Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 4: Mount Buller Delons vs Baghdad Bombers @ The Snow Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes - thanks for asking, Jabba73.

And that's 196-game, 3x All-Sweet FA, 2x premiership winning, Fred Medalist Proper Gander to you.
That's 123-game, 2x All-Sweet FA, 1x premiership winning, 2x wooden spoon winning, Teflon-Tiger winning Jabba73 to you.

Pugsley, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't that Clapton gig here? It entered legendary status of the arrogance of the performer.

A mate of mine recalls a Joe Cocker concert that he saw where Cocker spent most of it smashed as and lying on his back singing. That'd be money well spent.
Would be one for the diary.

I think if a performance must be terrible, it needs to be legendary terrible like Meatloaf at the GF

I actually looked up some reviews of the Dylan concerts and this pretty much sums it up:

"Bob Dylan seems to do just about everything wrong," the review begins. "He alters the melodies of his beloved old songs, he mumbles his way through his famous lyrics, he plays guitar just about the way he plays harmonica, which is to say erratically, and his adenoidal voice has become alarmingly similar to that of Tiny Tim's."
(Kershner also shares with me a line that he recalls hearing over the years that mostly sums up his feelings about many a Dylan concert: "[He] performed many of my favorite songs, but I'm not exactly sure which ones.")

I think if a performance must be terrible, it needs to be legendary terrible like Meatloaf at the GF
My favourite, if I can call it that was when mates of mine and I ended up at Devonshire Rock one Saturday night in the early 80s. Australian Crawl were supposed to be playing. They were over 40 minutes late on stage, were blind drunk and proceeded to play as badly as possible and staggered off stage after 15 minutes. The drummer chucking his sticks at the audience just capped it off.

He was bad but he was also screwed over big time by the acoustics and set up he was given. The AFL share the blame on that one.
But Aussies love a good **** up so it went straight to the pool room!

IMG_6045.gif

My favourite, if I can call it that was when mates of mine and I ended up at Devonshire Rock one Saturday night in the early 80s. Australian Crawl were supposed to be playing. They were over 40 minutes late on stage, were blind drunk and proceeded to play as badly as possible and staggered off stage after 15 minutes. The drummer chucking his sticks at the audience just capped it off.
My partner is an obsessive Eric Clapton fan and has a few million stories of the rubbish performances he has been obliged to push himself through. Though the one that seems to have really impacted was some concert in London back whenever and, without warning, the Clapton concert became virtually entirely a Phil Collins concert.

He will never quite forgive Clapton for that. Reckons he single-handedly destroyed the 1980s

Also I’ve been away for a bit, but when did we become the Mt Buller Delons?
We also play at the Snow Dime!

There's just a typo in this weeks match thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will never quite forgive Clapton for that. Reckons he single-handedly destroyed the 1980s
Very generous of him.

Personally I blame neoliberalism. And it got its toehold in the 80s.

Good morning Demons & Bombers. It’s match day tomorrow! This game will be posted at around 2pm AEST/Vic Bias time
Best wishes to both teams
Headless Wosh
Pugsley Jabba73 gab213

He was bad but he was also screwed over big time by the acoustics and set up he was given. The AFL share the blame on that one.
But Aussies love a good **** up so it went straight to the pool room!

View attachment 2081861
I have this really dim recollection of Billy Idol successfully suing the NRL or some such for making him look like a dipstick. He came out on the ground on a hovercraft or something and the microphone didn’t work so it was 5 minutes of Billy floating around on this thing chased by sound tech guys that couldn’t catch the hovercraft because the driver got the bit between his teeth and he was OFF and the crowd just cheered and laughed.

If I’m remembering this accurately, Roy and HG did an epic commentary for the moment.

If I’m not remembering this accurately then I’d say none of this happened and I must have dreamt it up somehow

Interesting take - Most people blame Margaret Thatcher!

Good morning Demons & Bombers. It’s match day tomorrow! This game will be posted at around 2pm AEST/Vic Bias time
Best wishes to both teams
Headless Wosh
Pugsley Jabba73 gab213
Thanks MWPP.

Can you let us know who wins now though, so we can decide if we're going to stick around?

Interesting take - Most people blame Margaret Thatcher!
Oh she probably comes in second but my partner seems to really concentrate his scorn and loathing in less likely targets

One of the best concerts I ever went to was Kiss. I was never a fan and I was dragged there by a group of friends who had front row seats at Burswood Dome, it was one of their ‘farewell tours’

Well we sat at the bar and when we got in it was an amazing set up, then as soon as they came out everyone just left their seats and surged forward and we were right up against the stage front row…I could see Gene’s eyeballs. Talk about audience engagement! It was just loud, fun, party from start to finish, Gene flew across the stage, it was a real SHOW. Then it finished with encores and about 10 minutes of glitter raining down on us all…I went home spent and both the heels off my boots broke off from dancing so much. I had so much respect for them after that and actually appreciated what they were and their music too.

We still talk about it as one of the best nights out ever and value for every single dollar spent. Great band, superb entertainers!

Oh she probably comes in second but my partner seems to really concentrate his scorn and loathing in less likely targets
season 5 GIF

One of the best concerts I ever went to was Kiss. I was never a fan and I was dragged there by a group of friends who had front row seats at Burswood Dome, it was one of their ‘farewell tours’

Well we sat at the bar and when we got in it was an amazing set up, then as soon as they came out everyone just left their seats and surged forward and we were right up against the stage front row…I could see Gene’s eyeballs. Talk about audience engagement! It was just loud, fun, party from start to finish, Gene flew across the stage, it was a real SHOW. Then it finished with encores and about 10 minutes of glitter raining down on us all…I went home spent and both the heels off my boots broke off from dancing so much. I had so much respect for them after that and actually appreciated what they were and their music too.

We still talk about it as one of the best nights out ever and value for every single dollar spent. Great band, superb entertainers!
I recently saw Billy Joel in Melbourne. I rate that higher than the Paul McCartney concert (and as a massive Beatles fan, that’s saying a lot!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 4: Mount Buller Delons vs Baghdad Bombers @ The Snow Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back