Admin Notice Season 38 Administrator - Candidates Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m going to respectfully decline to answer this question but I will say this - anybody that seriously puts their hand up to administer this league does it for the love of the game and of this community.

When I was admin many years back now I would have done anything to keep this society healthy and thriving… not a single thing has changed.

I was the Season 21 admin, it’s pretty crazy to think I may be looking potentially for my replacement in season 41. I was a five season player back then and I was pretty good. I’ve drunk plenty of fine wine since then.
I agree with the first bolded part, and thank you , DenieD ClarkeM again for applying

As for your decision to not answer, I respect that, but also note that it was asked in past AMAs (and not by me) and was answered back then. Therefore, I sense there has been an unwritten shift in the process/approach beyond what has been formally outlined.

This, and the second bolded part leads me to my next question to each of you
- The Filth Wizard , DenieD and ClarkeM , if you are successful, what sort of process will you use for selecting your successor? I was mostly referring to the longer term AMA v the 24-48h committee process v another approach.
Additionally Filth, the wording of your bolded statement and reference to the previous era also made me wonder if you're in favour of returning to admin handpicking their successor instead of an election?

DenieD, The Filth Wizard & ClarkeM if successful in the vote will you be using a GMQO to assist ? If so who will your GMQO be ?
Currently I plan on not using a GMQO in my first season as admin, but if in my first season I find out it is something that is necessary for my job to run more smoothly then I will have one in my final 2 seasons. So that will be something I decide in season 38.

Why have you allowed the Q&A to be done behind closed doors ClarkeM The Filth Wizard DenieD?

Is this lack of transparency going to be a sign of your leadership styles?
Wasn't any of our doing. I think that was the committee wanting a swift admin election. But I can understand why the greater SFA public want to know more about the admin candidates.

DenieD

You say spectacle but how do you envisage this a) working and b) being enjoyable

Every team in the one thread with games being posted every day is logistically a lot of work for the people doing the posting but also would involves a lot of noise
I haven't worked out the full logistics of it yet, and it wouldn't take place next season as the fixture is pretty much set already. But if I am elected then I will start planning for it to be used in season 39/40 as a way to combat the bye (if there is no new team by that point). In my mind it will be a way to lessen the fatigue that some people have with the bye. I will be consulting with the committee on it of course, so it won't come out of thin air and surprise anyone.

ClarkeM DenieD and The Filth Wizard
- thank you all for applying

I ask each of you this:
-If you are personally unsuccessful in becoming admin, which of the two other candidates would you prefer as admin, and why?
This question always comes up. It would be hard to look past my wonders teammate ClarkeM for the gig. I think he's done a fine job filling in for Elton lately and would be a good admin. Filthy has also done the job before so he knows how it works. Honestly there isn't a wrong choice here, I'm just the one that offers something new and different. And I think what the Sweet-FA needs right now is someone that can do things a little differently.

- The Filth Wizard , DenieD and ClarkeM , if you are successful, what sort of process will you use for selecting your successor? I was mostly referring to the longer term AMA v the 24-48h committee process v another approach.
I feel like a lengthy process for a portion of season 40 will be required to find my successor. In my opinion the short and quick approach can sometimes find you people who may not be ready for it, or perhaps haven't quite thought out the lengths that you need to go to in order to handle the job. I haven't fully decided on the exact approach because that is a long way away, but it will be a joint process decision with the committee and of course the greater Sweet-FA public will be able to put forth all their questions that they want answered.

I agree with the first bolded part, and thank you , DenieD ClarkeM again for applying

As for your decision to not answer, I respect that, but also note that it was asked in past AMAs (and not by me) and was answered back then. Therefore, I sense there has been an unwritten shift in the process/approach beyond what has been formally outlined.

This, and the second bolded part leads me to my next question to each of you
Additionally Filth, the wording of your bolded statement and reference to the previous era also made me wonder if you're in favour of returning to admin handpicking their successor instead of an election?

I’ve always been in favour of the admin selecting their replacement. For me it was each admins last great legacy (and I don’t believe poor options can ever be in the equation). At that, this is the ratified way now, the league chooses and that is perfectly fair.

