Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 7: West Coast Wonders v Ophidian Old Boys at The Colosseum

Remove this Banner Ad

Basics ?

I made my first cake for 30 years a few weeks ago, started by buying a tray
It will be easier the second time around as you now have the cake tin/tray.
I don't understand why people would buy a mix when in the same amount of time you can do it fresh.
What sort of cake did you make?

It will be easier the second time around as you now have the cake tin/tray.
I don't understand why people would buy a mix when in the same amount of time you can do it fresh.
What sort of cake did you make?
Ah , I was being weird, saw it was Middle child day on some site and LOL when I saw it was shared with Gooey butter cake day.
So I had a Middle Child day for she who I should listen to and me :)

Turned out OK, was nice just a massive sugar rush, so put the leftovers in the freezer and haven't been game to try some more.

Had a heap of fun doing it thou and posting on a match thread for something different

1726041187295.png

Better leave something for the next 4 days. page 24 now.
Wife Swap Talk GIF by Paramount Network

Sleepy Good Night GIF

Ah , I was being weird, saw it was Middle child day on some site and LOL when I saw it was shared with Gooey butter cake day.
So I had a Middle Child day for she who I should listen to and me :)

Turned out OK, was nice just a massive sugar rush, so put the leftovers in the freezer and haven't been game to try some more.

Had a heap of fun doing it thou and posting on a match thread for something different

View attachment 2107799
I always cut back the sugar in the recipes. Nice even colour there, CWA worthy :heavycheck:

View attachment 2100650

Speaking of last night, a unicorn came up on fb marketplace. A high precision Italian watchmaker's lathe with all the fruit. Built like a brick shithouse, still had the original hand scraping marks on the bed. $1000. I call it a unicorn because bargains like that only come up every 4-5 years. And if I hadn't just downsized from my factory to a crammed-to-the-ceiling single garage... :(
I have vices and tool chests on my dining table, why not a lathe for yours ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy-906701297.gif What indeed, just looking at the TV this morning and they had a little puff piece about 1 in 4 Adults collecting something/having a little side hustle/making around $5-10,000 a year with it.

I suppose I fall into that a little with my Dawn, other Aussie vices, Sidchrome, Proto, Hitachi - :) even have a lot of little camel figurines poking out from amongst my vices and stuff.

Just one question, 'What's this selling crap" ? to paraphrase Arnolds Twin in a different movie -'He who dies with the most wins" :cool:

That's ok they are probably going to be getting their Xmas stock in very soon if the ADM's aren't there now.'
I also understand the penchant for lingering in an interesting thread rather than go to threads that are same old nothing to see or say. So back to the covo about collecting and history kenneyswarriors one of the areas I collect in is Australian camping/beach/picnic gear. Tracing the love of Aussies for the great outdoors and their interaction with the landscape on holidays etc.
So let me tell you about 2 of the tents I have;
1/ is an Edwardian beach tent made by Gairs in Elizabeth St, Melbourne. Gairs supplied and manufactured all of the canvas products for the Australians in WWI, canvas water bottles, stretchers, flags, tents etc. It's a single pole tent with a square iron frame at the top, I love the pompom details around the top edge, it has leather and brass closures and could easily sleep 4 adults.
View attachment 2107284View attachment 2107285View attachment 2107286 View attachment 2107288

I have the Edwardian picnic set, chairs (also made by Gairs) etc to go with it. I'd say it's the only one in existance and what I'd grab if the house was on fire...(touch wood) at least I'd have a roof over my head.

This Edwardian picnic set is from Asprey's in London. I have many others from 1880-1950.
View attachment 2107298

The 2nd tent is made by Austral is for when the first cars came along. Here's the advertising for it. It's complete in it's orignal bag etc but I cant find the photos of the set up. It has a steel frame between the carport part and the sleeping part and is not that easy to set up. Of course you use the carport part during the day for living/eating etc and put the car in overnight in case it rains.

View attachment 2107297
Oh, and don't want you to think I skipped over this, something still not coming about the Tent-intrigues me. and loved the second Article, I grew up travelling around Vic and camping in a 1928 Austin 12, that tent would have made life and those cold winter mornings better.

View attachment 2109011 What indeed, just looking at the TV this morning and they had a little puff piece about 1 in 4 Adults collecting something/having a little side hustle/making around $5-10,000 a year with it.

I suppose I fall into that a little with my Dawn, other Aussie vices, Sidchrome, Proto, Hitachi - :) even have a lot of little camel figurines poking out from amongst my vices and stuff.

Just one question, 'What's this selling crap" ? to paraphrase Arnolds Twin in a different movie -'He who dies with the most wins" :cool:
And I spose dad falls into that category as well, he has been collecting Dinky Toys ( Diecast metal cars) since he was a little tacker in England, has thousands.

Another LOL, was having a search yesterday for stuff, couldn't find anything-(just keeping up to date) but I did find these, so I bought some $24 including postage for 20 tyres, figured dad could use them, if he ever drops in I'll even give them to him.
1726174781807.png

Oh, and don't want you to think I skipped over this, something still not coming about the Tent-intrigues me. and loved the second Article, I grew up travelling around Vic and camping in a 1928 Austin 12, that tent would have made life and those cold winter mornings better.
I grew up bush walking and camping all over Vic and (& the whole of Tas for 3months) that is when my folks weren't trawling the country clearing sales for my Mother's hobby sideline dealing in antiques in the early 70's. We had a VW Kombi Micro Bus (with a roof rack and trailer for the sales), which was automatic sleeping place for us kids, the adults had a tent. School holidays were always a trip interstate or to some far flung rellies.
One of the memorable trips was staying with friends of my mothers who had a double decker bus that they lived in outside of Brisbane.
The Austin would have been a living room on wheels no?
Dad is a car nut and when my parents met they used to do rally driving in Dad's Riley which he restored fully, then sold and is still around the traps he tells me.
It's no suprise is it that our childhoods inform our tastes as adults. Collecting, travelling, restoration and appreciation of history, places and relics.

And I spose dad falls into that category as well, he has been collecting Dinky Toys ( Diecast metal cars) since he was a little tacker in England, has thousands.

Another LOL, was having a search yesterday for stuff, couldn't find anything-(just keeping up to date) but I did find these, so I bought some $24 including postage for 20 tyres, figured dad could use them, if he ever drops in I'll even give them to him.
View attachment 2109016
NICE! So much more interesting than matchbox.

View attachment 2109011 What indeed, just looking at the TV this morning and they had a little puff piece about 1 in 4 Adults collecting something/having a little side hustle/making around $5-10,000 a year with it.

IMG_5593.jpeg
Yes...this is when you take the sideline to the max, which I did straight after lockdowns ended and had an actual bricks and mortar shop around the corner for a year. It was sensational to have a big showcase!

View attachment 2109027
Yes...this is when you take the sideline to the max, which I did straight after lockdowns ended and had an actual bricks and mortar shop around the corner for a year. It was sensational to have a big showcase!

It would be, that's brilliant, I get a kick/smile out of the stuff I've restored, like seeing it. Get into bed near my Sidchrome cabinets and it makes me laugh, 'your a nut colin"

I've maxed out my storage/display area, need something like that. ( I do have high ceilings, brick walls-hmmm, been thinking of mounting some vices on the wall and a couple of Tool cabinets up high) Actually going to put up a few vices this weekend now :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 7: West Coast Wonders v Ophidian Old Boys at The Colosseum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back