only have assistants because every one else does?

Woori must've had some faith in assistants with Brendan Donovan signing at Olinda as the senior coach. If Donovan has a successful season, or seasons, at Olinda it may just start a new trend in coaching in the Valley. Any other assistants around that could make the step up?

Usually assistant coaches are brought into a club as a player, it's a great way to pick up a good player and pay them overs for them. The assistant coaches who help out on the bench usually with a playing coach such as Brendan Donavan are common in the YV. My guess is the they are generally volunteers, happy to help out the club and get their hands dirty. Most are probably happy not to be the coach, might be a confidence thing, time or just not interested in the top job. Confidence to actually go out and look for a senior job takes a certain amount of confidence, being a non playing assistant somewhere also doesn't exactly put your name in lights so can be pretty tough gig to find a job. Brendan obviously had the confidence and backing from Monkey and Danny Ryan, pretty good character references to go in with. He must have also presented really well also as OFCFNC in a really good position.
To answer your question in my opinion, clubs need assistant coaches, the game is changing and you need a few sets of eyes on both training as well as game day as it is now too much for a coach to manage well on their own especially a playing coach.

Drove past it this morning MIW, they were putting the glass up, looks unreal. I think the initial plans were end of March and my mate up there hasn't said otherwise.

He did say though that there's big issues at the club. I'll speak to him in the next day or so and find out for sure, but the initial indication is far from ideal.
i on the grapevine hear Big Jason has been sacked,Paul Preston taking over and most of the players that have left are returning.Not a good start to the year.
Correct me if lm wrong

i on the grapevine hear Big Jason has been sacked,Paul Preston taking over and most of the players that have left are returning.Not a good start to the year.
Correct me if lm wrong

Premiership coach WTF happened there?

Premiership coach WTF happened there?
Players felt he couldnt coach.Bit of a worry when players dictate whos coaching.Heard a lot of stuff about Jasons coaching. Best not repeated.Doesnt help anyone.The bloke would be pissed of enough with out comments floating around.Hopefully the club has sorted it and will be competitive in Div 1.Not looking forward to watching floggings if the players arent sticking around.

Players felt he couldnt coach.Bit of a worry when players dictate whos coaching.Heard a lot of stuff about Jasons coaching. Best not repeated.Doesnt help anyone.The bloke would be pissed of enough with out comments floating around.Hopefully the club has sorted it and will be competitive in Div 1.Not looking forward to watching floggings if the players arent sticking around.

Reap what you sow I guess, toxic environment when the tail wags the dog sounds like Jason may better off without the joint if that's true and they've speared him :(

I actually liked the bloke, hope he's not lost to local footy as we need passionate people involved.

Nick Tennant, Peter Brown and now Jason Bek. All coached their teams to finals and one to a flag; now all sacked due to player unrest. Maybe we better change the old saying "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" (I think Ron Barassi changed it to "It doesn't matter how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose) to "It doesn't matter how you coach, it's whether you are likeable". Probably a sad reflection in general on today's society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Tennant, Peter Brown and now Jason Bek. All coached their teams to finals and one to a flag; now all sacked due to player unrest. Maybe we better change the old saying "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" (I think Ron Barassi changed it to "It doesn't matter how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose) to "It doesn't matter how you coach, it's whether you are likeable". Probably a sad reflection in general on today's society.
Don't think the Woori boys had a problem with Nick as a person, just didn't think he was a great coach

Yep, it's certainly the era of entitlement, and even footy club executives now bow to the masses.

I've always said there are quite often far more capable, credentialed coaches getting around than those blokes who actually try and help clubs .... yet those guys either don't have the time (or balls) to put the heads on the block.

Often it's these characters that are most dangerous around clubs, planting seeds in players heads etc etc

Yep, it's certainly the era of entitlement, and even footy club executives now bow to the masses.

I've always said there are quite often far more capable, credentialed coaches getting around than those blokes who actually try and help clubs .... yet those guys either don't have the time (or balls) to put the heads on the block.

Often it's these characters that are most dangerous around clubs, planting seeds in players heads etc etc

Too bloody right! And often when these blokes are asked why they did what they did, they reply "I only had the best interest of the club at heart". To which I usually think "Yes, but which club"?

lve often thought about taking up coaching but just about everytime lm about to put my hand up an incident like the sacking of Jason occurs.Some of the back stabbing opinionated crap i hear around the club,why would you throw yourself under a bus.l really respect the coaches and volunteers that have a go and more the clubs that support there coaches and not buckle to supporters and sponsors with threats and biased views.Takes courage for the football department to have a plan and stick to it and more courage for the commitee to support the football department.Some sponsors and members seem to have the view that if they chuck a few dollars in to the club it gives them the right to control it.Better off with out these people.

Which clubs are tracking well coming into 2016

Heard the Burras have picked up a few
Few outs down the kennel
Think the top 3 will be a ripping contest
Hard to see emerald or belgrave being competitive
Woori due for another flag

Not my place to go into details, but poorly handled situation overall.

Jason would be a great president or junior coach, but doesn't cut the mustard at senior level.

Which clubs are tracking well coming into 2016

Heard the Burras have picked up a few
Few outs down the kennel
Think the top 3 will be a ripping contest
Hard to see emerald or belgrave being competitive
Woori due for another flag

When will the under 18's fixture be released? Heard Belgrave, Olinda, Monbulk and to a lesser extent Upwey all struggling for numbers.

I also see on the league website that the first training run for the interleague squad was held on February the 19th. Will a list of this squad be made available, or do we have to wait for some of these players to cleared from other leagues first? Fancy picking a squad on reputation and not performance, wouldn't happen would it?;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back