Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Now who here is going to be watching the Olympics and what events are people excited for tomorrow?

Obviously I'm watching the fencing šŸ˜…

View attachment 2059631

Opening ceremony

I love the sports which Iā€™ll only see every 4 years / I guess more frequently if you talk about the Commonwealth Games

Opening ceremony

I love the sports which Iā€™ll only see every 4 years / I guess more frequently if you talk about the Commonwealth Games

Commonwealth Games have lost a lot of their soul over the last 16-20 years.

A fair few sports have been removed from them.

Conversely, having two long seasons back to back is what has caused the offseason to be this short. This has had flow on effects for everything from recruitment to BnFs .

The home and away season was 17 weeks in length, very similar to what we've had in recent times. Four weeks of finals made the total season length 21 weeks, which is again very similar to most of the seasons that have been contested in recent times.

The reason for the shorter off-season is the current season we're in, which is 16 matches over 18 weeks, a season which finishes one to two weeks later than what is normally would due to the necessity of having two byes to fit in 16 games over 18 rounds.

Season length is only part of the issue here. For quite some time now, the SFA hasn't done enough to recruit enough players from outside the competition and has become much more reliant on intra-SFA recruitment to fill lists, rather than going out and recruiting players. That may due to less people becoming members at BigFooty, but it is clear the previous efforts that have gone into external player recruitment haven't been the same as initiatives in prior years.

42 weeks is too much, especially for the mid year break which already tends to be too short

It probably is. We've had 41 weeks in prior years and have been able to make it work. 40 would be good but the bye complicates things from a fixture perspective and to accommodate a year of 40 weeks, clubs would need to play 14 games over 16 rounds.

The fairness of a 13 week + finals model is one thing, but it also takes away double ups. Double ups are generally not as good as original match threads, either quality or quantity wise.

The drop-off in posting at the end of a season has happened for many seasons now, and goes beyond the double-ups issue. It is merely the fact that people do lose interest in the competition in the second half of a season as the hyper-posting era creates fatigue so to speak on the need to contribute most weeks. Double-ups aren't necessarily a bad thing, and come down to personal preferences, some clubs may like playing another club twice due to good rapport, while other clubs may not due to a dislike of each other, something which has happened for quite some time now.

The ā€œinnovationā€ you speak of was tried last season with midweek threads and it didnā€™t work well as the lack of consistency /a reliable time also resulted in a huge drop off . I love SoO more than most but all the matches except for our first one and the GF were very rushed and that impacted my ability to engage as much as I wanted to. A glance at the contributors list showed that others were in that boat too.

State of Origin works because it is a unique concept with people representing different teams and playing alongside people they don't normally play on the same side as. The rapid-fire concept of quick match threads also keeps the competition fresh and moving with threads not becoming stagnant with the recent State of Origin series being another success because of this.

The threads in general were a bit short with some matches only three days when they probably should have been four, and the different match times for posting was not ideal. That's a management issue and should be taken on board for when the next series is held. However, the State of Origin concept and the methods used again worked well and is something the SFA could introduce in order to reduce season length. Three matches over two weeks (Thursday - Week One, Tuesday - Week Two, Sunday - Week Two) is something that could work very well in order to cut the season length down to a more manageable level. The key will be to make sure this is advertised in advance with clubs given plenty of time to adjust as needed.

1626669572037 (1).png

Dragons FFC Official Team Sheet: Season 38, Round One versus Bears FFC

B: A Swallow / BringBackTheAnchor / Ge3ks
HB: Greenery / T2B_ / DragoDelph
C: Ligma / Blaze Storm / freo84
HF: Bradesmaen / Pickitt / Purple Jesus
F: Hatchy1992 / Bonz / Knifey Spoony
FOLL: Ljp86 / Drizzy / Pie 4 Life
INT: Chief / DJ75

once upon a time dragon GIF by HULU
Slam Dunk Wow GIF by NBA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you two still working, doesn't the club pay you guys enough. When I left the club earlier the payroll guy was processing all your pays.

FHPhZLd2J4aDgoOIvmEFAxQtHy0=.gif

Looks like that computer is turned off, thatā€™s why weā€™re not getting paid!

I cannot wait for the 4 day work week to become standard

The Green Party in the UK are advocating this, but theyā€™re a minor party seats wise.

Are any of the political parties in Australia advocating it?

Now who here is going to be watching the Olympics and what events are people excited for tomorrow?

Obviously I'm watching the fencing šŸ˜…

View attachment 2059631
I always love Swimming, as well as the stuff like Diving and Gymnastics
Iā€™ll also follow NZā€™s medal chances eg kayaking , 7ā€™s and kierin
Realistically much of this will be replays because of timezones and also because footy will always take priority

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back