I did want to kindly approach your line of questioning at the moment (and I understand they aren’t fresh) but this is an unconventional campaign - I’m not sure either Clarkey, Den or I knew we’d even be in the admin hunt even a week ago. We’re not privy to each others views as we’ve only been answering questions since this morning. As for the other nominees they have my full respect but my ambition is to be the next admin. The Warriors can work out their second choice. It would be disingenuous to give either of my opponents a ride.

As for future admins, that’s a Season 41 issue. Who knows, it might be me. I’m not sure where the rule of three seasons ever got ratified, it used to just be the general window that people got sick of it.

I answered a similar question in committee if you don’t mind me rehashing.

We’re coming into Season 40 so we’re probably not going to reinvent the wheel as far as recruiting goes now.

If we have time once the dust settles before the new season it always is valuable heading out to another forum or two for a preseason tour.

I always feel though word of mouth is the best way to recruit. Anybody that loves the Sweet FA community should be on the lookout on other forums they frequent for people they think would also enjoy it. Recruitment should never stop.

I would have said the tour of bigfooty from years ago, but now I believe it might be best to try some new strategies. In my opinion the well of new posters on bigfooty has been well and truly tapped and now it's just dribbles of a couple new ones every season. To get a large increase in rookies we will need to advertise off-site. And if I become admin, I will work with Chief and a few others who put their hands up, to try and get new posters into bigfooty and into Sweet-FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I answered a similar question in committee if you don’t mind me rehashing.

In addition to this I just had a really nice reminder of an idea I had a while back of revamping Qricket as a Sweet FA sub forum and running a whole competition in there in our off season.

It would keep our activity flowing, bring back some old faces and hit another sports fandom. I imagine it would also need its own dedicated admin. The synergy is there though to really use this to enhance engagement. We can see a similar effect from having the number one Werewolf community on BigFooty.

ClarkeM

Could you please elaborate on the following:
  • Modernising the recording of awards (e.g. Mobbs Votes).

@ All - do you envision any movement in regards to the implementation of a new simulator, given the immense work done by Kennedy Parker in this regard?

I’d be very keen to know how a revamped version of the sim is tracking, that’s an insane level of skill and experience to create any sim, let alone improve on this one.

How could anyone not want to play in an improved properly trialed version of this sim?

Is it more or less random than the current Sim?
True randomness can only be observed at the quantum level...or so I've heard...

TFW, I seem to have fond memories of you as admin many moons ago. Is this experience still relevant, or do you see the role as much more evolved these days? What do you anticipate being the same vs different?

In addition to this I just had a really nice reminder of an idea I had a while back of revamping Qricket as a Sweet FA sub forum and running a whole competition in there in our off season.

It would keep our activity flowing, bring back some old faces and hit another sports fandom. I imagine it would also need its own dedicated admin. The synergy is there though to really use this to enhance engagement. We can see a similar effect from having the number one Werewolf community on BigFooty.
I support this idea, TFW. Good one.

sausageroll - get the bamboo ready. My time to shine.

what do the nominees think are the 2-3 main skills needed for the role, and how do your strengths and experiences correlate?

Last edited:
what do the nominees think are the 2-3 main skills needed for the role, and how do your strengths and experiences correlate?

Hi cats, I’ll answer both of your questions here if I may.

The first time I was admin the role was more of an autonomous one, as as admin we had to live and die by a decision and be smart enough to know when something sucked (my idea for a 30 match season sucked, my idea for a live tribunal was aces).

The admin role is a guidance role now and that’s something I think only comes with experience. It takes somebody who has spent extended times building and shoring up clubs and above all takes somebody that listens to problems and ideas and is able to encourage or enhance these things. There are many club captains that have for some reason or another come to me for guidance in any number of reasons and I like to think I’ve not let them down.

I mentioned in the committee q&a I would like to have an ongoing PM with each clubs leadership groups to encourage more open talk elsewhere but at the very least give a support where needed.

The fact is the number one need for an admin now is a committed and happy committee. I will need that more than they need me.

