Preview Season 7, Round 7 v Fremantle: Saturday 8 October @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win in the end, was good to see us challenged and rally to have a great last 1/4 it means we know we can come from behind now, which will be important with the tougher games coming up

Was thinking the same, great to see a fightback when we’re behind.

Solid win in the end. After dishing out a couple of beltings there’s always that risk of complacency so was good to see how we’d go against sterner opposition. Despite their low ranking, Freo have probably been underrated this season and at some stage were due to put in a more solid effort.

Nice move by Doc throwing Ponter in the middle in the last.
Needed some class in there and provided it in spades.

Thought that was Chalton’s best game for the season, Martin a lot better than she has been as well especially early, Gould again looked unstoppable in the ruck and up forward and thought Thompson played a really important role at times.

If Simmons plays another AFLW game I’ll spew up… why is she in defence? why is she out there full stop? does not know what she’s doing just cost goals either directly or indirectly this match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know she has 11 goals, but I can't see anything in Woodland. When she is one-on-one, the ball seems to rebound very quickly.
Her positioning and anticipation also seems off. Would we benefit by playing someone else at FF?

32 goals in 19 games since the start of last year is not something easily replaced in a comp where goals are at a premium. Given that she’s still equal leading scorer without Phillips taking the best defender this year, she ain’t going anywhere.

I know she has 11 goals, but I can't see anything in Woodland. When she is one-on-one, the ball seems to rebound very quickly.
Her positioning and anticipation also seems off. Would we benefit by playing someone else at FF?

Even though she plays essentially full forward for us, her main value is in creating goals out of nothing. She's just an excellent kick for goal, whether it's a set shot, running towards goal, or soccering off the ground. She's well and truly worthwhile down there, but there is room for a more traditional full forward to play alongside her.

That third quarter had me worried! You have to say, Kiara Bowers, what an absolute star. She's a phenomenal player. Great to see us finish strong, but we'll need to be better against the top sides. Ponter in the midfield worked a treat! With a cameo like that, surely we'll see her there again in the weeks to come.

One thing that has gone right this season has been us finally figuring out how to use our "secondary" midfielders to good effect. Charlton (although she is often a first-choice mid now!), Munyard, Thompson and Newman have been great this season, and Martin seems to be finally getting back to her previous standard. Charlton in particular was fantastic today. For whatever reason Ballard couldn't get near it today, it felt like the ball wasn't near her much. Tonon was alright.

I thought Gould was excellent today, perhaps her best game yet? Looked absolutely dominant in the ruck and kicked two goals as well. McKinnon not too far behind her either, although that woman simply cannot kick for goal. Love their duo. Kustermann looked decent first up, seems to have enough pace and thinks quickly. Didn't get much of the ball but didn't give much to her opponent either.

The usual suspects in Marinoff, Hatchard, Randall and Biddell were quality as usual. Allan and Allen pretty good, Rajcic alright when involved in offensive plays but suspect defensively. Woodland just keeps on keeping on with another two goals despite barely getting near the ball, I don't know how she does it but somehow she does! Whiteley's only value is in sometimes halving contests when outnumbered, but that shouldn't be enough to keep her in the side.

I hate to harp on it, but Simmons should not be playing. Almost every time Fremantle got something going, it was because Simmons was involved in the play. She is just so tentative with how she plays, and her opponents know that they can just run off her and she won't stop them. I don't understand why she keeps getting selected. Surely, surely she goes out next week with Waterhouse, Kelly and potentially Jones available. Even Button is streets ahead of her. Give Mueller a go even. Hell, at this point I'd take Dowrick over her, ACL injury and all. Or at the very least if she must play, just stick her ahead of the ball and give her a license to hunt it. Having her mind a player is like putting a neon sign above their heads saying "kick it to me!"

Also, I have to write about a little bugbear of mine, this is the sixth season now that they've been playing with the lasso rules. How is it that players still don't realise that they should touch the ball if it's going to dribble over the line and it came off a teammate? It was Hatchard today that got to the ball with plenty of time to touch it, but wasn't realistically going to be able to get a clean possession, so just let it dribble over the line. Free kick against! Contrast that with Randall breaking the land speed record desperately trying to get to a ball before it bounced over the line and nearly killing herself in the process.

Watching the replay for this one, I was surprised how close the game was at half time despite basically dominating the game. It was being played in our forward half and we were winning the midfield comfortably.

Forward connection still an issue. I don't think we need to create a role for players like Whiteley, who basically adds nothing, I'd rather a more nimble forward line that can scrap goals from nowhere.

We also have a few weak links in defense that tend to concede goals from seemingly nowhere. Simmons is absolutely not AFLW standard and I'm not that enthused about some of our other options.

Forward connection still an issue. I don't think we need to create a role for players like Whiteley, who basically adds nothing, I'd rather a more nimble forward line that can scrap goals from nowhere.

We also have a few weak links in defense that tend to concede goals from seemingly nowhere. Simmons is absolutely not AFLW standard and I'm not that enthused about some of our other options.

Our defence is interesting to me. In some sense it's our least concern, with players like Allan and Biddell there, Randall always an option to go back, and Allen and Rajcic doing alright. But beyond them, the cupboard is essentially bare. Kustermann did a decent job down back today so at least that's another option. After that, I guess Whiteley is going back there? Or Considine? I mean, we're already playing Simmons back there. Can Mueller play down back? Sacrifice SLT's game? Ponter? There's no great options to go with.

For next week, the obvious chances are Simmons and Whiteley out, Jones and Waterhouse in. Waterhouse replaces Whiteley and immediately makes our forwardline more dynamic. Jones just comes back in and bolsters the mid/wing rotations. Kustermann takes over whatever defensive spot Simmons supposedly had. If anyone else is dropped then bring Prowse in (although more likely they would go with Button).

Once Kelly is back from injury it comes down to a choice between her, Button, Kustermann, Tonon and Ballard for the 21st spot.

Last edited:
Freo are a significantly better team than their ladder position would indicate.

Way, way better than port, or GWS. They... got lots of contested posessions, can mark it, decent kicks, don't fumble.

Looking at the fixture, I think they've played nearly every team in the top 8. What a shocker of a draw for Freo.

Saw the highlights. We just looked too strong when it mattered. Can see another flag if we keep this up.

Watching the replay for this one, I was surprised how close the game was at half time despite basically dominating the game. It was being played in our forward half and we were winning the midfield comfortably.

The game was close really it was mainly because of our poor goal kicking. 7 goals, 7 behinds doesn’t look all bad, but then if you also include about half a dozen close-range snaps going out on the full or out of bounds, we could have easily doubled our score tally. I was going bonkers on some of those easy misses!

This game highlighted for me our lack of forward craft when the heat is on. We don’t really have many natural forwards who can snap it from anywhere other than Ponter and Woodland. The others mostly rely on marks and kicking them from the 30-40m zone, and their kicking for goals is certainly not at elite level. This is the one glaring issue we have this season since Erin has left.

We're in the running. I think Brisbane and Melbourne are ahead of us at the moment but we are capable of beating them on our day.
What I thought yesterday

Adelaide and Melbourne have the 2 best teams
Brisbane is the best coached.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back