Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

People who pretend to know me are my biggest fans

What Is Going On American Horror Story GIF by AHS

Excuse the intrusion. Today is the last day to submit a ladder for the BovBall game so I am doing a final encouragement to get involved. This golf style of scoring game compares your ladder against each rounds current ladder to give you a score each week. The Lowest total score at the end of the home and away wins. Use a randomiser if you need. Just one post with all 13 teams is enough to play the entire season. You won't find an easier game that requires so little effort!

Excuse the intrusion. Today is the last day to submit a ladder for the BovBall game so I am doing a final encouragement to get involved. This golf style of scoring game compares your ladder against each rounds current ladder to give you a score each week. The Lowest total score at the end of the home and away wins. Use a randomiser if you need. Just one post with all 13 teams is enough to play the entire season. You won't find an easier game that requires so little effort!

sam winchester yawn GIF

The home and away season was 17 weeks in length, very similar to what we've had in recent times. Four weeks of finals made the total season length 21 weeks, which is again very similar to most of the seasons that have been contested in recent times.

The reason for the shorter off-season is the current season we're in, which is 16 matches over 18 weeks, a season which finishes one to two weeks later than what is normally would due to the necessity of having two byes to fit in 16 games over 18 rounds.

Season length is only part of the issue here. For quite some time now, the SFA hasn't done enough to recruit enough players from outside the competition and has become much more reliant on intra-SFA recruitment to fill lists, rather than going out and recruiting players. That may due to less people becoming members at BigFooty, but it is clear the previous efforts that have gone into external player recruitment haven't been the same as initiatives in prior years.

It probably is. We've had 41 weeks in prior years and have been able to make it work. 40 would be good but the bye complicates things from a fixture perspective and to accommodate a year of 40 weeks, clubs would need to play 14 games over 16 rounds.

The drop-off in posting at the end of a season has happened for many seasons now, and goes beyond the double-ups issue. It is merely the fact that people do lose interest in the competition in the second half of a season as the hyper-posting era creates fatigue so to speak on the need to contribute most weeks. Double-ups aren't necessarily a bad thing, and come down to personal preferences, some clubs may like playing another club twice due to good rapport, while other clubs may not due to a dislike of each other, something which has happened for quite some time now.

State of Origin works because it is a unique concept with people representing different teams and playing alongside people they don't normally play on the same side as. The rapid-fire concept of quick match threads also keeps the competition fresh and moving with threads not becoming stagnant with the recent State of Origin series being another success because of this.

The threads in general were a bit short with some matches only three days when they probably should have been four, and the different match times for posting was not ideal. That's a management issue and should be taken on board for when the next series is held. However, the State of Origin concept and the methods used again worked well and is something the SFA could introduce in order to reduce season length. Three matches over two weeks (Thursday - Week One, Tuesday - Week Two, Sunday - Week Two) is something that could work very well in order to cut the season length down to a more manageable level. The key will be to make sure this is advertised in advance with clubs given plenty of time to adjust as needed.
Every week makes a difference in an already short season. I believe there was a fixture drawn up that had 14 games each but certain other clubs complained and wanted even more games so this was the result. It's those clubs who should take the blame for the resulting mini offseason and pre-Christmas finals and awards season. 14 games would've at least been an acceptable medium /balance between the fair/equal 13 round season (eg S34) and current arrangement.
In the offseason just gone, no double up preferences were sought and in the past, certain preferences have been ignored. I'm firmly in the camp that double-ups are a bad thing, especially as finals may mean playing a team 2-3 times a short succession as a result.

Having a short offseason takes away from the chance to do tours and other drives as well. This could be more of a feature next offseason but I still believe that the primary driving reason for reduced recruitment relates to reduced joining of bigfooty members. That doesn't mean I'm on board when it comes to recruiting completely unknown people from external sites but I do think we could all be drawing on our non-bigfooty connections a little more.'

In the scheme of things, the rushed SoO wasn't anywhere near as bad as the rushed SFA-proper match threads last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally home from work gang
Unlike certain other posters and clubs I never adjusted to night shifts so it's something I don't miss. I hope you sleep well and can get a mini hibernation before tomorrow's celebration.

Surprised we haven't seen a MissFrosty join the Old Boys yet.

Frosty was only in their late teens.

He was young enough to be the Grandson of most of the Old Boys Leadership group

Frosty was only in their late teens.

He was young enough to be the Grandson of most of the Old Boys Leadership group
And the great great grandchild of most of the Roys'...

Finally home from work gang
Cancel the search party. I was worried when you hadn't turned up for our famous Saturday Afternoon bridge tournament.

Good to see ageism alive and well in the Sweet FA.

If ageism was truely alive & well there would be a separate “Masters” division of the league created for the Boomers to play in separately.

Give them a space to post 100+ times a week about Beer, BBQ’s and the good old days

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back