Apologies all, very busy weekend unfortunately over the same time this process is taking place for me so I can only give what I can.

In the context of what you say you believe, as highlighted above, can you please express how you will avoid the mistakes of this year where you excluded our club from participating because you didn't like us being true to our culture and taking the piss in a PM that affected exactly no one else in the entire SFA?

We missed one initial deadline for nominating, and we were not on our own there, yet no other club had their Committee Rep dismissed or their award nominations ignored.

I know the rules for issuing warnings before instigating the dismissal process were not followed, did you at least consult other clubs and put it to a vote? If not, how does what you say will happen match with your recent actions?
I'm not going to waste time going back to this but what I will say is that there were multiple deadlines missed by the club and you were active during this time despite being given extensions.

Taking the piss out of the volunteers who help run this place is where I draw the line. This includes the Committee members.

I did not consult other clubs or put it to a vote, however I was in full consultation with BigFooty site administration throughout the entire show and had their full support in the actions that were taken.

ClarkeM DenieD and The Filth Wizard
- thank you all for applying

I ask each of you this:
-If you are personally unsuccessful in becoming admin, which of the two other candidates would you prefer as admin, and why?
Understand this is a common question but frankly doesn't phase me one bit. Anyone who is genuinely willing to put their hand up to lead this place should be commended and praised for giving up more than enough of their personal time dedicated to the fun and enjoyment that this place brings to so many.

It is up to the clubs to decide who does the job and I know it's easy to say but really, I am not fussed one bit (and have a history of not necessarily being fussed by it either ;) #ABSTAIN)

My preference is simply whoever the Committee's preference is.
- @The Filth Wizard , @DenieD and @ClarkeM , if you are successful, what sort of process will you use for selecting your successor? I was mostly referring to the longer term AMA v the 24-48h committee process v another approach.
Great question, and simply, I don't have an answer for you. The finish to Season 40 is not something I'm thinking about but once again, it would need to be clarified with the Committee however way they'd like to approach it as per the rules or guidelines in place.

I'm on the record for saying that I care little for elections but what I care about and what the Committee wants/needs are separate matters.

• Ability to put bias aside and judge situations fairly in accordance to the purposes of the Committee and the model rules in place each season.
  • Need to be organised rather than active - organisation trumps being reactive all of the time and needing to be there to hold hands. So prioritisation of this is critical in my opinion.
  • Someone willing to do the job - as simply as that, that's the most important competency that the role needs right now as there are only a minute number of people willing.
ClarkeM

Could you please elaborate on the following:
  • Modernising the recording of awards (e.g. Mobbs Votes).

@ All - do you envision any movement in regards to the implementation of a new simulator, given the immense work done by Kennedy Parker in this regard?
To put it simply, the Mobbs Medal votes are sent via screenshot to the admin in PM. It's then on the admin to track votes as they happen by writing in names into a Sheet etc. I'd like to think about how we can speed this process up and possibly, entrust the simmers to nominate the votes via a Google Form which is by effect the same process however it will ensure that the administration team can be better prepared come end of season with the count accurately recorded and reported as well as leaderboards along the way. This isn't a whack at EJW however he was going to send me the votes up to a certain round and I could just follow on from there but instead I spent time in the later weeks going through each PM and doing them all manually. Few spelling errors naturally occurred but we got through them - I'd just like to remove this risk from happening altogether with pre-built systems to make everyone's job's easier. It also flows into the "Sim Checker" process which achieves a purpose but there's simply got to be a better way for the league to do this as it is mundane and clunky.

Similar to how we approached the Beez votes this season which proved a success when tallying the votes and tracking who voted/didn't vote etc. less double handling, less chance of error and easier for the volunteers all around. Overall modernisation of award processes and league procedures. All of this I'd be willing to help with even if not the admin in full honesty. The league needs a better model in place so I'd be keen to work with whoever is appointed admin.

New sim - absolutely interested but not sure where that has been left though sorry. Whoever is admin needs to consider this as there'll inevitably be a time when we're all on Windows 15 or whatever where Qooty no longer runs... better to be preparing for it now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back