Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all, whatever happened here I missed.
I had limited dealings with her but found her quite nice and friendly.
If I have inadvertently "mentioned the war" apologies.

Nah, it ain't no big deal. But she followed her then-paramour over to the Dragons.

Hilarity ensued.

It all worked out so well for them, don't you think?

Going back to this talk about old computing technology, well my old man did spend many years as an assembly line operator at Digital Equipment Corporation aka DEC.

They were an American company but their main factory for Europe was in Ireland. This video here shows one of the companies computers from 1987.

This type of computer was manufactured for usage in libraries.

Now THAT'S a fullsize keyboard.

No internet on them either mate. They don't even have text messaging.:laughv1: Still though people survived regardless.

Sure we did, the networking was just lower speed and more local (except for Usenet).

For extra fun, look up UUCP and bang paths.

The best thing I ever did as captain was getting ousted by Barrybran.

As long as he is Gumbies captain things will be alright.
I'm more of a qootball director these days

I'm 'aiming' to lose 5-10kgs by Christmas. We can all have unrealistic dreams.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Our captain got us in to shape with fear. May be worth considering for you

I love the modern technology mate you can go to the doctors, ride public transport, walk down the street and even drive your car and you don't have to take any notice of anyone, just look at your phone.

Nothing I hate more than drivers who dick around with their phones.

I would guess that >60% of the red-to-green traffic signals I encounter are delayed by some moron paying more attention to their phone than the road.

Also seen too many cars weaving around on the freeway, drive up next to them and see them fiddling with a phone or tablet... 😠

Like how old you talking?

My brother & a couple of his mates decided to try start their own music newspaper up in Newcastle in the mid 90s and they bought all the tech to get themselves set up

As an 11yr old I was helping them get the computers ready for use, any one comp they had was an ex-government one they were able to get cheap - it had a few games on it, including strip poker

Ah... the good old days

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Our captain got us in to shape with fear. May be worth considering for you
Turbo still doing cam shows? Can understand the fear.

I could show him one, working and all. :)

I still had a POTS landline into 2002 IIRC, but I switched us over to a VoIP service after I got extruded out the ass end of the dot.bomb. Landline ran me something like US$35/mo plus long distance charges, the VoIP service cost less than $10/mo. (Cellular was still much more expensive.)

I had to find one that would allow us to transfer our house # into it, Mrs. Brak insisted on it.

I also rewired the house phone taps so they were all downstream from the VoIP bridge, we used all the same telephones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone said we are closer to 2050 than 1990 to me last week and that really didn’t feel great 😂

Also kids born in 2007 can drive this year 🤯

All the US vendors that sell beverage alcohol display stickers like these:

1724992768712.png

I quit looking at them once they hit 1990, too depressing.

So it would have had mine sweeper

I also remember my brother loading 'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing' onto it - being a nerd, I treated that as a game and taught myself how to type as a youngster - definitely was handy going into highschool

My Mom made me take typing in high school. At the time I thought it was dumb, but boy howdy, am I glad I can touch type.

Came in really handy for the computer science degree & career.

Turbo still doing cam shows? Can understand the fear.

The cam shows are horrifyingly popular and great for the bottom line of our club.

I weep for humanity however.

All the US vendors that sell beverage alcohol display stickers like these:

View attachment 2096550

I quit looking at them once they hit 1990, too depressing.

I know some bouncers used to have the year of date eligible on the stamp at clubs to remind them of the year they are checking for 😂

The cam shows are horrifyingly popular and great for the bottom line of our club.

If only Turbos Tub Time didn’t get such good ratings

there is a market for everything.

A girl I know who is in her late 40's and famously a good sport reckons she makes about $5K a month on only fans through subscriptions and personal requests.

there is a market for everything.

A girl I know who is in her late 40's and famously a good sport reckons she makes about $5K a month on only fans through subscriptions and personal requests.

I’m just surprised she agreed to marry you tbh

My Mom made me take typing in high school. At the time I thought it was dumb, but boy howdy, am I glad I can touch type.

Came in really handy for the computer science degree & career.

I worked with a few who'd get annoyed when I'd be typing away while holding a conversation or looking at them to answer their questions

One colleague was a recent high school graduate and one day they commented to be, "you're like twice my age (correct 😫) and know so much more about computers than me"

As I said to him, I've been using them longer than he's been alive and that I'll play around on them to learn how to do different things. If I'm trying to do something and it's not working, I'll turn to Google for answers - I've worked with too many people that if things didn't work the first time, they'd decide it was too hard and leave it for someone else

Last edited:
Ah... the good old days

A right of passage for those of about my age.

I remember my mates dad telling me when I was in my early 30's how he and my parents were laughing at the time about how sneaky and cool 13 yo me and my mate thought we were playing leisure suit larry.

it was in fact pretty tame and they knew all along.

It's amazing to me that September 11 and Bali are (almost) 23 and 22 years ago respectively. My primary school brain didn't fully comprehend how huge they were at the time, but boy did they change many aspects of our lives then and ongoing.

I was year 12 when Sept 11 happened and just remember that period being numbing at time - back then I had this tiny tv beside my bed and would have fallen asleep just minutes before the news broke, so I didn't hear it until the next day

I remember that after arriving at school the next day, we were all called into an assembly with the events briefly discussed (though pretty sure everyone already knew anyway), that it was ok if we weren't ok and not sure if it was really discussed but while the school day did continue we didn't really do any scheduled work and the teachers were ok with it

Subsequently I've visited Ground Zero twice:
- Remembrance Day/Veterans Day in 2006; it was still just a hole in the ground at this stage and I just remember being overcome with this real sombre feeling. There was a lot of people around, a lot of chatter & stuff, until crossing the street to that block where suddenly it was silence other than a lone flutist playing Amazing Grace - no one taking, whispering etc, everyone was silent

It was only a few weeks before that I had been in Washington DC, visiting different memorials, Arlington National Cemetery where I watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and even with signs everywhere asking "please be quiet out of respect", people ignored. At Ground Zero though, no signage but people instinctively went silent

- 10 years later in 2016 after the memorial had opened, and while the place as a whole wasn't quite as eerie, the museum definitely left a lasting impact. One thing that stuck with me is that for all the footage we've seen, the news articles & stories that have been shared over the years, there was footage in the museum that I've been seen before

Last edited:
This type of computer was manufactured for usage in libraries.
Good ol' VT220 terminal. Had a couple of those, also IBM 3151s and (the best one IMO) an HP 700/44 grey screen. They weren't actually computers, they were serial terminals. Computers were expensive and so you had one computer with multiple terminals connected over serial cables. :thumbsu:

Even when they were replaced by PCs using network connections to larger computers, often the midrange computer had a serial terminal sitting on top to use as the console.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back