Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Mt Buller Demons v Las Vegas Bears @ The Snow Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

This time, I actually don’t feel that way!
It wasn’t so long that I missed home etc
And it was well paced
The resulting shorter week doesn’t hurt either
I reckon you're the first person I've ever come across that has kindly declined a holiday.

Not quite as bad as the former colleague who once said to me she misses work when she's on holidays... but close.

I reckon you're the first person I've ever come across that has kindly declined a holiday.

Not quite as bad as the former colleague who once said to me she misses work when she's on holidays... but close.
And come back to twice the backlog when I'm home? Yeah, I'll keep my decline thanks. But in a couple of months, of course I'd say yes

I missed everything about home including work whilst on an otherwise amazing holiday in late 2019-early 2020 (before the world ended) but there were mitigating circumstances- I was about to move interstate a few weeks later and wished I was home to enjoy Perth (everything from the people to the places) more before heading to Bendigo
That year was even worse than I could've ever predicted so I stand by missing it.

And come back to twice the backlog when I'm home? Yeah, I'll keep my decline thanks. But in a couple of months, of course I'd say yes

I missed everything about home including work whilst on an otherwise amazing holiday in late 2019-early 2020 (before the world ended) but there were mitigating circumstances- I was about to move interstate a few weeks later and wished I was home to enjoy Perth (everything from the people to the places) more before heading to Bendigo
That year was even worse than I could've ever predicted so I stand by missing it.
I'll allow the mitigating circumstances. Hard to 'switch off' if there is a big life event just around the corner.

I remember one specific holiday in about 2015 (Japan) where we were a bit short on cash and I didnt particularly want to go back to my then workplace after the holiday.... two weeks before the holiday there were huuuge redundancies and I was a lucky one chosen! Went to Japan cashed up and without the work stress hanging over my head... I think it was an infinantly more enjoyable holiday because of the work redundancy!

How did you find the move from bustling Perth to sleepy Bendigo? I studied/lived there in my uni days!

:oops:
Clearly holidaying wrong.
Or working in the right industry for her. But still.
As clear as day I can hear my colleague with her immediate unfiltered response of "my god that sounds horrible" in absolute shock as we heard the colleague say she'd rather be at work when she's on holidays.

Almost 10 years later and I still say that in her voice at least once a week.

Last edited:
As clear as I day I can hear my colleague with her immediate unfiltered response of "my god that sounds horrible" in absolute shock as we heard the colleague say she'd rather be at work when she's on holidays.

Almost 10 years later and I still say that in her voice at least once a week.
Assuming she was married or something, was her husband just horrible or was it the kids etc? I have seen some extended family holidays where I am like, yeah, I would rather be home making money at work than spending on this trip with those people.

Assuming she was married or something, was her husband just horrible or was it the kids etc? I have seen some extended family holidays where I am like, yeah, I would rather be home making money at work than spending on this trip with those people.
I think she lived to work, as opposed to work to live (or a happy middleground).

I'll allow the mitigating circumstances. Hard to 'switch off' if there is a big life event just around the corner.

I remember one specific holiday in about 2015 (Japan) where we were a bit short on cash and I didnt particularly want to go back to my then workplace after the holiday.... two weeks before the holiday there were huuuge redundancies and I was a lucky one chosen! Went to Japan cashed up and without the work stress hanging over my head... I think it was an infinantly more enjoyable holiday because of the work redundancy!

How did you find the move from bustling Perth to sleepy Bendigo? I studied/lived there in my uni days!
I think 2020 was a tough year in general but even allowing for that it was the worst year of my life for multiple reasons. Better than being in Melbourne (where I lived in 2022-23) I suppose but it was so isolating.

The first 3 months and the last 2 months spent there weren’t bad (mainly because I didn’t feel as “stuck” there). The cafes and touristy things like the Lake Weerona /Mine didn’t take long to do . I did explore the surrounding (day trippable) areas like Echuca more than otherwise would have.

I have never been to Japan though it feels like everyone I know has either recently been or is about to go. As a vegetarian, the food situation puts me off but if that’s addressed I’ll make it over someday. At least it’s a direct flight.

Family holidays have their place - I’ve been on plenty. But if I didn’t get along with my family I would solo travel even more than I already do. Solo travel comes with freedom that is unparalleled.

As a vegetarian, the food situation puts me off but if that’s addressed I’ll make it over someday. At least it’s a direct flight.
We're vege and it was a little tough, but assumed it would be so it wasnt a surprise. Even a garden salad would come with heaps of fish flakes sprinkled on top (when the menu didnt say).

We used Happy Cow when we were there - I'm not sure if thats still a thing?

Positively if we got stuck, there was always an Indian restaurant around so lots of veg options.

We're vege and it was a little tough, but assumed it would be so it wasnt a surprise. Even a garden salad would come with heaps of fish flakes sprinkled on top (when the menu didnt say).

We used Happy Cow when we were there - I'm not sure if thats still a thing?

Positively if we got stuck, there was always an Indian restaurant around so lots of veg options.
Yep, heard similar stories to your fish flakes experience. Happy Cow is still a thing but when using it for elsewhere we found it a little out of date so wound up having to ask places directly. Tourism to Japan has boomed and is continuing to so I’m hoping options continue to expand by the time we are there.

Haha as an aside I avoid Indian restaurants on principle unless someone else insists as I’ve never been to one that wasn’t a total disappointment (compared to my mum’s amazing Indian home made food).

And a very good morning to my fabulous Buller comrades and hello Bears!

It's Wednesday again! As I missed out last week, I'm doubly excited about the Markets today! Coffee, quaffing, friendship, laughter and conversation. And my eldest is coming with me too. I'm extremely fortunate.

Whatever you do today, do it with appreciation.
message received loud and clear
Bout to text everyone I know and tell them what annoys me most about them in honour of you today mogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon Bears, lets get this all done with, write our names in the snow and leave this snowy hellscape
you should definitely do that before sunday, don't even bother turning up for the game

Bout to text everyone I know and tell them what annoys me most about them in honour of you today mogs
And I'm certain that they'll appreciate that.

C'mon Bears, lets get this all done with, write our names in the snow and leave this snowy hellscape
I'd rather call it our flea-infested cesspool.

Hellscape is a bit of a stretch!

I don't get missing work

I get missing my own bed, my own shower that sort of thing

not living out of a suitcase

but missing work?

nah
I miss you having a shower too.

Smells Bad Gary Oldman GIF by Apple TV+

Fair enough to tell me your annoyances, but was the abusive language in the PM telling me to "****** ***** that ** my ** *** and ****** ** burn it to the ground you *****" really necessary?

I suggest you reign it back in just a smidge
Stephen Colbert GIF by Global TV

Fair enough to tell me your annoyances, but was the abusive language in the PM telling me to "****** ***** that ** my ** and *** ** burn it to the ground you *****" really necessary?

I suggest you reign it back in just a smidge
Stephen Colbert GIF by Global TV

Oh shit I am terribly sorry cats

that one was meant for Headless ! :whistle:

Im still working on the conclusion of my thesis about you as we speak but I just know you will have a sense of appreciation for all the hard work I’ve put in to my contention; “c2r ************ ***** ************ conversely ** ***** ** unlike *** ***** ******** in comparison to ******* * and addition of **** therefore **”

As you can tell I haven’t quite hit the self imposed * count yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Mt Buller Demons v Las Vegas Bears @ The Snow Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back